PDA

View Full Version : Postpartum hair loss

KLD313
02-12-2013, 07:11 PM
When did your hair stop falling out?

My hair is everywhere. After I wash it there are handfuls that come out, I could make a wig. Poor DS always has it wrapped around his hands and it sticks to the DC's fleece PJ's. Super annoying.

I already had my thyroid checked because I have Graves Disease but I'm in remission so I don't think it's from that.

edurnemk
02-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Well my DD is from July and I'm still loosing lots, a bit less than last month, but still quite a bit. I also find my hair wrapped around DD, on the floor, stuck to everything fleece... I don't remember how long it lasted with DS, maybe the worst was over by the time he was 8 months?

Tenasparkl
02-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Still lots in my hair brush and DS is 9 months. SO ready for it to be done!

queenmama
02-12-2013, 07:25 PM
My LO is 9.5 months and I still have some hair loss. It might be attributed to my thyroid, and has definitely slowed down. The worst was probably from around 4-7 months.

Lara

BDKmom
02-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Three to six months out was the worst for me, but I'm still losing more than I typically would, and DD is 8.5 months.

Mommy_Mea
02-12-2013, 09:22 PM
I went through a second phase of it when I weaned my kiddos at a year. With ds1, it never really stopped fully during that first year, just waxed and waned. It seemed endless sometimes!

Katigre
02-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Taking my prenatals helped me nor lose as much hair this time compared to after dd.

Sent from my Android phone using Swift Key Flow (http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/)

essnce629
02-13-2013, 02:36 AM
Many months! I had bald patches at my temples and had to wear wide headbands or comb over it to hide it!!!! It was worse the second time around. Not fun! And I never stopped taking my prenatal vitamins after giving birth (I'm still taking them).

SoCalMommy
02-13-2013, 03:12 AM
Are you breastfeeding? My hair finally stopped falling out after I stopped breastfeeding. I BF for over 18 months. I was told it is a common side effect, but if you are really concerned then call your doc. I also continued with my pre natal vitamins post partum.

pinay
02-13-2013, 03:17 AM
DD2 was born at the end of August and my hair is still falling out in droves. I'm hoping it stops soon because I don't have very thick hair to begin with! I'm taking prenatal vitamins and BFing, but I anticipate this probably going on at least a little longer because it didn't start getting bad till she was about 4 months old.

BabbyO
02-13-2013, 10:40 AM
I went through a second phase of it when I weaned my kiddos at a year. With ds1, it never really stopped fully during that first year, just waxed and waned. It seemed endless sometimes!

This is me, too! I weaned Peanut in Sept and I'm still seeing a fair bit more than "normal" but I'm pretty sure it is slowly diminishing...the hair loss that is! :)

zukeypur
02-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Mine started at about 6 weeks and was really ad for 9 months. I started taking 5000mcg of biotin every day and it helped tremendously.

daphne
02-13-2013, 10:55 AM
DD2 was born at the end of August and my hair is still falling out in droves. I'm hoping it stops soon because I don't have very thick hair to begin with! I'm taking prenatal vitamins and BFing, but I anticipate this probably going on at least a little longer because it didn't start getting bad till she was about 4 months old.

:yeahthat: almost exactly except dd was born mid-august

KLD313
02-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Wow! These answers are surprising me but at least I'm not alone. I hope it ends for all of us experiencing it soon.

trcy
02-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Are you breastfeeding? My hair finally stopped falling out after I stopped breastfeeding. I BF for over 18 months. I was told it is a common side effect, but if you are really concerned then call your doc. I also continued with my pre natal vitamins post partum.:yeahthat: I BF for about 15 mo and my hair loss stopped after I weaned DD.