PDA

View Full Version : washington DC. need recommendations...

mimi2008
02-05-2013, 02:57 PM
will be going to DC with DSS (5 and 4 years old), me and hubby, and my parents.

would you recommend renting a car or is the metro the way to go?
what about strollers-- we have 2 single strollers or we could bring our double stroller. will we get dirty looks on the metro if we lug a stroller around?

kid friendly restaurant recommendations would be appreciated too. Hubby and I are foodies so I would love to hear about non-chain restaurants.

thank you.

citymama
02-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Metro is the way to go.

Single stroller much easier - can't imagine a double stroller on the metro.

Restaurant reccs depending on where you're staying. I love Lebanese Taverna at Woodley Park, Bombay Club downtown is really good too. There's good Ethiopian in Adams Morgan, Zaytinya (Middle Eastern) downtown. Everybody but me seems to like Jaleos (tapas) and Coppis on U St is wonderful if you have a grandma along to babysit the kids. Ben's Chili Bowl on 9th is a DC institution, but you may not have any other reason to be out that way. For quick and light Asian inspired food, I love Teaism in Dupont and there's a downtown location too. Marvelous Market for great sandwiches and treats in Dupont, and Pizza Paradiso in Dupont used to be really good once upon a time.

egoldber
02-05-2013, 03:21 PM
When will you be there?

Honestly strollers are a PITA on the metro. Few elevators and they are often broken. If you are traveling at a busy time the wait for an elevator can be a long time. If you are going for cherry blossoms, forget it!

If you want to use a stroller, then I would personally plan to drive to an area, park in a central location and then walk around. If you are sans stroller, then metro is a great option. The other thing to consider is that metro is $$$ at peak times plus you have to buy a metro card for everyone.

I love Old Ebbett's Grill near the Mall. It's an institution and very kid friendly.

Also, many of the museums have excellent cafeterias with interesting food.

TwinFoxes
02-05-2013, 03:50 PM
When will you be there?

Honestly strollers are a PITA on the metro. Few elevators and they are often broken. If you are traveling at a busy time the wait for an elevator can be a long time. If you are going for cherry blossoms, forget it!

If you want to use a stroller, then I would personally plan to drive to an area, park in a central location and then walk around. If you are sans stroller, then metro is a great option. The other thing to consider is that metro is $$$ at peak times plus you have to buy a metro card for everyone.

I love Old Ebbett's Grill near the Mall. It's an institution and very kid friendly.

Also, many of the museums have excellent cafeterias with interesting food.

:yeahthat: People won't give you dirty looks, DC is pretty family friendly. But you'll be very frustrated with the elevators. Where are you staying? If you want a more upscale while the GPs watch the kids dinner, I'd go with Central by Michael Richard. I would avoid the restaurants in Union Station, except for the quick meal chain places (sad, right?)