PDA

View Full Version : Handwriting Without Tears - What am I missing??

alootikki
02-12-2013, 04:48 PM
After reading all the great reviews of HWOT here, I ordered the Pre-K teachers guide, mini-chalkboard and chalk bits to use with my 4 year old. After realizing that the guide didn't have any worksheets, I also ordered the childrens' Pre-K book.

However, I still can't figure out how to use these! The teacher's guide doesn't really correlate to the kids' guide on a page by page basis, and seems to have general guidelines but not the specifics I need. The sheets in the kids' book doesn't always have directions. I admit I haven't done a very detailed reading of the teacher's guide, but am a little overwhelmed with how to begin. Did I miss a key component?

malphy
02-12-2013, 05:26 PM
After reading all the great reviews of HWOT here, I ordered the Pre-K teachers guide, mini-chalkboard and chalk bits to use with my 4 year old. After realizing that the guide didn't have any worksheets, I also ordered the childrens' Pre-K book.

However, I still can't figure out how to use these! The teacher's guide doesn't really correlate to the kids' guide on a page by page basis, and seems to have general guidelines but not the specifics I need. The sheets in the kids' book doesn't always have directions. I admit I haven't done a very detailed reading of the teacher's guide, but am a little overwhelmed with how to begin. Did I miss a key component?

If you go their website they have many online resources that are free. You should have a code in the workbook or teacher's guide to register and have more access. I love hwot and have been doing it at home with dd since they do not use it at her school. her writing is already improving and I just started. I made up my own worksheets from their website.

AnnieW625
02-12-2013, 05:32 PM
No input, but at DD1's preschool the teachers went to a two day workshop to how to learn how to teach the system. Honestly I am glad I didn't try and teach it at home, and it didn't really help my DD1 much at all even though she had it during her pre k year. Now if you are homeschooling your child and she needs to be able to write on her own then maybe I guess you are stuck, but if she is also going to be learning at school I would try and keep it as simple as possible.

She still had to learn how to write and they did what I call "handwriting bootcamp" the first two months of school (two or three letters per week, and each letter had a worksheet) where they used Saxon Language Arts work sheets. If it were me I would go to an educational supply store and get a big workbook of letter sheets.

Katigre
02-12-2013, 05:56 PM
I am only familiar with their k-2nd grade materials where the guide and workbook correlated very well.

Sent from my Android phone using Swift Key Flow (http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/)

Gracemom
02-13-2013, 09:06 AM
I have used it a little, and my kids do well with forming their letters when they are using the worksheets or when I'm there to guide them. But when writing on their own, they don't follow how they are supposed to write their letters at all. Sorry to hijack but this has been frustrating me.