PDA

View Full Version : If you don't use fabric softener sheets...

123LuckyMom
02-07-2013, 12:10 PM
how do you stop static cling? My husband has developed excema, so all his clothes, towels, sheets have to be washed with All Free & Clear and dried without dryer sheets. (He also has to take bleach baths, which gives me the willies, but that's a different story.) I often use vinegar in the wash for antibacterial properties and for softness, but I still use dryer sheets to cut down on static. Without the dryer sheets, the static is TERRIBLE!!!!! Every morning I get out of bed, and my hair is standing in the air. DH nearly went to work yesterday with a sock stuck to the outside of his trousers! He says he was getting shocks all day. What can I do, oh wise, green BBBers?

egoldber
02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Can he use the free&clear dyer sheets?

kristenk
02-07-2013, 12:14 PM
How about using wool dryer balls or not drying clothes completely in the dryer? Reduce the drying time so the clothes aren't quite damp but wouldn't necessarily be considered completely dry.

mikala
02-07-2013, 12:19 PM
I use wool dryer balls from Etsy and just the regular dryer setting. I have sensitive skin and we cloth diaper so I haven't used dryer sheets in years and really haven't missed them.

Still-in-Shock
02-07-2013, 12:26 PM
If you can't find the dryer balls on etsy, just do a search online. Here is one I found on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ontel-Dryer-Max-Anti-Static-Balls/dp/B000I7RQUM (http://www.amazon.com/Ontel-Dryer-Max-Anti-Static-Balls/dp/B000I7RQUM)

acmom
02-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Can he use the free&clear dyer sheets?

Both kids and I have eczema too - we use all free and clear with a fragrance free dryer sheet (only in the winter when the static is bad). Several brands make them including the Target up and up brand and Bounce. Never had any skin issues with the fragrance free ones.

wellyes
02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Make sure you are using humidifiers in the home.

jam224
02-07-2013, 06:02 PM
I've never tried it, but you can use safety pins in your dryer to reduce static cling: http://www.simpleorganizedliving.com/2011/02/14/a-laundry-experiment-10-ways-to-reduce-static-cling/

123LuckyMom
02-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Oooh, I'm going to try the vinegar and safety pin thing! Now I just pour vinegar in the main tub. I'll try adding it as if it were fabric softener. If that fails, Etsy, here I come!

And we don't currently have the humidifiers running, even though I have a cold and could use one! They both need to be cleaned, and guess who hasn't cleaned them yet... I guess I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks guys! If anyone else has ideas, please post them. It's always good to have multiple things to try!

AustenFan
02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
I've used rubber dryer balls (these ones from Target (http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials-dryer-balls-2-pk/-/A-13790135#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink)) for years and don't notice any static cling. We also had to stop using dryer sheets because of DH's and DS' sensitive skin.

indigo99
02-08-2013, 11:18 PM
We have a dry house and don't use dryer sheets, but I don't have a huge problem with static for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with me never folding anything straight out of the dryer though.

I just wanted to comment on the idea to not completely dry everything. I read recently about how germy washing machines are. Washing your clothes can actually deposit more germs on them (especially on the next load after washing underwear or kids' clothes). The best way to kill those germs is to dry in the sun, but the next best is to completely dry everything in a hot dryer.

abh5e8
02-09-2013, 12:16 AM
we hang all our regular clothes. (just dry undies/sockes/towels/sheet). vinegar in the rinse/fabric softener slot. and wool dryer balls. they are super easy to make, just google for directions. we use a dehumidifier most days too. no problems at all with static.

also...just an fyi. if your dh can't tolerate a laundry product, dont use it on ANY loads, in washer or dryer, as the dryer sheets or detergent leave a residue on the machine and can transfer to the next load.

i can't imagine drying all our clothes on hot! seems like everything would shrink and fade. we do line dry when the weather is nice.