PDA

View Full Version : Educational TV show for 2 yo

jenrub
01-23-2013, 05:27 PM
What's a good educational tv show for a 2 yo who didn't watch tv prior except for some baby einstein? I wanna expose her to some a day but don't know where to begin since there are a lot out there (I think). Getting it by streaming from Netflix would be a plus since it would be available any time of the day I might have her watch. TIA!

katydid1971
01-23-2013, 05:47 PM
I don't have netflix so I don't know what shows they have but at 2 my DD loved Little Einsteins on on Disney Jr. Disney Jr has several good shows. Octonauts is good, it teaches about ocean animals and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse teaches some math concepts. PBS Kids is good too, Super Why teaches reading, Curious George teaches math and science.

edurnemk
01-23-2013, 05:51 PM
At that age DS loved: Thomas and Friends, Word World, Super Why, Sesame Street, Curious George (PBS Kids in general has good shows for that age). Also Backyardigands is nice, not educational per se but age appropriate and cute.

We also have a couple of Leapfrog DVD's (Letter Factory and Word Factory)

ETA: Mickey Mouse clubhouse is another good one

wellyes
01-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Anything PBS Kids is commercial-free. I don't think any kid show is more educational than another, honestly. But some are more suitable for younger kids... meaning, gentle, with no villains or scariness.

Dinosaur Train (dinosaurs)
Curious George (science & animals)
Cat in the Hat (science & animals)
Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (social and emotional themes)

YouAreTheFocus
01-23-2013, 06:53 PM
My DS's all-time fave is Peppa Pig (Nick Jr). Even adult family members find it amusing. We also like that each episode consists of 5 mini episodes, so he can watch just 5 min at a time.

Other hits are Team Umizoomi, Curious George, Wonder Pets.

karstmama
01-23-2013, 07:23 PM
'signing time'!! that was our big go-to for a good while!

then 'meet the numbers', 'meet the letters', etc. they are simple bordering on sleep-inducing for adults, but my toddler loved them.

candaceb
01-23-2013, 08:00 PM
DS loves Little Einsteins, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, and Chloe's Closet.

candaceb
01-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Also Sesame Street!

ett
01-23-2013, 08:38 PM
DS's loved signing time at that age.

katydid1971
01-23-2013, 08:42 PM
DS's loved signing time at that age.
:yeahthat: Those are great, I forgot about those!!!

abh5e8
01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
another vote for signing time. they are a dvd series (no clue if they are on netflix) but we get them from the library

Seitvonzu
01-23-2013, 10:25 PM
we didn't have "real" cable until after my child was already hooked on pbs kids. we liked the lack of commercials and honestly-- after 2 days of super why my kid was pointing out letters everywhere....literally :) i thought that was pretty awesome :) (of course ymmv on that!)

edurnemk
01-23-2013, 10:50 PM
we didn't have "real" cable until after my child was already hooked on pbs kids. we liked the lack of commercials and honestly-- after 2 days of super why my kid was pointing out letters everywhere....literally :) i thought that was pretty awesome :) (of course ymmv on that!)

DS learned the letters from Super Why, too, he knew all of them by 21 months, I couldn't believe it.

jennilynn
01-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Caillou. It's my 2 y/o's favorite. We get it on Hulu but Netflix may have it too. He also loves Super Why and Team Umizoomi.

BabyBearsMom
01-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Sesame Street is very popular in our house. That was the only thing DD1 was interested at all until very recently. Now she likes Curious George, Arthur, Doc McStuffins, Special Agent Oso, Dora the Explorer and Micky Mouse Clubhouse. Of these shows, Sesame Street is definitely the most educational. But I like DoC McStuffins a lot because I think the main character is a positive role mode for DD1 who has now decided that she wants to be a doctor (a big upgrade from her prior aspiration of wanting to be a muppet).

jenrub
01-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Thank you everyone for your inputs! I will be checking all your recommendations and see what DD is interested in, at the same time, understandable and educational enough for her.

boolady
01-24-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't think it's educational, but one of the first things DD ever watched, besides Sesame Street, was Backyardigans.