PDA

View Full Version : Would you change practices?

todzwife
02-11-2013, 10:33 AM
I went to a large group practice with Zoey 3 years ago. I usually saw the nurse, whom I've known since we moved here since she was in family practice until she went to the OB practice. She knows me, knows my history, my family etc. I absolutely ADORE her.

That said, she's just a PA, she can't deliver so I have to "meet" with all of the actual OB's. Even though w/ Zoey, I went so fast the doc missed it.

Anyway, I went in Thursday and met one of the OB's I've never met before. She was nice enough, but seemed VERY unconcerned by my history of preterm labor. I've never made it past 37 week, Maddie was a 35 weeker, and the nurse I love put me on bed rest and monitored me like crazy with Zoey and I still was dialated to a 5 1/2 at 37 weeks. I asked her about the BH starting this early. She said "normal". I asked for a UA, she said "your BP is fine, so we aren't going to do one"??? WHAT? I'm prone to silent UTI's while pregnant (Which is why I think my water broke w/ Maddie at 35 weeks). She just didn't seem to care at ALL.

I see the nurse at every OTHER appointment, and I don't think I have to see this OB again. That said, I was really disappointed by how she just did NOT care. This is my FOURTH pregnancy, I know my body VERY well and I want to be listened to.

Would you consider switching, or just stick it out and see the nurse as much as possible since really, the doc just "catches" the baby anyway...My only other option for this hospital is the midwife practice, but I don't know if they'll take me since I'm not a straightforward case.

stinkyfeet
02-11-2013, 01:50 PM
I would probably stay with the practice since it sounds like there are many OB's there. I would personally feel uncomfortable going to a midwife practice if I had a history of complicated births--especially mid pregnancy.

Good luck! :hug:

sariana
02-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Since you know the PA well, is there any way you can ask her to speak to the MD on your behalf? I would be concerned by he lack of concern too. I had Ob/Gyns decline services because they felt it might precipitate my labor, but no one ever blew me off like that. They always explained their reasoning and discussed things with me adult-to-adult.

Maybe a different MD would be better? With DS, I was at a 4-doctor practice. There was one I loved, one I liked, one I saw only once so had no opinion, and one I hated because she was condescending. Fortunately the one I loved was the one who delivered DS.

georgiegirl
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
I'd stay only because its unclear whether you'd get anything better with another group, especially since you love the nurse. I'd only think of moving if you have issues like that with more than one of the OBs. Sorry she didn't listen to you. That's ridiculous.

todzwife
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
I think there are 5 OB's and 2 nurses in this practice. I honestly don't care if she delivers my baby because she's NICE enough, she just didn't seem to give a flying flip considering my history.

I ordered some UTI detection strips from Amazon (the same ones the OB uses) so I'll just start testing myself since they are always asymptomatic for me during pregnancy.