PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii - any condo recommendations?

theriviera
02-07-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm trying to plan a trip with my extended family this summer. We would like to do Hawaii. There are 6 adults, 2 kids and we'll need 4 bedrooms. We are thinking either Kauai or Maui. We would like to be in some sort of resort type setting. Beach front/access is ideal.

Has anyone stayed in a condo resort that they would recommend?

Thanks!

HannaAddict
02-07-2013, 01:46 AM
Honua Kai near Kaanapali on Maui. New, nice, resort pools, beach and ocean and a Dukes restaurant too. Great deal (not cheap though) for what you get. Our kids loved it.

theriviera
02-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Honua Kai near Kaanapali on Maui. New, nice, resort pools, beach and ocean and a Dukes restaurant too. Great deal (not cheap though) for what you get. Our kids loved it.

Thank you! I saw that on the Maui Revealed site and I included it for my parents to look at.

pomegranate
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Yes, totally agree with Honua Kai! We stayed there for a week in July and LOVED it! We found a vacation rental from Maui Blue Properties (found through VRBO). Full kitchens, shared barbecue grills next to the beach, great restaurant, on the beach, nice pools. The only thing was that there wasn't a spa when we visited. They were planning to put one in so if that's important to you, you should check. You could also go to the spa at the Westin Ocean Resort Villas next to the Honua Kai, about a 5 min walk on the beach path.

pomegranate
02-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Forgot to add that there's also a huge local supermarket across the street that you could literally walk to. Short drive down the road to Whaler's Village Shopping Center (or long beach walk) and a little further drive to the quaint town of Lahaina.

smiles33
02-07-2013, 01:31 PM
We haven't gone yet, but we booked this condo in Wailea for a pretty reasonable price.

http://www.loveourmauicondo.com/page_1.html

We wanted a more low-key experience as we're not resort people and beachfront is not required for us. This place seems like it's a good 5-10 minute walk from the beach, so it may not be for you, but it's more budget-friendly than Honua Kai so I thought I'd mention it anyway.

mackmama
02-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Just thought I'd bump this since we're also looking. Any other recs?

mackmama
02-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Yes, totally agree with Honua Kai! We stayed there for a week in July and LOVED it! We found a vacation rental from Maui Blue Properties (found through VRBO). Full kitchens, shared barbecue grills next to the beach, great restaurant, on the beach, nice pools. The only thing was that there wasn't a spa when we visited. They were planning to put one in so if that's important to you, you should check. You could also go to the spa at the Westin Ocean Resort Villas next to the Honua Kai, about a 5 min walk on the beach path.

Forgot to add that there's also a huge local supermarket across the street that you could literally walk to. Short drive down the road to Whaler's Village Shopping Center (or long beach walk) and a little further drive to the quaint town of Lahaina.

How is the beach at Honua Kai? From the pics on their website, the beach seems really tiny and narrow.

kwc
02-08-2013, 09:13 PM
You could 2 2BR condos at Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu, Kauai.
Most of the 2BR are not oceanview though the condo resort is on a GREAT beach, and the resort provides beach towels/ chairs/ sand toys and will rent snorkel equipment at the hut right there. It has a lot of great lawn space for little kids to run around/ play soccer/ try to fly kites, etc. The pool is unfortunately across the street but has a shallow sand bottom area for little kids and a slide.
It is an older resort, but more mellow than many of the other places we have stayed but the beach is really among our favorites. You will want to see the interior of the specific unit you are renting as they vary a lot.

theriviera
02-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your input! We decided to book a 4 bedroom villa here:
http://villasatpoipukai.com/

It looks amazing and the price was right. We go this summer, I'll let you know how it is!

citymama
02-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your input! We decided to book a 4 bedroom villa here:
http://villasatpoipukai.com/

It looks amazing and the price was right. We go this summer, I'll let you know how it is!

Well, Kauai is my most favorite place on the planet, so that's a good pick! I am partial to the north side, though - Hanalei is my happy place. Make sure you get to Ke'e Beach and Tunnels beach near Hanalei too!

theriviera
02-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Well, Kauai is my most favorite place on the planet, so that's a good pick! I am partial to the north side, though - Hanalei is my happy place. Make sure you get to Ke'e Beach and Tunnels beach near Hanalei too!

I prefer the north side too but this was the best option for our large group. We will definitely visit though!

SoCalMommy
02-14-2013, 07:30 PM
We stay at the Whaler on kaanipali beach in Maui. It may not be the newest, but location plus parking and other amenities makes it worth it for us. They have many options for most budgets, but we love their gorgeous ocean front rooms with very spacious wrap around balconies the most.