PDA

View Full Version : Would you talk to the principal?

lalasmama
02-12-2013, 11:12 PM
DD goes to our moderately sized neighborhood public school. Great test scores, caring teachers, involved administrators that SO has worked with; just felt like a great place to send her.

SO is a teacher, albeit in a different district now, and thinks I need to chat with the principal about the issue.... I'm undecided.

DD has food allergies--like epi-pen-carrying, throat swelling food allergies. We just got a her weekly mail, which tells of the fun way they are motivating the kids to learn multiplication. For the 0s, they get a bowl. The 1s, they get a spoon. The 2s they get a scoop of ice cream. The 3s, they get a topping. And in it goes until the kids have earned banana splits! The trouble? DD is allergic to all 3 ice cream flavors (unless they are buying organic ice cream!), and all 3 liquid toppings, and 2 of the 3 "fun" toppings.

The teacher is well-aware of DD's food allergies, but usually ignores them. I've brought in treats for DD and been turned down, being told that they are now a "food-treat-free zone", and yet, DD comes home with suckers, gum, and the like. I asked that the class do no food-treats for Valentines Day, because its the worst holiday offender in regards to the red dye that makes DD swell up like a Macy's Parade balloon, and was told that DD would just need to not eat the sweets given out.

I'm frustrated and feeling bad for DD--kid has it pointed out on a weekly basis that she can't have this or that, and now, I'm having to pay ridiculous amounts of money for her to have a "safe" banana split with the class. (And its terrible--$15 JUST for the non-food-dye sprinkles!)....

WWYD?

sariana
02-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Wait, this is REAL ICE CREAM? That's inappropriate not matter who has or does not have allergies.

In DS's class they earned "gum balls" for completing timed math tests, but they were just paper on drawings of gum ball machines.

jd11365
02-12-2013, 11:21 PM
DD has food allergies--like epi-pen-carrying, throat swelling food allergies.

If this is the case, no food comes into that classroom that is not DD friendly. THROAT SWELLING. Absolutely not.

BunnyBee
02-12-2013, 11:40 PM
What does her 504 plan say?

lalasmama
02-13-2013, 12:06 AM
What does her 504 plan say?

Doesn't have a 504, as she doesn't have any issues that affect her education, apart from well-controlled ADHD...

ABO Mama
02-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I would have a talk.

Mom of XX&XY
02-13-2013, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE=lalasmama;3727242]Doesn't have a 504, as she doesn't have any issues that affect her education, apart from well-controlled ADHD...[/QUO

WAIT she needs a 504. Her allergy is viewed as a disability. I does affect her education. My DD is in the same boat. If she cannot partcioate like the other kids she needs reasonable accommodations.

SASM
02-13-2013, 12:20 AM
DD1's class did this last year (teacher asked me ahead of time). She earned everything, like the rest of the class, but she only picked the items that she could eat and I brought in a few extra items for her to add and share with her friends. She has allergies and we do not eat sweets/dairy/processed items in general, so the sundae in itself was a huge treat. That being said, unlike your DD, other than the nuts, the toppings were not life-threatening and she can be in the room with them, just cannot consume them. She knew better, plus I was in the room while they were consuming. Because your DD HAS life-threatening issues and this has been addressed with the teacher and ignored, I would have NO PROBLEM approaching the principal. If they still go through with this, can you go and "help out" to serve the ice cream, etc? DD's teacher was sooo happy to have me there as everything was melting super fast and 1st graders were swarming. It would be a logical excuse for going, besides the obvious. I wouldn't have an issue buying a to of comparable suitable toppings, though. You can also offer her your own reward for each reward that she earns in the classroom as compensation. We have been giving DD1 25 cents for each "gum award" that she earns in class, as we do not allow gum and lollipops yet. DD is seriously raking in the $$.

lalasmama
02-13-2013, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE=lalasmama;3727242]Doesn't have a 504, as she doesn't have any issues that affect her education, apart from well-controlled ADHD...[/QUO

WAIT she needs a 504. Her allergy is viewed as a disability. I does affect her education. My DD is in the same boat. If she cannot partcioate like the other kids she needs reasonable accommodations.

Interesting, no one has mentioned it, including SO, who is a SpEd (behavior room) teacher. Will look into this more now. I thought it was just for when kids needed "a little extra", but not at IEP levels.

sarahsthreads
02-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Wow, that would irritate me just as a mom of a non-food-allergy kid. We don't use food as bribery for any reason at all at home (not even "you need to eat more of your broccoli if you want dessert") and so food as a classroom bribery for learning math would make me very twitchy.

I'd definitely talk to the principal, since your DD's teacher has repeatedly ignored both your daughter's safety and her feelings. That's ridiculous!

Sarah

BunnyBee
02-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Doesn't have a 504, as she doesn't have any issues that affect her education, apart from well-controlled ADHD...

Anaphylactic food allergies absolutely qualify her for a 504.
http://www.foodallergy.org/page/504-plan
http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/dcl-504faq-201109.html

And if the teacher is using stuff that could kill her as teaching tools, that certainly impacts her education!

ahisma
02-13-2013, 12:51 AM
I would definitely say something.

Aside from the fact that I'm wholly opposed to using food as a motivator in that fashion, I'm appalled that they're not taking her allergies more seriously.

We are lucky enough to not have any food allergies and I still find this situation shocking.

belovedgandp
02-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Had to say, yes, I would say something. Not 100% sold on the reward, but to essentially completely exclude a student (in this case knowingly) is ridiculous.

bisous
02-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Gosh, that's hard. So do you feel like you've really exhausted your avenue with the teacher? What would she say if you told her (reminded her) that your DD cannot have the ice cream or toppings of the "reward"? If you have even a chance of getting through to her by talking to her, I'd go that route first.

Honestly, I understand your reticence to go to the principal. DS1, similar to your DD, has a couple of issues going on. He has ADHD and diabetes and sometimes I find myself getting less than "I can" because it is a matter of picking your battles. Sometimes I have to go in guns blazing and sometimes there is a point of discretion where I've chosen to not make a big deal out of something.

That said, the severity of the allergies is really hard to ignore. I'm trying to put myself in my shoes and I just feel scared! Maybe your DD is more responsible. Maybe your trust her not to eat anything that could provoke an allergic reaction, I don't know. But I worry that everything is being treated as "okay" when in reality, one slip and you could have a major issue. In that instance, it almost gives the negligent teacher an "out" because so many things were let slip before, you know?

But you know your situation best and you have to go with your gut feeling. I will tell you that in my experience, those teachers who want to help and have your child's best interest in mind will not mind your forceful pushback on health matters. And those teachers who might be a little lazy or perhaps not as diligent as you'd hoped are not sated by taking a casual approach, they're still resentful, KWIM?

For the future I would also definitely look at getting a 504 in place.

dogmom
02-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Wow, that would irritate me just as a mom of a non-food-allergy kid. We don't use food as bribery for any reason at all at home (not even "you need to eat more of your broccoli if you want dessert") and so food as a classroom bribery for learning math would make me very twitchy.

I'd definitely talk to the principal, since your DD's teacher has repeatedly ignored both your daughter's safety and her feelings. That's ridiculous!

Sarah

Yes, it pissed me off also. It is just wrong on so many different levels. Food is such a in play issue now. Between food allergies, health, childhood obesity, different families having different approaches, I think I would rather sing religious songs and I'm an atheist. It might be less messy! I think you need to go to the principal and say, "Look, here are the issues that my family is having. Here are the issues other families are having. I think you need to rethink this whole approach. Do you really want to keep dealing with all these parents, because this issue is not going way."

123LuckyMom
02-13-2013, 11:45 AM
I would go to the principal, especially because you have already discussed this with the teacher, and she has been unwilling to accommodate you.

Honestly, if my kid were in that class, I would protest this teaching method anyway. Entirely apart from the FA angle, which makes the use of food inappropriate for any reason in the classroom, I don't want my child consuming junk like gum, candy, and ice cream as a part of the school curriculum! I wouldn't want my kid eating a banana split in school. Add to that that some kids get the treat and others are excluded due to allergies, um, no. Add to that that the child is excluded because what is being served could kill her-- what the heck is the teacher thinking?!? This is no longer a lesson about arithmetic. Now it's a lesson in exclusion and lack of respect.

I know that sounds like a little bit of an overreaction, but I actually do feel that way. I want my child to learn to respect others and to care enough about them to be mindful of both their feelings and their physical health, even if that means he might have to make a tiny sacrifice to live out that respect.

Go to the principal. I definitely would.

Indianamom2
02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm generally a "deal with the teacher directly and avoid the higher-ups" kind of person, but in this case, I think you should speak with the principal. You tried talking to the teacher, you did everything reasonable that should have been done and the teacher apparently doesn't care that your daughter has a life threatening allergy. That's unacceptable.

You don't have to be confrontational (not that I think you are), but addressing a very serious concern is perfectly reasonable in this case. Good luck!

Gena
02-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Interesting, no one has mentioned it, including SO, who is a SpEd (behavior room) teacher. Will look into this more now. I thought it was just for when kids needed "a little extra", but not at IEP levels.

An IEP is for when a student needs modifications to the curriculum, including services such as speech therapy or OT. A 504 plan is for when a student has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits at least one life activity. Eating is a life activity (so is breathing). Your child has a right to be safe in school and to not be discriminated against because of her FA.

Definitely go to the principal about this issue. And then look into getting a 504 plan.

marymoo86
02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
I would definitely talk to the principal about this.

As an aside - why is so much in school related to food?! I certainly do no want teachers making that choice for my child whether there are FA's at play or not. Growing up there was rarely food associated with any activity unless someone's valentine card had a lollipop.

MamaMolly
02-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Anaphylactic food allergies absolutely qualify her for a 504.
http://www.foodallergy.org/page/504-plan
http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/dcl-504faq-201109.html

And if the teacher is using stuff that could kill her as teaching tools, that certainly impacts her education!

[QUOTE=lalasmama;3727254]

An IEP is for when a student needs modifications to the curriculum, including services such as speech therapy or OT. A 504 plan is for when a student has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits at least one life activity. Eating is a life activity (so is breathing). Your child has a right to be safe in school and to not be discriminated against because of her FA.

Definitely go to the principal about this issue. And then look into getting a 504 plan.

:yeahthat: What they all said! Time for a 504. And can I b!tch$lap the teacher for you? Please oh Please oh Please oh PLEASE!?!?!?!

(and don't anyone flame me. I used to be a teacher. And I'm a mom of a child with FA.)

AngB
02-13-2013, 01:24 PM
I would probably try the teacher one more time and then go to the principal, and definitely get a 504 plan.

Do you have her allergies documented at the school with a doctor's note or anything? I wonder if that's part of the problem. Not sure how K-12 public schools work with allergies/notes/etc. since it's usually the nurse/front office who deals with documentation, but when I worked at a NAEYC daycare, any allergies had to have a doctor's note. We actually did have a problem with a couple parents trying to say that foods their child didn't like were allergies, so that they'd be given an alternative, so they were pretty strict about the doctor note thing.

swrc00
02-14-2013, 07:27 PM
I am familiar with the ice cream math fact strategy as a teacher. However as a teacher, I wouldn't even think of doing it if I had a student with allergies like your daughter in my class. If I really wanted to do it, I would have contacted you and asked of another alternative for DD.

I totally agree with the 504. I would request one now, while she is young. Don't let anyone tell you that your daughter doesn't have a right to one.

I am surprised that the teacher doesn't want alternative snacks. I have always had parents send in treats that their children could eat, so their child would get to eat something special when I handed out treats.

I would request a conference with the teacher first and then move to the principal.

sophiesmom03
02-14-2013, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=Mom of XX&XY;3727248]

Careful, now, on the "IEP levels" thing...

Agree with others you need a 504.
I can't understand why the same lesson can't be taught with paper "scoops" of ice cream and toppings...post them all on the wall and let kids have fun adding to them as they increase their achievement.

Carrots
02-14-2013, 09:56 PM
The 1s, they get a spoon. The 2s they get a scoop of ice cream. The 3s, they get a topping. And in it goes until the kids have earned banana splits! The trouble? DD is allergic to all 3 ice cream flavors (unless they are buying organic ice cream!), and all 3 liquid toppings, and 2 of the 3 "fun" toppings.

Is this REAL ice cream, or is it a "banana split" motivational tool made out of construction paper that can be hung in the classroom? I am having trouble imagining different kids learning Xs tables at different rates and having to run to a freezer each time someone demonstrated competancy in 3s. Also, often times Math and LA are taught in the morning so the kids are fresh to learn. It would seem odd to hand out ice cream at 9:30am.

Before you call the principal, contact the teacher and just ask if it is a real banana slpit, or a fake one. I hated it when people would go over my head when there was a simple misunderstanding. BTW, DDA and DDK both have food allergies - nuts and dairy.

lalasmama
02-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Is this REAL ice cream, or is it a "banana split" motivational tool made out of construction paper that can be hung in the classroom? I am having trouble imagining different kids learning Xs tables at different rates and having to run to a freezer each time someone demonstrated competancy in 3s. Also, often times Math and LA are taught in the morning so the kids are fresh to learn. It would seem odd to hand out ice cream at 9:30am.

Before you call the principal, contact the teacher and just ask if it is a real banana slpit, or a fake one. I hated it when people would go over my head when there was a simple misunderstanding. BTW, DDA and DDK both have food allergies - nuts and dairy.

It starts with paper ice cream banana splits and ends at real ones. Got confirmation that the real ice cream is at the end of the year--and by then, she will be at her new school. Her teacher said she was going to have "something else" for DD but didn't have any thought/plan for that would be.

TwinFoxes
02-14-2013, 10:33 PM
I would definitely say something.

Aside from the fact that I'm wholly opposed to using food as a motivator in that fashion, I'm appalled that they're not taking her allergies more seriously.

We are lucky enough to not have any food allergies and I still find this situation shocking.

:yeahthat: Real ice cream sundaes! Wow! That's so strange to me (but my DDs are only in preschool).

PZMommy
02-14-2013, 11:49 PM
At my school, ice cream parties are used for all sorts of things. At the end of each quarter every student that had perfect attendance that quarter gets invited to an ice cream party. Also after state testing there is an ice cream party. The principal organizes these events.

When I had a student with food allergies, the mom gave me a bag of treats to keep in my closet. That way when a student would bring in a birthday treat (we don't always get a heads up that there will be a treat brought in), there was a safe treat for him to have.

KpbS
02-15-2013, 02:50 AM
When I had a student with food allergies, the mom gave me a bag of treats to keep in my closet. That way when a student would bring in a birthday treat (we don't always get a heads up that there will be a treat brought in), there was a safe treat for him to have.

This is what I have always done for DS1. It works really well as oftentimes the parents who bring in a special treat (sometimes "just because") don't let the teacher know in advance so she can't let me know so I can bring in something comparable yet safe for DS.

Since she can't eat hardly any of the components of the treat honestly I would just offer to make/buy DD the treat of her choice instead of the sundae at school or swap out the food treat for a small toy she would love.