PDA

View Full Version : when will the sickness end.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-20-2013, 11:26 PM
kids have been sick on and off since they started daycare right after Thanksgiving. Last week the kids were doing so much better, and i was so glad bc DS was finally in much better mood about going to school etc, and we could finally have DS's bday party this weekend. then yesterday DS starts getting a runny nose. Today he is snotty and is eyes were watering so badly, it almost looked like mucus was coming out of his eyes . Then right before bedtime he spiked a 103 temp. Ugh. I do wonder if part of it is allergies bc his eyes were just watering SO much, and the skin around his eyes seemed red, and the onset of symptoms seemed pretty fast.

I guess I should just be glad that DH has the day off tomorrow so I dont' have to worry about taking a sick day. Though DH leaves for the week on Tues so I just pray he doesnt' get worse or that DD doesn't get sick.

Ugh, I am so tired of watching my kids get bug after bug. I am tired of catching everything they have and trying to work at the same time (i have yet to take a sick day myself...DH has had to take 3 already to watch sick kids). I am just tired of the stress of watching them get so sick, and seeing them finally get better, only to watch them get sick again.

This is their 5th round of illnesses since beginning of December. How many illnesses does it take before we can get 1 full week of not being sick at all??

twowhat?
01-21-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm sorry, it really is so hard:( I wish I could say it gets better after the winter but our experience is that the first year just plain sucks when it comes to daycare illnesses. DH and I had 16 sick days (8 each for the year) and between the two of us, we used them ALL for sick kids (including a few for very sick parents!) that first year. And that's not even counting the times that we decided to not use the sick days and instead make up the work on evenings/weekends. It's just plain rotten. We got some of the worst illnesses in the summer...a stomach bug where no one in the family could eat for 2 weeks, and HFM, though yes, the frequency of illnesses did lessen a bit in the summer. And I remember somewhere in Baby 411 where it says there are like hundreds of different cold viruses. They're probably the main culprit of "daycare drip" which seems like it will never go away (but it will, eventually!)

The good news is that it DOES get better. It just takes time. And to look at the bright side (if there is one, LOL), it's probably easier that they get sick now than once they're in grade school and have/want to do lots of extracurricular activities, etc. and are more aware of having to miss events due to illness.

Hang in there!!

o_mom
01-21-2013, 09:48 AM
That sucks. I agree - it's pay now or pay later. When DS1 started preschool, he was sick like clockwork every two weeks for 6 months. He did manage to mainly hit weekends, so he didn't miss much school, but it was rough. The other two didn't do as bad when they started because they had already been exposed to all his crud.

Maybe add some vitamin C? Can't hurt anyway. Hopefully you are at the turning point!

♥ms.pacman♥
01-21-2013, 11:54 AM
thanks guys. ds temp was much better at night (he slept in our bed) and dh told me his temp was normal this morning so far and his eyes seem much better. they are home and will be watching the inauguration. am so glad dh had today as a holiday!

and luckily dh gets 12 sick days a year and can use them for caring for sick family members..so far since i started working almost 2 months ago he has had to use 3 for sick kids and i think (I hope!) the worst or bulk of illness has passed so hopefully we should be okay in that dept for the rest of the year. Seriously, this has to be turning point, right? DH & i have EACH had 4 nasty colds plus one tummy bug so far this season...luckily the worst of it hit on weekend, holiday or xmas break and/or we just powered through, so neither of us have had to take sick day for ourselves. I know i can take sick days as well, i should check into how many..with dh traveling i may have to use them.

eta: i know i should also consider myself very lucky that only DS is getting it really bad....so far DD despite getting whatever DS gets, she as never gotten as sick (no fever, no vomiting, no ear infections etc). despite coughing up a lung and snotting up a storm, she just somehow rolls with it. dh & i joke that she already paid her dues with her first month of life (24day NICU stay with feeding tube, etc). lol, maybe true.