PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever rent DVC points through David's Vacation Club

SummerBaby
02-07-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm trying to plan a trip for the Fall and I really prefer a condo type accommodation. I was looking at Bonnet Creek, but I also love the idea of staying on property. It's soooo much cheaper to rent points, but I'm wondering if its too good to be true, or if there's a catch? Has anyone used David's? I'd love to learn more about renting points.

candaceb
02-07-2013, 03:43 PM
I just read a post on disboards yesterday about renting through David's - sounds like it is legit.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3060108

Tinkerbell313
02-07-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm trying to plan a trip for the Fall and I really prefer a condo type accommodation. I was looking at Bonnet Creek, but I also love the idea of staying on property. It's soooo much cheaper to rent points, but I'm wondering if its too good to be true, or if there's a catch? Has anyone used David's? I'd love to learn more about renting points.

I have not used David's. Therefore I cannot answer your question regarding David's service. I can tell you from what I have read on the various boards that he has a very reputable service. His service runs $13/point. I am sure since it is a business, he has both parties sign a contract that will protect both the seller and the renter. Everyone that has used him has very high respect for his company.

Right now he is looking for points from sellers. I think the demand is exceeding his supply. I get his emails and his facebook feeds.

Fall, due to Food and Wine Festival, can be a difficult time to get a rental for certain DVC resorts. There seems to always be avilability at Old KEy WEst and Saratoga Springs, We wanted the Epcot area but due to F and W as well as the Gartner Symposium (Oct. 20 - 25), we could not get a room at BWV or Beach Club. Beach Club has the smallest amount of DVC rooms available. Also, the woman we rented from, her home resort was Saratoga Springs. DVC owners can book up to 11 months out from there home resort and then 7 months out for all other DVC resorts. Therefore, the earliest we could book was 7 months...so March. We were fortunate to get where we got given the time frame.

We rented a studio at BLT this past October through a private seller I found on Mouseowners.com for $10/point. Actually, I founder her neighbor on mouseowners.com and he referred me to her. We rented lake view. Our lake view also had an awesome view of Space Mountain, Cinderella's Castle and the fireworks!!! Since we had a studio we did not have a washer/dryer. But, we were only there for 5 nights so a washer/dryer was not necessary. It was nice having the little kitchenette area.

With renting points, you will not get daily maid service unless you request it AND pay for it. Otherwise, you get trash and towel service on day 4, and full maid service on day 8.

Everything else was pretty much the same as if you booked a room through Disney directly.. We used DME to/from airport. We had our KTTW card. We were eligible for EMHs. We did not use the dining plan, but they can sign you up for that as well.

I would definitely rent again. Given that most owners seem to be asking between $11/$12 a point now, I would probably just go through Davids, dvc-rental.com, or another rental again

hellokitty
02-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I plan to rent points from David's if we ever stay DVC. Several ppl on a small disney board I belong to have done it and everything went smoothly. What he does is pay the owner part of the $, but he holds onto the other portion of it until the renter has checked in, etc.., and then the owner gets paid the rest. So, it's like he is the middleman who ensures that both sides are paying what they owe and keeping their word on the paperwork/rental agreement.

westwoodmom04
02-07-2013, 04:21 PM
We used David's when we stayed at BLT. It was all very professional and we had no problems. We requested a room with a view of the magic kingdom and that request got passed on (we had an awesome view of the fireworks). If you want to stay at a popular property and rent points, you have to book at the seven month point (that's how far out "owners" can make reservations). Even so, with a November visit, we were unable to get a two bedroom but the one bedroom wound up being fine for our needs. The only downside is once you book, you can not cancel. If I remember correctly, you pay at the time you book.

Tinkerbell313
02-07-2013, 05:09 PM
If you want to stay at a popular property and rent points, you have to book at the seven month point (that's how far out "owners" can make reservations). .

If the DVC owner owns at the resort you are looking at, they can book 11 months out at that resort and 7 months out at all other resorts.

For example, if the owner's points are BLT points and you want BLT, then you can book 11 months out. However, if the owner's points are BLT points and you want BCV, you will have to wait until the 7 month point.