PDA

View Full Version : WDYT of Tunics over Skinny Jeans

mypa
01-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Crinkle Top
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Tops-T-shirts/Short-Sleeved-Tops/WA343/Womens-Crinkle-Top.html?NavGroupID=18

Weekend Tunic
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Tunics/WL657/Womens-Weekend-Tunic.html

What do you think of these types of tunic tops that nips in below the bust, looser beneath and ends just below the buttocks. I just got the Crinkle Top (waiting for the other one) and can't help but to think maternity. I love tunics that is styled more like a short dress, like Boden's stripy tunic, that ends mid-thigh worn with leggings.

But the tops in the link just look like really long tops designed for pregnant women, especially the Crinkle Top, which is very loose below the bust (I even went with the smaller size). These tops are too short to wear with leggings so I plan to wear them with skinny jeans. From the chest up it fits beautifully and is a very nice linen. I'm the opposite of tall and skinny so maybe it's just my body type.

So, what do you think of tops that ends just below your butt?

lovin2shop
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
I think this totally depends on body type. I'm short and busty, so these would probably make me look about 6 months preggers. On a long and lean frame, or even a boyish figured petite, I think they would be very cute. Occasionally, I can pull off this style but I usually ask my DH to weigh in on the maternity top issue.

katydid1971
01-24-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm apple shaped so this style looks like maternity on me but I have a very thin friend who looks super cute in things like that. I agree with pp, totally depends on body type.

DrSally
01-24-2013, 05:21 PM
ITA it depends on body type. I have a friend who is busty, and she won't do any empire waist style dresses or tops.

TwinFoxes
01-24-2013, 05:55 PM
I actually like them. I'm not skinny, but I have a relatively flat stomach, so I don't feel like I look pregnant, and no one's ever said I do. I think the crinkle shirt just looks like a regular top to me, it doesn't seem very tunic like. But I'm tall, so it would probably not hit me below the buttocks.

ETA: FWIW, I'm very busty. I don't buy tunics without some sort of stretch, so that it feels fitted, but not clingy. Maybe that's the key (for me). It's when tops kind of float above my abdomen that I think "next!"

hellokitty
01-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Yeah, if you aren't large busted or have any type of mummy tummy, you can probably wear them. I have both of the above issues, so it would look maternity on me.

lmintzer
01-24-2013, 08:26 PM
I find I have to be careful too. I am short and though not heavy, definitely curvy. I find that those kinds of tops can look maternity. I have very few items with an empire waist that work for me.

I am better with tunics that are straighter that I can belt or ones that nip in at the natural waist.

ChristinaLucia
01-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Everything Boden looks maternity on me and I am thin in the middle.

I like the idea of a tunic and skinny jeans though!

*myfoursons
01-24-2013, 09:00 PM
I won't go near that silhouette ever -- I always feel it makes me look maternity. And I am more than sick of maternity clothes!

mypa
01-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Ladies, I appreciate all the replies! I'm short, busty, and have a mummy tummy so I'm shipping the items back to Boden tomorrow without feeling any angst! Thanks for your help :-)

citymama
01-25-2013, 02:58 AM
I'll be in the minority and say: If you can pull off the skinny jeans look, you can pull off the tunic plus jeans look. A lot of people wear skinny jeans but not everyone can make it work.