PDA

View Full Version : Anything else I can try for treating diaper rash?

ExcitedMamma
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
As I posted before we are battling diaper rash with DD. Last time it started with redness and got so bad it looked like broken skin or sores in two spots. We tried everything, every lotion from anything with zinc oxide to cortaid and lotrimin plus lots of naked time. Took her to the Pediatrician who said there is nothing else we can do. Her diaper is changed constantly usually between an hour or ninety minutes since she isn't napping well. Thanks to LizzieWednesday's wonderful advice I started using only cloth wipes on her and then switched from disposables to cloth diapers full time. The rash went away and I thought yea for cloth! But now the redness is back and I'm afraid it will get really bad again. Anything else I can do? We are using Earth Mama balm and CJs plus at diaper changes.

Just in case I even gave up all dairy since she is EBF but that didn't change anything.

mmommy
02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
We have really good luck with Coconut Oil. And I put a fleece liner in the diaper to help wick moisture away from skin.

BabyBearsMom
02-08-2013, 02:37 PM
For a really bad rash, I combine aquafore, neosporin and desitin into a paste and frost her like a cupcake. I only do this for bad rashes but it clears things up in a heart beat.

lizzywednesday
02-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Have you ruled out yeast?

DD had the absolute most wicked yeast rash before we swapped, but we needed prescription cream (Nystatin) to clear it.

Yeast diaper rash doesn't always look like pinpricks; it can be super-red, almost beefy looking as well ... and it is excruciatingly painful for the baby.

To treat, we glove up, layer of Nystatin with one hand and a layer of butt cream (Burt's Bees, Boudreaux's, Desitin, etc.) over the top of that with the other hand, then we slap the diaper over the top.

With cloth, I'd use liners.

erosenst
02-08-2013, 03:53 PM
DD had the diaper rash from h@ll. After 5 dr appts (three with her ped, two with derm) and a number of different treatments (using plain washcloths with water, switching diapers, a couple of meds, plus the usual desitin/A&D mixture which worked well on her other diaper rashes - and I'm sure I"m forgetting some), Bactroban (Mupiricin) cleared it up shockingly quickly. She had several flares over the next 18 months, and bactroban cleared it within 24 hours every time.

It was a weird rash - flat, open sores that came out of pretty much nowhere. Although we never proved it, I think it was associated with teething - something in her poop basically ate at her skin :/.

(The derm did test for yeast, and it was negative - so yeast meds didn't do anything for it.)

Good luck.

kaharris83
02-08-2013, 04:14 PM
I swear by Grandma El's. We use it for everything around here and it clears up redness overnight. It is cloth diaper safe. Its amazing stuff.

ExcitedMamma
02-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks everyone! Do you think a pediatrician would miss a yeast rash? If it was yeast would it get better and then come back? Lotrimin didn't work but does that mean anything?

vludmilla
02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
We found Aquaphor was much better than the zinc oxide creams but when DD had a seemingly intractable diaper rash, we brought her to the dermatologist who prescribed a special cream that eventually cleared it up. Lots of no diaper time too.

mackmama
02-09-2013, 06:49 PM
DC had a bad diaper rash, and we mixed aquaphor and triple paste and put it on heavily. We also gave DC baking soda baths daily. No wipes- only cool water on a soft Ferber washcloth.

EtA- also lots of time without diaper on to air it out (which was tricky indoors in the winter!)

mackmama
02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
We also switched from pampers to 7th gen diapers. We tried yeast cream too but didn't seem to make a diff.

teresah00
02-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Have you checked to make sure the diapers are getting cleaned and dont have build up ? What kind are you using? I am a novice CDer, but I stopped for a while when we moved and the front loader that came w the house wasn't getting things clean. Just something else to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks everyone! Do you think a pediatrician would miss a yeast rash? If it was yeast would it get better and then come back? Lotrimin didn't work but does that mean anything?

Yes, it's totally possible that a pediatrician could miss a yeast rash.

It could get better & come back. Lotrimin is over the counter and may not have cleared the rash completely. With Nystatin, we use it 'til the tube is gone, not 'til the rash is clear to the eye.

Also, it might be a good time to try stripping your diapers, just in case there's buildup.

roseyloxs
02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
First I would start adding an extra rinse to the end of your cloth diaper wash routine. Its possible you are starting to get a detergent build-up. The other possibility is that you are not using enough detergent and the ammonia is starting to build-up but usually you can smell that problem.

If you haven't switched to cloth wipes then do that. You can use warm water and olive oil to wipe. You can also use a preventive balm like coconut oil or gro-via's magic stick (http://www.gro-via.com/wipesandaccessories-grovia-magic-stick.html).

Lastly I wouldn't rule out yeast unless the ped actually did a test that came up negative.