PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning to toddler bed bedding questions

echoesofspring
02-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Sort of a convoluted question, so please bear with me....

DS has climbed out of his crib twice during naps. He hasn't at night, but I suspect that's b/c he sleeps in sleep sacks, which frankly are kind of too short for him at this point. We have 3 one that the bottom zip out of, I was keeping it unzipped until he climbed out, one of the Halo ones with legs (haven't used that since he climbed out), and finally a regular one that we've been using but just seems like a bit of a straight jacket when I see him all twisted in it in the morning. They are the longest sleep sacks I've found, so I had been thinking it was time to transition to something else, and I'm thinking it might be good to transition before we do the toddler bed conversion so the bedding is familiar to me.

The other issue is that he is a super soaker. He's in a nighttime diaper 1 size up plus a cloth diaper and/or cover and he's still usually covered in pee in the morning. We're clearly doing something wrong, but I've tried all sorts of things to no avail. We've just sort of resigned ourselves to it at this point, but I'm wondering about the bedding...if I switch him out of sleep sacks I'm proabably looking at washing the bedding and blankets every day, ugh?

So my first question is - as I'm thinking about this, maybe getting a couple more of the footed halo sleep sacks is the way to go for a while. If you use these, how do you keep your kids feet warm? He always pulls his socks off..

My next question is I'd love recommendation on your favorite first toddler bedding - just a blanket? Blanket and comforter? Small pillow? Etc.

TIA!

fedoragirl
02-06-2013, 05:39 PM
We got DD a crib comforter/toddler blanket at 20 months with an almost flat pillow. It was part of a set and all cotton and all washable--fulfilled all my criteria. A lot of people here recommend the Company Store and PBK.
We also use the Halo footed sleep sacks when we travel and I use socks with them. My DC always pull their socks off but not at night. I always check on them before we go to bed and if the socks are off, I just put them back on again but that hasn't happened in a long time.
Another alternative is to look for a different brand of sleepsacks. I am not sure of the various brands but there are many, many European brands that go beyond the Halo sleepsack size.

mackmama
02-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Merino kids sleepsacks are really long if that helps http://www.merinokidsusa.com/

echoesofspring
02-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Thanks - as I've been thinking about it we'll probably just move to bedding, or more of the sleep sacks with legs, he's almost 2 and I'm sure he's going to be crawling out once we make the conversion and it seems safer to have his legs free. So I guess I just have to really just figure out the nighttime leaking issue so I'm not washing a whole bedding set every day.

BabbyO
02-11-2013, 11:53 AM
We just did a blanket on top of his fitted sheet and a small toddler pillow (in retrospect I'd just get a small travel pillow rather than spend the $$ on a "Toddler pillow"). In the winter, we use 2 blankets. Stachio moved to his toddler bed right about 2 yo, he too started climbing out at nap time.

I've also found that just some warm fleece footed PJ's work for my boys. They often kick the blankets off, so when it is cold we do fleece footed PJ's with a onesie/undershirt.

As for the supersoaker part...I'm not sure what to tell you, but I will say that when Stachio night time PT'ed I was very grateful for the recommendation to layer mattress pad sheet, mattress pad sheet...so I never had to make the bed in the middle of the night. You're already doing the size bigger overnight and all the other tricks I know of....so I'm not so sure what else would help on that front. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Also...the best idea that I got when transitioning to a toddler/big boy bed was to us a pool noodle under the fitted sheet/mattress pad to keep the kiddo from falling out of bed. Our bed did not come with a rail and the aftermarket rails wouldn't work on our bed because of the "lip" created by the front board (it wasn't flush with the bottom of the mattress).

Anyway, for $1 it totally stopped him from falling out of bed!

GL!

Ms B
04-17-2013, 04:37 PM
We just did a blanket on top of his fitted sheet and a small toddler pillow (in retrospect I'd just get a small travel pillow rather than spend the $$ on a "Toddler pillow").

Also...the best idea that I got when transitioning to a toddler/big boy bed was to us a pool noodle under the fitted sheet/mattress pad to keep the kiddo from falling out of bed. Our bed did not come with a rail and the aftermarket rails wouldn't work on our bed because of the "lip" created by the front board (it wasn't flush with the bottom of the mattress).

These are great ideas!

We are preparing for the day (soon to come, I am sure) when The Biscuit starts climbing out of his crib and had been debating whether to move him right into a big boy bed because he already is 34 inches long (or even to just put a mattress on the floor for a couple months). We have been looking at bed rails, but the pool noodle idea is terrific!

And I love the travel pillow idea! I already have one, but it is getting kind of flat. I can cut the strings off of it (used to wrap it into a roll for packing) and give it to The Biscuit . . . and then get a new one for me!