PDA

View Full Version : When did you try undies at night?

Kymberley
01-25-2013, 12:12 PM
DS has been dry overnight, with 1 exception, for a month. He is 3.5. DH thought we should try underwear a couple of nights ago, but DS wasn't ready so he slept in a pull up again. I'm fine with that because I'm in no hurry to clean an accident in the middle of the night should one occur. But at the same time, if he's ready we'll switch. How did you know when to switch?

mommylamb
01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
DS1 didn't potty train until he was 3.5, but once he did, he was totally dry at night as well as during the day. I think we had him in pull ups for 2 or 3 nights after he was day time PT, but he was always dry, so he pretty much went immediately into underpants at night.

hillview
01-25-2013, 12:18 PM
I would ask DS if he wants to try. Did he have an accident?

We moved to unders for DS2 when he was dry for 2 weeks in a row.

Kymberley
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
I would ask DS if he wants to try. Did he have an accident?

We moved to unders for DS2 when he was dry for 2 weeks in a row.

He's had one accident which was 3 weeks ago. We were all set to go with the underwear 2 nights ago, but he asked for a pull up so I didn't argue.

Kymberley
01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
DS1 didn't potty train until he was 3.5, but once he did, he was totally dry at night as well as during the day. I think we had him in pull ups for 2 or 3 nights after he was day time PT, but he was always dry, so he pretty much went immediately into underpants at night.

You know, that sounds a lot like DS. I fought and fretted over his potty training for several months, and one day he just did it. I'm sure he's ready. I'll ask him again tonight. :)

AnnieW625
01-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Um, at night I think DD1 was over 5. I just remember not even offering them at night until her pull up was dry first and then it didn't really happen until we had a talk one day about how she could get up from her nap at daycare and go pee on her own. Prior to that I had been sending pull ups for nap as well. DD1 day trained at 3, but still wore a pull up at nap when she napped at home. She dropped her at home nap at 4/1/2. I do remember trying panties for naps when she was day trained, but it was a big fail and she peed in them.

rin
01-25-2013, 04:45 PM
We started doing undies at night after about a month of daytime underwear success. DD was 2.5 (about 30 months). We've never had a middle-of-the-night accident, although there were a couple in the morning when she woke up and we didn't get in there fast enough. We realized that she was holding it just fine all night, and then was just going pee in the diaper once she was awake, so we had to train her to wake up and first thing go pee on the potty.

FWIW if you're worried about accidents in the middle of the night you can get two waterproof bed covers and two sheets, then make up the bed sort of like a sheet/waterproof cover lasagna; do the mattress, a cover, a sheet, then another cover, then another sheet. If the bed does get wet, it takes two seconds to pull off the top sheet and cover, and then there's a dry layer underneath.

Kymberley
01-25-2013, 04:57 PM
We started doing undies at night after about a month of daytime underwear success. DD was 2.5 (about 30 months). We've never had a middle-of-the-night accident, although there were a couple in the morning when she woke up and we didn't get in there fast enough. We realized that she was holding it just fine all night, and then was just going pee in the diaper once she was awake, so we had to train her to wake up and first thing go pee on the potty.

FWIW if you're worried about accidents in the middle of the night you can get two waterproof bed covers and two sheets, then make up the bed sort of like a sheet/waterproof cover lasagna; do the mattress, a cover, a sheet, then another cover, then another sheet. If the bed does get wet, it takes two seconds to pull off the top sheet and cover, and then there's a dry layer underneath.

I still have the Ultimate Crib Sheet covers from his crib. I wonder if I could use those sideways?

georgiegirl
01-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Dd was 2.75, and DS was 3 yrs 3 mo. With DS, I would have kept him in pull-ups longer, but he said they were itchy and insisted on wearing underwear. At that point he was dry 5/7 nights, and he adjusted better than I did.

rin
01-25-2013, 05:12 PM
I still have the Ultimate Crib Sheet covers from his crib. I wonder if I could use those sideways?

I don't have any experience with the Ultimate Crib Sheet covers, but if they're basically a waterproof pad I don't see why not. We got the whole bed mattress cover (we did this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007YHBHO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00), but we didn't have any other waterproof covers so we didn't really have a choice. The only thing I could see being a problem is if your DS moves a lot while he's sleeping, but if you're pretty sure he'd stay put on top of the pad then I bet that would work perfectly.

sariana
01-25-2013, 05:30 PM
DS was 7. DD just turned 5 and still needs Good Nights. She is dry about once every couple of weeks.

Kymberley
01-25-2013, 05:32 PM
This is great! Thank you so much everyone for all of your input. I need to get another set of sheets and we should be set. :D

AnnieW625
01-25-2013, 05:47 PM

That is what I did with DD1. I also used some of these multi purpose pads with a Towle underneath:
http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_us&url=%2Fproduct%2Findex.jsp%3FproductId%3D3368919&domain=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toysrus.com

citymama
01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
We moved to undies at night between 3 and 3.5 at DD1s request. I couldnt believe she was ready, but DH pointed out she was waking up dry and running to the bathroom in the morning. She didn't have a single accident after switching so she may have been ready by 3. But she day trained at 2, so had been PTed over a year by then. I'm learning that what DD1 did is not necessarily the norm, certainly not for my younger DD. This is def one of those ymmv situations.

Kymberley
01-25-2013, 06:53 PM
That is what I did with DD1. I also used some of these multi purpose pads with a Towle underneath:
http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_us&url=%2Fproduct%2Findex.jsp%3FproductId%3D3368919&domain=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toysrus.com

I used to have those! I'll have to look for them, but I think they got destroyed in the wash once. Maybe not though. Off to check! And thanks for the tip!

wendibird22
01-25-2013, 08:55 PM
We used the ultimate crib sheet sideways on DD1s twin bed. Sideways it is wide enough to cover the entire width of the mattress and just long enough to provide good coverage if she moved around a bit. We have two of them so if there's a middle of the night accident we just take the wet one off and put a clean one on. Easy clean up and much less laundry.

BabbyO
01-31-2013, 11:19 AM
I haven't read all the posts, but I will say this. Stachio PT'ed (daytime) at just over 3 yo. about 2 mo after daytime PTing he would go 6-10 nights in a row and be completely dry when he woke up...so we tried undies on him at night (he wanted to wear them). Inevitably when he wore undies to bed he had accidents. The holidays were approaching and with all the chaos I implored him to wear pullups or diapers to bed because I just couldnt' deal with the extra work of wet sheets every morning.

Well, on New Years Eve he must have made a resolution to wear underwear to bed. He wet every single night except for 2 from NYE till Jan 19. I would ask him what he thought would help, we limited drinks before bedtime, we tried waking him when we went to bed (that was disastrous), we let him wear undies under vinyl lined pants. Every time I asked he what he thought might help, he would calmly say, "Just keep trying, mom."

So we let him just keep trying. On Jan 19, he stayed at Grandma's for the night, and since we were there I asked him to wear pull ups but promised he could wear his regular underwear the next night. He woke up dry the next morning. We went home and he started wearing underwear again...he was dry again. He's been dry for the last 13 mornings. He had one accident as he was going from his room to the bathroom last weekend, but his bed was dry. I think we're past the worst of it.

So for us we just had to be patient...like he said and he got it. FWIW, I did take another posters advice and put 2 layers of sheets/water proof mattress pads on each day so that when he had an accident in the middle of the night, I could just take the first layer off and his bed was already made. That did help a lot!

BabyBearsMom
01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
We switched immediately when we potty trained. DD1 could not understand why it was underpants in the day and diapers at night. It was all or nothing with her. I get her up every night before I go to bed to go potty and she is fine 99% of the time. Good Nights make these absorbant pads that you can stick to the sheets. I have one under DD1's fitted sheet so if she does have an accident, i don't have to change the mattress pads too.

Snow mom
01-31-2013, 02:09 PM
It sounds like your DS is ready whenever he decides he's ready. We moved DD to undies at night sometime right before 3.5. She's only had two or three accidents in the last 6 months. She seemed to stop peeing in her sleep really young and just needed to learn to use the potty first thing in the morning rather than peeing in a pullup. She can actually go all night and then spend half an hour putzing around the house in the morning before it becomes an emergency running to the potty situation--I think her bladder is stronger than mine.

sunshine873
01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
We did it from the start. DD did pretty good. She did have some accidents, but it was tout of control. For a few weeks, DH or I would wake her up to go potty when we were going to bed and that seemed to help her learn that she could get up and go if she had to.

YouAreTheFocus
01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
I think your DS sounds ready! For us DS started wearing night undies very soon after he was PT'd (like within a week). It took forever to get him onboard w/ undies & PT in general, but then one day he decided to switch to undies and that was that. He asked to keep them on for nap time and had been dry in bed for awhile so we were ok with it. Good luck to your and your DS!