PDA

View Full Version : DH: The rooms are less cluttered, it's nice

niccig
01-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Yes it is. We moved some of our furniture around yesterday and in process, did some purging.

We have a small dining room with a table that's too big, but waiting until we renovate kitchen to replace it. It's also my study space, so it's a small room with a big table and lots of books/papers on the buffet and table and a wine fridge in the corner. The table was piled with stuff, so we often ate in front of TV.

We moved the wine fridge into kitchen alcove space, moved the dining room table into our large living room, that is never used because we're always in the family room, and moved the desk/filing cabinet from the bedroom alcove into the dining room.

I now have a dedicated work space (dining room with desk, computer, printer, filing cabinet), a dedicated dining space again (living room) and a dedicated bedroom (got computer out of there) with a reading nook (put chaise from the living room into the bedroom alcove).

Doing all of this meant DH had to go through piles of computer related junk stacked up on desk and decide what to keep and what to toss. I still have to go through desk drawers and filing cabinet and purge.

We've lost our guest room (sofa still in living room is pull out bed, and there isn't room for the bed and the dining table) but MIL is the only one that visits us and she just visited and said she would be fine sleeping on the full bottom bunk in DS's room. DS can either sleep in our room on blow up mattress or MIL said he could sleep on top bunk. DH isn't sure, but if MIL is fine with it, it's fine. And it means that every day we don't have a guest (way more days), we have better use of space in our small home. Just wished we had done this ages ago!

AJP
01-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Enjoy your new spaces! I love rearranging furniture and rooms!

Nooknookmom
01-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Oh how I envy you. I have begun to re arrange the living room but that meant purging and re arranging the room's where DD's toys are. Then it leads me to what will be the dining room someday but is now storage central and I can't even go there yet!

Our kitchen table looks a lot like DD's kindy class all of her craft and school
supplies are in bins bc that is what she does most often. Work and draw. So we eat in front of the tv. Blah!

I did purge some stuff in DD's room - actually had her do it!

I need to do my office so I can see the desk.

Small house, lots of stuff=headache!

niccig
01-29-2013, 03:39 AM
Oh how I envy you. I have begun to re arrange the living room but that meant purging and re arranging the room's where DD's toys are. Then it leads me to what will be the dining room someday but is now storage central and I can't even go there yet!

Our kitchen table looks a lot like DD's kindy class all of her craft and school
supplies are in bins bc that is what she does most often. Work and draw. So we eat in front of the tv. Blah!

I did purge some stuff in DD's room - actually had her do it!

I need to do my office so I can see the desk.

Small house, lots of stuff=headache!

We've still got a long way to go. Part of our problem is that our furniture is too big for some of the rooms or DH has some things he bought pre-me that don't really fit into this house (hello side table in the living room that is a fountain with a glass top, but in the 11 yrs I've known DH, it's never worked, but he won't get rid of it). DH's comment about how nice it is to walk in the dining room and living room is I hope a start to realise we have to purge some things and donate things that don't work in our space. He did mention last night that the fountain side table is kind of boring when it's not a fountain, I didn't say anything, and am hoping he'll want to get rid of it (he knows I don't like it).

And on the purging, there's been a shipping box in our family room with the old direct TV DVR in it for the last 6 months. I ask DH to find out what he has to do to return it, thinking it's like Zappos and he has to print out a shipping label. No, the return shipping label is IN the box. All he had to do was tape up the box, stick the label on it and take it to UPS. That's it. And it's been cluttering up the family room for SIX months. I made him do it right then (handed him the packing tape) then insisted he put it in my car as I have another package to send. It was raining and he didn't want to go out in rain, wanted to leave it in the family room until the next morning. I insisted he do it then as otherwise it would be another 6 months before it got out of the house!