PDA

View Full Version : Does looking at the "pattern of strengths and weaknesses" apply here?

JustMe
01-21-2013, 03:44 PM
I have heard that schools are now supposed (or can, not sure which?) to also look at the pattern of strengths and weaknesses in determining if a child qualifies for services.

Can you tell me if this applies here? Dd has historically tested okay (somewhat under grade level, but not special ed) in math. However, this is because she is good at calculations and can figure out an equation. She does not "get" and cannot do more abstract math such as word problems, figuring out what sign to use, etc. People keep pointing to scores, but often when I look at the actual tests (the times I am actual able to), I see exactly what I described---a number of calculation/straightforward equation like problems that are correct, but everything else is wrong.

this kind of struggle is consistent with her diagnosis, FWIW, but I still get school personnel who only see a test score. I know that eventually, possibly even this year, her test scores will start to slip too as there are less and less straightforward equations, but for now here we are?

Any knowledge on this? Feel free to point me to the appropriate section on the website everyone uses---I just can't seem to find what I am looking for on there. Thanks!

Gena
01-21-2013, 06:30 PM
I would suggest starting with reading the Wrightslaw section on tests and measurements:

http://www.wrightslaw.com/advoc/articles/tests_measurements.htm

There are a coupe of chapters on this topic in their book " From Emotions to Advocacy", but the above is a good start.

What test sores are you referring to? Classroom tests? Standardized tests? The Woodcock Johnson Achievement Test has separate subtests for math calculation and math reasoning. Other achievement tests do too, but the WJ seems to be very popular with schools. Its really important to look a subtest scores instead of composite scores.