PDA

View Full Version : London - where to stay? Where to eat?

MMMommy
01-29-2013, 02:11 PM
So DDs and I might accompany DH on a business trip to London next month. Just a few nights there. I know nothing about lodging in London. DH suggested I look into hotels near Harrods and Selfridges, as he thinks we will enjoy shopping and browsing while he is at his work conference.

Any suggestions on hotels, restaurants and "must" activities?

Thanks!

citymama
01-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Bookmarking bc we are going this summer and I want to know too! I have a work trip so hotel is already taken care of (plus we have relatives to stay with after) but I'd love to hear about great activities. When I went as a kid I loved the zoo, Natural History Museum, Mme. Tussauds, Buckingham Palace, Kew Gardens, etc. but that was a loooong time ago!

nfowife
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
We found our place via VRBO and with a child, that's where I'd suggest you look. It's just really nice to have a separate space to put them down for a nap or early bedtime while you relax for a bit. If you want a hotel, we know a bunch of people that have stayed at base2stay in kensington and liked it. I think they have a family suite type of setup as well.
We did Harrods, also Hyde Park playground (Diana memorial pirate playground), went to a kid's puppet show in Islington (http://www.littleangeltheatre.com/lat/ , take the tube, it's just a suburb of inner London), the science musem in Kensington is free and has a great children's area on the bottom floor, and went to Greenwich which was a nice day trip.

Philly Mom
01-29-2013, 03:49 PM
With kids, I highly recommend renting a Flat. It is cheaper than a hotel much of the time. As a kid, we did that when we went to London. We stayed around the corner from the Ritz for a fraction of the cost. As for things to do, how old are your children and how long will you be there? DH is English. We are in England every 6 months.

hillview
01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
We stayed at the London Marriott Marble Arch with kids they have a pool which was nice for the boys. We've also rented a VBRO place near the London Eye which was super. PM me if you are interested in this option and I can give you the flat info.

I don't know how old your kids are but we've enjoyed
- the tower of london
- st james area
- princess diana's playground
- the london eye was ok but unless your kids are older not really work it, we did get advance tickets which is a must
- hamley's toy store
- tea at Fortnum and Mason (prefer here to Harrods personally)
- food court at Harrods
- museum of natural history

HTH

MMMommy
01-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the tips! DDs will be 9 and almost 8. So we don't need to worry about naps and such.

Philly Mom
01-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the tips! DDs will be 9 and almost 8. So we don't need to worry about naps and such.

Your kids are a great age. I would make sure to get tickets to a show. They have discount ticket places in the West End where you can get tickets the day of a show. I highly recommend it. I am not sure what is playing then, but if Joseph is playing that is a great musical for that age. I saw Phantom, Les Mis and Miss Saigon at age 10 in London. Abba may also be appropriate. I agree with many of the suggestions already made. If your kids like history, the Churchill War Rooms are great. They are right by Parliment and Big Ben. I love walking in London. Hyde Park is great as is Kensington Park. Tower of London is a must. If you want to do a day trip out of London, Windsor Castle is just outside of London and you can take a train there. If the Queen is not there, I think they do tours. I believe Legoland is right by there too.

As for food, I think the NYT did a 36 hours in London or something similar in the past year. They mention a couple Indian places, one that I have been to and LOVE. They also make a couple other good suggestions. You will probably do well with going to Pubs.

hillview
01-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Your kids are a great age. I would make sure to get tickets to a show. They have discount ticket places in the West End where you can get tickets the day of a show. I highly recommend it. I am not sure what is playing then, but if Joseph is playing that is a great musical for that age. I saw Phantom, Les Mis and Miss Saigon at age 10 in London. Abba may also be appropriate. I agree with many of the suggestions already made. If your kids like history, the Churchill War Rooms are great. They are right by Parliment and Big Ben. I love walking in London. Hyde Park is great as is Kensington Park. Tower of London is a must. If you want to do a day trip out of London, Windsor Castle is just outside of London and you can take a train there. If the Queen is not there, I think they do tours. I believe Legoland is right by there too.

As for food, I think the NYT did a 36 hours in London or something similar in the past year. They mention a couple Indian places, one that I have been to and LOVE. They also make a couple other good suggestions. You will probably do well with going to Pubs.

totally agree see plays!! Windsor castle is great -- get the headset to hear all te interesting things

mum-to-be
01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
We lived there pre-kids.

The Tower of London is an amazing place! I would also recommend the British Museum and the national portrait gallery. Hyde park is a must-see. Hamleys will be fun! Kew gardens is beautiful. I'd definitely take them to a musical. You can buy half price tickets at ticketek. Google for specific locations.

I remember we visited some sort of Paddington Bear museum once too. I can't remember it properly but just thought of it for your DDs.

I loved eating at Carluccios (Italian) and Wagamammas (Japanese). There's also a rainforest cafe in Piccadilly sq. and you can't beat a good pub roast.

I would recommend buying some chocolate too! Marks and Spencer has lots of yummy treats!

ged
02-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Lots of great suggestions already. We were there last year with our two girls, one was 7 and she *loved* Matilda the Musical. She also enjoyed the British Museum A LOT as well as the London Eye. We also did the night watchman tour at the Tower of London (send away for tickets in advance). We were traveling with my 2 y.o. as well, so DH and I split up various duties...e.g., DH/DD1 went to the musical, while DD2 and I hit up Chinatown for a quick dinner. Lots of great parks and playgrounds. We were there during Easter, so it was packed with people. The line to the Natural History Museum was too long, so we had to skip it and walked into the Science Museum for a bit. .

We had a last minute mix up with our lodging. We were renting an apt. and it was a total dump. We walked out and scrambled to find a place. Had to pay outrageous amounts for a hotel, but was a luxe hotel (the Royal Horseguards), and we really enjoyed it. Great location at Embankment. That being said, we certainly cannot afford to stay there next time we go.

Food-wise, we liked everything, and there are plenty of casual/kid friendly restaurants/take away sandwich joints around.

Have a great time!

For your kids, consider the Roald Dahl museum outside of London. If they are into that.

blisstwins
02-11-2013, 11:42 PM
My children still talk about Yo Sushi two years after eating there. We ended up eating there EVERY DAY we were in London. It is a chain.