PDA

View Full Version : OMG - ginger ale!!!

TxCat
02-05-2013, 11:46 PM
I feel like this is a "Eureka!" moment.

I have been so nauseated this whole first trimester. I've tried candied ginger, B6, Unisom, acupuncture, zofran, phenergan - nothing is working, and it's only been steadily getting worse since week 10 with daily vomiting since then. :( The worst part was that even water was making me nauseated and I was having trouble finding any beverage that was palatable and not gag-inducing. I finally bought some ginger ale on a friend's suggestion yesterday. Oh, so happy to drink for the first time in weeks! Finally, something I can get down without gagging immediately. If only I could stay in bed and drink ginger ale all day for the next 4 weeks - I would probably gain 20 lbs., but I'd be oh-so-happy.

I should add that this ginger ale "discovery" is probably not a surprise to most of you, but we never had ginger ale growing up, so this is all new territory to me!

DrSally
02-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Yes, I drank that a lot when preg. TJ's has the best " ginger brew" with quite a bit of real ginger in it. It's got a bit of a bit as a result, but really helped me.

georgiegirl
02-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Glad it is helping! That is awesome. Hope it continues to work. i actually tried some back when I was feeling miserable (on an airplane over the holidays), and for some reason it made me feel even worse.

todzwife
02-06-2013, 12:11 AM
YES!! And what's with feeling WORSE at 10 weeks? That was my worst week, although week 12 has been pretty bad too.

Hope we both feel better PRONTO!

TxCat
02-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Glad it is helping! That is awesome. Hope it continues to work. i actually tried some back when I was feeling miserable (on an airplane over the holidays), and for some reason it made me feel even worse.

I wonder if the airplane stuff was the "real" ginger ale - I think most commercial brands don't have any actual ginger in it. I got some at Whole Foods - both ginger "beer" and ginger ale.

I know what you mean though - every other beverage so far has just made me feel even more "green" if that was possible. I can't retry the ones that I know already made me feel worse!

TxCat
02-06-2013, 12:17 AM
YES!! And what's with feeling WORSE at 10 weeks? That was my worst week, although week 12 has been pretty bad too.

Ah, someone else knows my pain! What kills me is when people look at me shocked, after I tell them how crummy I'm feeling, and go "Shouldn't you start feeling better by now?" I think that's the point where I start shooting laser beams out of my eyes.

Hoping relief is around the corner for all of us soon!

♥ms.pacman♥
02-06-2013, 12:57 AM
glad that is working for you! i too felt the WORST around 10-11 weeks, and that's when the vomiting was at its peak. i too HATED how people woudl be shocked i wasn't feeling better by that point. argh!! i never tried ginger ale, as i was turned off by ANYTHING remotely sweet when i felt nauseous so i was scared to try.

for me i too had problems even drinking plain water. What i discovered when i was pregnant with DD, was that the water had to be ICE COLD for it to stay down and not make me gag. we kept a fridge in our bedroom and set it to be pretty cold (colder than kitchen fridge) and every morning or in the night i would go get water from there. it helped a ton.

sarahsthreads
02-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Yes. Week 11 here and I thought I would start feeling better, but it's so much worse that I've actually had to go in late to work a few days. (Luckily, it's a family business and they all know.)

I may have to try ginger ale, it did work when I was pregnant with DD1, but anything carbonated lately doesn't sit well...I'm sort of terrified to try.

Let's hope next week is better for all of us!

Sarah

AnnieW625
02-06-2013, 03:55 PM
I didn't try Ginger Ale, but peanut butter, and soda crackers right before bed was my god send with DD1. Sarah, maybe you can try that.

I never actually barfed much but was nauseated a lot with DD1, and this helped a bunch!

sunshine873
02-06-2013, 04:50 PM
I don't drink soda as a rule (was previously addicted to Diet Coke and just don't want to go there again,) but have given myself permission to drink Ginger Ale for the same reasons. Ahhhh, it really did help. As for water, yes...extra cold and preferably with a little flavoring (like lemon) in it.

Now I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go to Trader Joes to try theirs!

essnce629
02-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Glad the ginger ale is helping a lot of you! I had terrible m/s both times and with DS2 I bought a bunch of ginger candies, ginger tea, and ginger ale to try and then the thought of ginger would make me sick! I don't think I ever got past the first sip of the ginger ale or tea! Aww, the joys of being pregnant! Hope you all get some permanent relief soon. If you get to the second trimester and are still getting sick, try drinking dandelion root tea. My midwives told me to drink it and it completely cured me of my m/s within 24 hours. They said it helps strengthen the liver and in other cultures they believe m/s after the first trimester is related to the liver not working properly. I was just bummed they didn't mention it to me till I was 26 weeks!!!!

georgiegirl
02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Ditto the ice cold water suggestion. I normally drink water without ice, and I switched over to ice water a month ago (based on someones suggestion) and it has made a huge difference. I'm finally able to keep myself hydrated. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel at 13 weeks. Hope you turn the corner soon.

And I have several things I can't eat/drink because of the nausea association...anything minty (I still have problems brushing my teeth and really need to switch to kiddie toothpaste), ginger, and carbonated beverages.

TxCat
02-07-2013, 10:46 AM
I did the ice water for several weeks but even that became unpalatable. I noticed that I was super dehydrated the last two weeks and the only "beverage" I could keep down were ice cold smoothies. The ginger ale is definitely a step in the right direction but still not a cure-all - couldn't keep dinner down at all last night. :(

Georgiegirl - I hear you on the toothpaste/brushing - it's miserable. I started using plain baking soda at night and that's much easier on my gag reflex. My big triggers so far are toothbrushing, mint, sweet (with the exception of ginger ale) or sugar - so no sweets for me right now. Thirteen weeks tomorrow - if I still feel like this by week fifteen I'm all over that dandelion tea!