PDA

View Full Version : No school tomorrow?!

Twoboos
02-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Ugh! Apparently they can't get the sidewalks clear in time for the walkers. And now the kids will be in school until June 26.

ett
02-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Two hour delay here which means no AM kindergarten for DS2. We're in school until June 25 as of now.

queenmama
02-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Whoa! That's so late! When does school normally end for you?

Our school rarely closes due to bad weather but I'm thankful we don't have to add make-up days at the end (we're IDS). What a bummer!

Lara

billysmommy
02-10-2013, 08:11 PM
For those of you off and near a Halfway Cafe, kids eat free all day tomorrow 2/11!!
One of our favorite places to eat!

wellyes
02-10-2013, 09:50 PM
School is closed EVERYWHERE near me. So hard for working parents. I don't blame anyone, the blizzard was massive, but it does suck.

oneplustwo
02-10-2013, 10:26 PM
My kids are still not happy with Patrick's request that all schools should close last Friday for the full day and his encouragement for cars to be off the road by noon ~ if not for that, our town would have had a 1/2 day of school Friday and an extra day would not have been added to the school year. Everyone from school would have been home by 1:00 pm with the half day, well before the weather got bad. Patrick's abundance of caution did not sit well with my munchkins, LOL!

Our school district is open tomorrow. Phew!

ETA: PS ~ Now I want to check out Halfway Cafe; hadn't heard of them till now!

ett
02-10-2013, 10:30 PM
My kids are still not happy with Patrick's request that all schools should close last Friday for the full day and his encouragement for cars to be off the road by noon ~ if not for that, our town would have had a 1/2 day of school Friday and an extra day would not have been added to the school year. Everyone from school would have been home by 1:00 pm with the half day, well before the weather got bad. Patrick's abundance of caution did not sit well with my munchkins, LOL!

We were also originally suppose to have an early release day and DS1 was unhappy when they changed it to cancelling school at the governor's request. DS2 woke up Friday morning and asked "Where's the snow?"

oneplustwo
02-10-2013, 11:04 PM
We were also originally suppose to have an early release day and DS1 was unhappy when they changed it to cancelling school at the governor's request. DS2 woke up Friday morning and asked "Where's the snow?"

My boys asked the same thing!

They spent most of the day waiting for the storm to get serious too. They read a forecast that mentioned the storm was supposed to start intensifying around 2pm, so they said they'd go out to play at 2. When the time came, they wondered, "Where's the blizzard? We want to play in THE BLIZZARD!" They were a lot happier when they woke up Saturday morning and looked out the window. :)

sidmand
02-11-2013, 01:13 AM
I almost (almost) wish we had no school. Instead we have a 2 hour delay. Which means DS's school starts at 10:30 but for some reason DD's starts at 12:00 (normally hers is 8:30 too!). So I need to drop DS at 10:30, DD at 12:00 and then pick DD up at 2:30 and DS at 2:40?! DD may be staying home afterall.

wellyes
02-11-2013, 10:04 PM
School is cancelled in Boston again tomorrow! Those kids will be stuck in the classroom until July.

LizLemon
02-12-2013, 12:04 AM
School is cancelled in Boston again tomorrow! Those kids will be stuck in the classroom until July.

When I was a kid our school calendar went until the end of June (mid 20s) without snow days. I seem to remember, though, that there was an absolute last day that we had to be done with school, i.e. we couldn't just making up days and extend the year into July. If it was a bad year in terms of weather, I think we may have taken days from our spring or February breaks a couple of times, although it is getting a bit late for the latter. So hopefully they have something like that. In VA many counties lost weeks each year for snow days and don't make up all the days, even though a lot of the end dates are in late May or early June. So it seems like there are options. It does really stink to get out so late so I hope they can work something out.

Twoboos
02-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Wellyes I can't believe they haven't gotten it under control yet in Boston!

A few years ago (before my kids were in school) there were so many snow days, kids had to go on a couple of Saturdays. I think the alternative was to take days from April vacation. (Which I don't understand - what if you are away for April vaca?!)

Our original end date was June 21, the add'l 5 is June 28. Ridiculously late IMO, but for some reason this year they decided to start after Labor Day instead of the week before.

I heard there are two more storms on the horizon. Smaller one Thurs, potentially larger one on Sunday. But at least that's Feb vacation week, so it won't impact school.

How is winter arriving NOW?!

cvanbrunt
02-12-2013, 09:27 AM
We are on a two hour delay today. The reason, they said, it the sidewalks aren't clear enough. Are people not required to clear sidewalks? It's been three days for Pete's sake. Clear your d@amn sidewalk! In Indy you could call a hotline and people would start being ticketed. Add this to my list of reasons I don't like Boston. But that's a whole other bitch.

dogmom
02-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Whoa! That's so late! When does school normally end for you?

Our school rarely closes due to bad weather but I'm thankful we don't have to add make-up days at the end (we're IDS). What a bummer!

Lara

It's pretty normal for New England. Our school starts after Labor Day and ends mid to late June. 1 week off for Christmas, two one week breaks in the Spring. Our calendar says 6/18, but they also always list the date with 5 snow days. I'm always shocked by my friends down South that are out by mid May.

Twoboos
02-14-2013, 09:17 AM
I was just looking back at our calendar and saw we had 2 days for Hurricane Sandy. So they're at June 27, not 26. One more snow day left, then they go into finding add'l days somewhere else. (Saturdays or vacation week.)

They just released the draft 2013-14 school calendar, and they proposed starting after Labor Day (Wed, day off Thurs for Rosh Hashanah, Fri) and ending June 20 w/5 snow days being June 27. I am going to send feedback to the Superintendent that they should start the week before!!

candaceb
02-14-2013, 09:40 AM
DS has 90 minute delay today. 1 freaking inch of snow and they had to delay. That means I drop him off at 10:30 and pick him up at 11:15 - for the second time this week!

Tinkerbell313
02-14-2013, 11:07 AM
I was just looking back at our calendar and saw we had 2 days for Hurricane Sandy. So they're at June 27, not 26. One more snow day left, then they go into finding add'l days somewhere else. (Saturdays or vacation week.)

They just released the draft 2013-14 school calendar, and they proposed starting after Labor Day (Wed, day off Thurs for Rosh Hashanah, Fri) and ending June 20 w/5 snow days being June 27. I am going to send feedback to the Superintendent that they should start the week before!!

Here is VA, we have the "Kings Dominion" Law. Schools are required to start after Labor Day unless they show that they have been closed an average of 8 days during any 5 of the last 10 years.

Here is a link to an editorial about that: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2011/12/why_do_virginia_theme_parks_determine_the_state_s_ academic_calendar_.html

Our county has extra time built into their day. So when we had the SnowApocolypse several years ago, we did not have to lose any vacation time or make up any school days at the end of the year.

But I do hate when schools cancel for snow that melts by 10am. We had one of those days last week...I was so annoyed because I had to use one of my vacation days for work because work did not shut down (I work at a university so when there is a decent snow work usually shuts down coinciding with the public schools closing). This was a sparse covering...again, melted by 10am.