PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the Costco Dome Climber?

roobee
01-24-2013, 10:21 PM
I really want this for my backyard! http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Outdoor-Space-Dome-Climber/dp/B001C81DO6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

My kids would love this, but I'm a little worried that it may not be the safest piece of equipment. I like to let my kids loose in the backyard, I like how they play together with minimal supervision - would this be asking for trouble?

It's like $129 or $139 at Costco. Any feedback?

ETA - my son currently treats my living room like his own personal jungle gym - which is why I'm so anxious to get him something that's actually meant to be climbed on (unlike my couch)

fivi2
01-24-2013, 10:28 PM
We bought one on amazon a few years back. It gets very little use at my house. My girls are climbers but never really cared for it.

georgiegirl
01-24-2013, 10:33 PM
My kids would love it, I would never get one because it seems dangerous (broken bones!) One of the nearby schools has one of those jungle gyms on their playground (over blacktop of course!), and dd went wild when she saw it. Her two friends were apprehensive and cautious, but DD went crazy on it. I didn't tell her how I used to hang from my knees. She wanted to spend the whole play date there, but the other girls weren't interested in it. Depends on the child, but I'm too much of a worrier to own that sort of thing. And I'd be worried about other kids injuring themselves on it,

doberbrat
01-24-2013, 11:54 PM
the girls play on one nearly identical at an indoor play center where we go. The metal pieces that connect the bars are a little sharp and have caused several nasty bruises from falls.

That being said, dd2 has been climbing it since she was 18mo (or even younger) and its her favorite piece of equipment. They hang upside down, do flips, reverse situps and generally monkey around ;)

ezcc
01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
We had one of these in our yard when I was a kid, we loved it! I don't remember any injuries.

essnce629
01-28-2013, 05:02 PM
I have the Lifetime Geometric Dome from Amazon and it's a lot bigger than the Costco one. We have the Costco/Easy Outdoor one on display at my store and it's pretty small. DS1 is 9 and he and several of his friends can fit on the Lifetime one, but the Costco one looks like it's for preschoolers. If you look at the picture on Amazon of the Costco one with the kids on it, you can see how small it is. Even though the Lifetime one is big, DS2 (3 1/2 years old) has been able to climb to the top of it for a while now. We've had it for almost 2 years.

This is the one we have: www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Geometric-Climber-Center-Primary/dp/B002XULJDW

Our only gets a lot of play when other kids come over-- then my kids finally play on it!

roobee
01-28-2013, 06:10 PM
I have the Lifetime Geometric Dome from Amazon and it's a lot bigger than the Costco one. We have the Costco/Easy Outdoor one on display at my store and it's pretty small. DS1 is 9 and he and several of his friends can fit on the Lifetime one, but the Costco one looks like it's for preschoolers. If you look at the picture on Amazon of the Costco one with the kids on it, you can see how small it is. Even though the Lifetime one is big, DS2 (3 1/2 years old) has been able to climb to the top of it for a while now. We've had it for almost 2 years.

This is the one we have: www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Geometric-Climber-Center-Primary/dp/B002XULJDW

Our only gets a lot of play when other kids come over-- then my kids finally play on it!

Thank you! I think I'm going to pull the trigger even though I'm a little nervous to have my monkeys climbing on it, and I shouldn't be - I had a bigger jungle gym when I was a kid. Do you have mulch or anything down around the dome?

I found the bigger one for even cheaper $170 http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Geometric-Climber-Center-Earthtone/dp/B004K0Q8LG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359410305&sr=8-2&keywords=dome+climber and even though it's bigger, it looks safer because it has knobs instead of screws at the joints.

essnce629
02-06-2013, 03:42 AM
Do you have mulch or anything down around the dome?

Oops, just seeing this now! No, we don't have anything underneath the dome, just grass. Our gardeners move it around the yard easily when the mow. We've had no issues with just grass. We also have a Lifetime swing set with just grass underneath as well.

IansMom
02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Oops, just seeing this now! No, we don't have anything underneath the dome, just grass. Our gardeners move it around the yard easily when the mow. We've had no issues with just grass. We also have a Lifetime swing set with just grass underneath as well.

Which Lifetime swing set do you have?