PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever GBS+, and not get antibiotics in time?

hopeful_mama
02-08-2013, 10:35 PM
If so, what, if anything, was the protocol regarding the baby?

Anyone know if you only get the antibiotics a short time before delivery, if they're still partially effective?

I found out I'm Group B Strep positive today, and already have been concerned about getting to the hospital in time, last labor was a bit fast, didn't get the epidural till bearing down even (need to get that one early due to another health issue). Now I'm concerned about not getting the antibiotics in time. If I don't, I know it's only 1 in 200 risk of baby getting infected, but the possibilities for those 1 in 200 don't sound good. Also I'm not clear on whether baby would need IV antibiotics before showing any symptoms, just because I hadn't had enough ahead of time. I would really like to avoid antibiotics in an otherwise healthy infant.

Anyone BTDT or have any other experience?

rin
02-08-2013, 10:44 PM
I was GBS+ for both my deliveries. W/ DD1 I got both doses of antibiotics (10 hour labor), but w/DD2 my labor was 4 hours from first contraction to delivery so there wasn't time, since the doses need to be 4 hours apart. I think it took 30ish minutes for the full dose to come through by IV, and I delivered about 30 minutes after that.

I got the full first dose, and they told me that anything is better than nothing and that getting at least one dose significantly reduces the chances of transmission to the baby. They did not give DD2 antibiotics after birth, but they had us stay in the hospital a full 48 hours for observation (as opposed to letting us go home after 24) to make sure she didn't spike a fever. She did not have any problems related to GBS.

zukeypur
02-08-2013, 11:02 PM
I have no advice, but one of my good friends had a baby on Christmas Eve. The day after Christmas the baby was airlifted to a children's hospital in critical condition. She was in the hospital for several weeks but is doing fine now. My friend says she was treated, but I'm unsure of the timing of the antibiotics. I would err on the side of caution and either stay in the hospital longer as PP did, or have the baby treated.

hopeful_mama
02-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Thank you rin!! This was all really reassuring, and much appreciated. I would like to hope I can get at least 30 minutes of antibiotics in! Glad to see they were able to just keep a close eye on your DD, and that she had no problems.

hopeful_mama
02-08-2013, 11:08 PM
I have no advice, but one of my good friends had a baby on Christmas Eve. The day after Christmas the baby was airlifted to a children's hospital in critical condition. She was in the hospital for several weeks but is doing fine now. My friend says she was treated, but I'm unsure of the timing of the antibiotics. I would err on the side of caution and either stay in the hospital longer as PP did, or have the baby treated.

Oh dear, how scary, so glad the baby is ok. Yes staying longer in the hospital is a small price to pay, and I definitely wouldn't refuse antibiotics if the pediatricians felt they were really warranted. Just trying to get a sense of what to expect, and have been having trouble finding this sort of info through google. Thanks for sharing.

Philly Mom
02-08-2013, 11:11 PM
My BFF had that issue. They kept the baby in the nicu and gave antibiotics. She just hung out there and nursed the baby while the antibiotics were administered. It was easy and not stressful. I think baby was there for 5 days.

hopeful_mama
02-08-2013, 11:26 PM
My BFF had that issue. They kept the baby in the nicu and gave antibiotics. She just hung out there and nursed the baby while the antibiotics were administered. It was easy and not stressful. I think baby was there for 5 days.

Yikes, 5 days would be very stressful, given that I have health issues (so we are planning for DH to stay the whole time with me) and a DD at home (family can stay with her for 2 nights but 5 days would be difficult for them).

Sounds like there is a range of responses...maybe I'd better just call my pediatrician's on Monday and ask what their policy usually is, so I can wrap my head around it & try to fine-tune the family arrangements if necessary.

Myira
02-08-2013, 11:28 PM
I tested GBS -ve, but then went on to have an active urinary tract infection with GBS around 37 weeks which resulted in 3 days of hospital stay and IV antibiotics for me. I was induced at 41 weeks and did have IV antibiotics, but then finally had to have a c-section since the baby was face presentation.

The day we were to go home, my son's temperature dropped and he lost muscle tone for a moment and was admitted to the NICU. That had me breaking down thinking he had GBS, and may have gotten it have in-utero or something, but good news was that all his cultures came back negative and he was just fine. They concluded he was just probably a little dehydrated.

I don't know if I helped you, but had to let you know that yes it is quite scary and personally I'd definitely ensure you get the antibiotics on time.

speo
02-08-2013, 11:48 PM
I was GBS+ for both also. It wasn't a factor with DS1 because he was induced and we had stayed in the hospital overnight before.

I do have VERY fast labors. For DS2, by the time I got to L&D I was going through transition. The nurses rushed to get the antibiotics started and in. I also had to wait for the doc to arrive after transition holding the pushing back for ~30min. I wouldn't recommend that method as a way to ensure more time!! They were able to get one round of abx in just before he was born. DS2 had no complications. I think that if you have fast labors that I would get to the hospital as soon as possible. Maybe even start driving if you just think it is labor? My second labor could have been a total of 2hrs15min.

ETA: The one round of abx was enough for the ped to not be concerned. She told us to just watch carefully and we were discharged on a normal schedule.

karstmama
02-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Often if you don't get fully treated, they will draw labs from the baby, maybe put in a heplock (iv without tubing or fluid) and watch for a couple of days.

buddyleebaby
02-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes. I arrived at the hospital just in time to push with my little one. The only thing they did was keep us 48 hours VS 24. Because my water did not break until she was crowning, they were not too concerned with the possibility of infection.

ncat
02-09-2013, 12:31 PM
I was GBS+ with DS. I think they started the IV when we got the hospital, but he was born shortly thereafter - maybe 15-20 minutes? They made us stay at the hospital a second night (he was born at 9:30PM, we stayed 2 nights total), but no other extra precautions.

hopeful_mama
02-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Well I talked with a pediatrician in our practice today, and asked what their protocol is. She said if I only had one dose, they would keep checking the baby's bloodwork for a little while, especially the white blood cell count & types, and c-reactive protein, at about 12 & 24 hrs of age, and the nurses will monitor vital signs more frequently. If those values started to change in a concerning way then they would put baby into the special care nursery with antibiotics for a few days, but otherwise they wouldn't administer antibiotics prophylactically. If there are no concerns they would prefer us to stay 2 days and then follow up at their office a day or two later, as normal.

She said they follow the CHOP protocol as there are CHOP neonatologists on staff at our hospital. I was very reassured by this, it sounds like they don't administer antibiotics wily-nily to newborns but don't hesitate to at the first sign of trouble. And she didn't sound overly concerned.

Thanks everyone for the responses :) They were much appreciated.

MommyAllison
02-11-2013, 10:10 PM
A friend was gbs+ and didn't get to the hospital in time for abx, and they just kept her & baby a little longer (baby was early so they were watching closely anyway) - baby was fine. :)

emily_gracesmama
02-12-2013, 03:25 PM
I was gbs+ this time and got to hospital at 3:00 am and was 7 cm already. We got the antibiotics started and I waited as long as I could to push and he was born at 7:00 am so not too long. I only got only dose in and he was fine. They said they would keep an eye on him but he was ok. They are more concerned the earlier your water breaks too. With mine they broke it at 10cm just when I was going to push.

AnnieW625
02-12-2013, 05:03 PM
I was not given any special instructions about to go to the hospital early with DD1 when I was GBS+ just to make sure to tell them that I was GBS+. Thankfully my doctor was on call when I was admitted so he knew this already. He did not deliver DD1, but yeah a full round of penicilin takes 4 hrs. to work. I was almost done with bag 3 and said I was going to deliver her before getting bag #4 because the burn from the penecilin going through the system is horribly painful.

swissair81
02-12-2013, 10:15 PM
I was GBS+ with my second. She was born 20 minutes after I got to the hospital. Actually we didn't even know I was positive until after she was born, because the labs weren't back. My water had only been broken for 5 minutes before she was born, so they didn't worry too much. They just took blood counts and watched her.

(Other things I don't have when I had her included an IV any monitoring strips. I'm lucky there was someone to catch)