PDA

View Full Version : I need Disneyland help

mshen
02-07-2013, 06:36 AM
We just decided that we are finally taking our kids (5&7) to Disneyland for the first time. We live in SF Bay Area, so we will be driving down. My kids have the week of 2/18-22 off, so that's when we are going.

I've been reading online about the plethora of information and I am overwhelmed. I want to be close, close enough that we don't need to drive. I'm thinking we will go into the park(s) on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, since these are the least busy days. Should I book things separately or get a hotel/park entrance package? Where should I book the hotels? Where should I buy the tickets? Official Disney site? But it's not letting me even look at the packages.

I am very confused and would appreciate any help/tips.

Thank you!
maggie

smiles33
02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Ok, I'll be the first to bite but have to confess I'm a bit obsessive about these things. I planned for months and read hundreds of threads on DISBoards. But here's my quick take on things for those less neurotic:

1) Tues/Wed/Thurs will have lower crowds, but you'll possibly miss the special weekend-only nighttime entertainment (e.g., parades, World of Color, Fantasmic). Check the official calendar here to see what is being offered : http://disneyland.disney.go.com/calendar/ Click on (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/calendar/daily/#/default/2013/02/07)the individual day to also see a list of what rides are closed for refurbishment.

2) I would book separately for DLR. WDW has package discounts, but DLR rarely does and do NOT waste money buying the dining plan at DLR. There's no added value and it locks you into meals you may not want. Note that you might want to make reservations if you want to do a special meal (e.g., character breakfast with Minnie and Friends at Plaza Inn or lunch at the Blue Bayou, which is INSIDE the Pirates of the Caribbean ride).

3) If you're on a budget and would prefer to spend under $400/night on a standard bedroom (unless there's some amazing deal now I haven't heard of), then you're looking at off-site hotels. Hydroguy (a prolific user on DISBoards) urges guests to stay within walking distance so you don't waste time parking/waiting for shuttles. There are probably 8-10 motels/hotels within walking distance and most are simple 2 star establishments (no on-site hotel, limited free breakfast, parking fees, doors open out to the parking lot, etc.). We stayed at the Howard Johnson Anaheim (no open corridors, but slightly longer walk at 8 minutes to the gates). We got a Kids Suite which is 2 full rooms that are connected, one with a King bed and one with a bunk bed and sofa bed. There are only 16 or so (probably sold out for your dates) and we will stay there again in April (I booked almost 10 months in advance though). I've heard so-so things about their regular rooms on DISBoards ("It's just a hotel room and more expensive than some of the motels closer to the Disneyland gates") but we loved their Kids Suite. I've also heard good things about Candy Cane Inn. Beware that DISBoards members have mentioned encountering bedbugs at some of the closest motels right across the crosswalk from DLR AND the subsequent REALLY bad hotel management response. I know many places have bed bugs, but HOW you respond says a lot about the management. I'd call/book directly on a hotel website, but you could also try Hotwire (but then you risk getting a place with terrible customer service when there are problems).

3) You can buy tickets off the official website. Just click Tickets only on this website: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/buy/

On our 2011 trip, I bought mine from Last Minute Travel because I saved $40 or so ($10/ticket) but I don't know if that's still possible to save that much now. You can print out the voucher and then you need to exchange them at the ticketbooths BEFORE you get in line at the turnstiles.

We are also from the Bay Area and if you want to read my detailed trip report from our Sept 2011 trip with our then 2 and 5 year old girls, see the link to DISBoards here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2797260

Have fun!

mshen
02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Oh my gosh, thank you, smiles! That is exactly what I need. I'm reading your dis board thread right now (I wondered what that stood for! :) and I will poke around the dis board to find accommodation.

lmr1101
02-07-2013, 07:10 PM
One other items, since pp already gave you some great advice...

I just booked both hotel/tickets with Costco Travel. The prices are the same as if you booked elsewhere, but they do give you a $20 Disney gift card plus each person in your party gets one free character meal!!!

We wouldn't have done the character meal without this promotion so it made it worth it for us.

Tondi G
02-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Mousesavers is a great site to look at too!

http://www.mousesavers.com/disneyland-california-vacation-discounts-and-deals/

mshen
02-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Thank you for all the tips! I booked it through Costco too. The character meal swayed me too. I just knew we'd have to do at least one, so that's nice that they are including it. :)