PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sexy and I Know It!

MamaMolly
02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Sigh. Lula came home yesterday singing that. Her little school buddy taught it to her. Niiiiice.
Same little school buddy that plays with Monster High dolls etc. etc. etc.

I also happened to be at Marshall's and was browsing in the CHILDREN'S section, and found a monokini bathing suit by Juicy Cotuire with JUCY in fluffy letters on the butt. Size 10. As in LITTLE GIRL 10.

I want to cry.

I do not want my daughter or any little girl to wear a bathing suit that has men looking at her fanny and thinking JUICY.

I cannot wrap my children in bubble wrap but dear God, what a world my girls are going up in. :(

scrooks
02-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I totally feel your pain!!! Dd is transitioning from toddler sizes to girls stuff. Omg!!! The girls stuff is sooook grown up at most stores ! I can't stand it! Thankfully she is still happy in Hanna and Gymboree. I can't believe what people put little girls in. Bathing suits are the most frightening!

citymama
02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
I hear you, sister. Bring on the bubble wrap.

edurnemk
02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
I feel your pain, I'm very careful about the music I listen to around my kids because DS is now very aware of the lyrics, and will ask what they mean. I've figured out a lot of moms aren't as careful, since DS will come home singing songs with explicit lyrics and when I ask who taught him it's always the same boy, his BFF. I adore his mom, she's super nice but I guess it's not on her radar. I'm still trying to figure out how to bring this up in a nice way.

My little niece got a Monster High doll for Xmas from another aunt, her mom nearly died, but says all the girls have them and her DD has been asking for them for over a year. She just turned 8. I'm dreading that, I hope they're not as popular when DD is older.

A few months ago we were joking with some friends, all of them have daughters, about moving to Easter Island or some other deserted and far off place, so we can shelter our kids from this craziness.

ladysoapmaker
02-08-2013, 03:39 PM
DD#1 is 9. Thank goodness she's still small and my SIL has saved her DD's clothes. I hate walking past the Disney clothes display at Target. I make some clothes for both DDs but I swear the fashions these days. Let them have a childhood. I'm just happy she likes wearing jeans and t-shirts and that we have to try on about 2 dozen pairs of pants before we find 3 that fit properly.

She likes Monster High but she doesn't play with them like she does Barbie or her AG doll. I think she likes monster high partly because some friends like it and because they have lots of black clothes.

I hope it gets better and I have no idea what I'm going to do with DD#2 if fashions don't get better.

Jen

bisous
02-08-2013, 04:03 PM
And one of the worst things about that song is how catch it is! All I had to do is read the title and now it is stuck in my head, lol.

I sympathize for you, mothers of girls and your clothing choices. That must be so frustrating!

What is the deal with Monster High dolls? DS went to a girl's birthday party (she was turning 8) on Saturday and we brought Friends lego sets which are generally a huge hit in our experience. The birthday girl was pleasant but not overly impressed with our gift. All of her other friends bought her Monster High Dolls. What is up with those? They seem horrifying!

StantonHyde
02-08-2013, 05:13 PM
There are some ways to combat song lyrics--like for I'm Sexy and I Know It. We changed it to "I'm Simon and I Know It"--Simon is our dog. And then they changed verses to reflect him. It's really funny and they have a good time trying to come up with other lyrics. I honestly got the idea from Sesame Street--Elmo does I'm Elmo and I Know It.

Clothes--yeah, I just stick to basics as much as I can and I don't take DD shopping with me. I can still hit the Gymbo end of season sale and do ok for her. Plus Lands End, LL Bean etc.

sigh, not easy at all!!!

dogmom
02-08-2013, 05:45 PM
See, before having children I said, "If my daughter is not going to high school with just pasties on I have won." Setting the bar low is helpful. ; )

Seriously, I try not to get too worked up by it. There is a mom of the street that is obsessed about her kids being "covered up", says it at least one a week. I figure it's all what you make of it. No, I'm not going to get my 6 year sweat pants that say "juicy" on them, but I'm also aware that some pedophile doesn't need that invitation to fantasize about her, with out without juicy underwear. All I can do is give her confidence and some brains to manage some of this on her own when the time comes for puberty.

Maybe it was growing up in the 70's, but I seem to remember some of this going on when I was a kid also. I have images very short shorts and t-shirts with Foxy on them.

MamaMolly
02-08-2013, 10:06 PM
My little niece got a Monster High doll for Xmas from another aunt, her mom nearly died, but says all the girls have them and her DD has been asking for them for over a year. She just turned 8. I'm dreading that, I hope they're not as popular when DD is older.

See here's the thing. When Lula was a baby, Bratz were the rage. And I found them distasteful because of the style of body (toothpick) the heads (ginormous) and the clothes (or lack thereof).

And here they've gone and made Monster High. SIGH! I don't care for them because they don't do anything but get dressed up. In skimpy clothing. At least Barbie can get dressed as an astronaut, doctor, vet, teacher, President of the USA.

I caved on so many of my pre-kid stances. I said no animal print. Dolly loves cheetahs. Guess who has animal print head to toe? :bag I said no character clothes. For Lula's third birthday it was Abby Cadabby themed. Heck, when I grew up we couldn't wear metallic shoes!!! And I remember the moment when Lula fell in love with a pair of silver Dora light up sandals. And my ship went down like a rock.

squimp
02-09-2013, 04:23 PM
I know right? WTF is that Bruno Mars song "your sex takes me to paradise". I mean please! Why can't he say your eyes or your poems or your chocolate chip cookies or anything. I had to look it up to make sure. These little 9-10 year olds in the back seat of my car know all the words to this crap and Ke$ha songs that are pretty obvious about getting drunk and penises and whatever garbage.

Pass me some of that bubble wrap!!

sophiesmom03
02-09-2013, 05:06 PM
The song is in Beverly Hills Chihuahua and it is so catchy. Ugh. Dc love that movie but fortunately have not picked up on the song.

So far DD1 wants jeans and tees/sweaters, no characters or labels. I hate the "little hooker" looks I see in stores sometimes!

HannaAddict
02-18-2013, 02:25 PM
See, before having children I said, "If my daughter is not going to high school with just pasties on I have won." Setting the bar low is helpful. ; )

Seriously, I try not to get too worked up by it. There is a mom of the street that is obsessed about her kids being "covered up", says it at least one a week. I figure it's all what you make of it. No, I'm not going to get my 6 year sweat pants that say "juicy" on them, but I'm also aware that some pedophile doesn't need that invitation to fantasize about her, with out without juicy underwear. All I can do is give her confidence and some brains to manage some of this on her own when the time comes for puberty.

Maybe it was growing up in the 70's, but I seem to remember some of this going on when I was a kid also. I have images very short shorts and t-shirts with Foxy on them.

Yes to all of the above. We don't have Juicy plastered on her bum, but clothes don't make someone get molested or sexualized - that happens in all cultures including the Amish and bonnet and high neck dress wearing sects. And the music and lyrics is an age old problem too, Elvis and the Beetles were public enemies. So, I don't freak out. That said, I've never been to "Justice" and only heard about it in these boards. My six year old has zero interest in Hanna any longer or Gymboree, she refuses. She likes tunic sweater dresses and leggings and is a sweet, smart, confident girl who has a couple if bikinis in addition to her speedo one piece and we are 100% fine with that. That song is wildly popular at school, she learned it from a friend in school but has no idea what sexy means, we asked her. We told her it isn't the best song but reacting strongly seems to just draw more attention versus ignoring it. Kids these days!!

maestramommy
02-18-2013, 06:21 PM
I get you. DD1 came home from school one day singing, "Heeeeeeeyyyyyyy, sexy ladeh!" I was like, WTF. I was largely unacquainted with Gangnam Style. :p And yeah, one of her friends taught her the song. Another friend also plays with Monster High, or at least, is into it.

The clothing, I pretty much stay away from certain stores now that she is out of the toddler styles. Unless I need something really neutral , like underwear, socks, plain colored shorts. And if I ever slip up, Dh is right there to remind me. He apparently, is even more fuddy duddy than I am. It cracks me up that I have in many ways, married my dad:rotflmao:

And yes to dogmom, I grew up in the 70s. I don't remember Foxy, but the shorts WERE very short. My mom made a lot of my clothes and I spent entire summers wearing halter tops she made. My sisters too. Our tummies were out there! But we didn't have Juicy or anything obnoxious written on our bums or chests. Or anything at all. I actually don't care if some of my kids' tummies are showing, or if they wear short shorts. What I object to the most is how cheaply flashy a lot of clothing looks. It's just gross. Like, MTVwear for the 5-10 set. gag.