PDA

View Full Version : Favorite House Magazines?

arivecchi
02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I love Houzz, but I think I would enjoy getting some house decor mags too. Which decor magazines do you love? I am more into the cottagey/country style since I live in a semi-rural area now in a very traditional house.

crl
02-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Better Homes and Gardens
House Beautiful
Coastal Living

Catherine

ETA. Country Living

buttercup
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
I subscribe to Grit because I am a country-girl wannabe ;)
Elle Decor seems great but have not bit the bullet for the paper version yet

lovin2shop
02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Veranda

elektra
02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
The ones we get at the house are Dwell and Architectural Digest.
Arch Digest is fun because it's like the highest end stuff- aspirational, never gonna happen, but fun to look at. :)

Dwell wouldn't be up your alley with more traditional architecture and interior design, but I love it for my house. :)

kara97210
02-13-2013, 01:33 PM
So many good ones have gone under in the past 5 years (House & Garden, Domino), but I still love House Beautiful. I also like This Old House magazine, I like seeing what people have done to modernize older homes although I would say the style is generally more traditional than my taste.

There are some good online interior design magazines. I like both Lonny (www.lonny.com) and Rue (www.ruemag.com).

queenmama
02-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Maybe try Cottages and Bungalows? I like some of the flea market mags, though there is a lot of shabby chic frou frou to weed through.

Mary Engelbreit was one of my faves, besides Domino, and there's been talk of it starting up again. I like her emphasis on the bright, energetic, artsy style.

ETA: I do love Lonny and Rue. They definitely fill the void left by Domino!

Lara

SASM
02-13-2013, 02:44 PM
House Beautiful and Coastal Living.

elbenn
02-13-2013, 03:13 PM
The only subscription I currently have is Architectural Digest (which was a free subscription), but I have had subscriptions to Elle Decor, Domino, and Veranda and all are good.

arivecchi
02-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Anyone subscribe to Traditional Home?

Should I assume that Coastal Living will not be suited for a semi-rural property in the Midwest or am I mistaken?

I will be subscribing to House Beatiful, Country Living and This Old House. Thanks!

crl
02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Anyone subscribe to Traditional Home?

Should I assume that Coastal Living will not be suited for a semi-rural property in the Midwest or am I mistaken?

I will be subscribing to House Beatiful, Country Living and This Old House. Thanks!

Coastal Living leans beachy, but that can also be cottage so there is some overlap. Maybe not enough for a subscription though. Maybe look at a copy at the library or the bookstore next time you happen to be there and see what you think?

Catherine

arivecchi
02-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Coastal Living leans beachy, but that can also be cottage so there is some overlap. Maybe not enough for a subscription though. Maybe look at a copy at the library or the bookstore next time you happen to be there and see what you think?

Catherine Good idea. I'll do that. Thank you!

boolady
02-13-2013, 05:02 PM
I also recently purchased a copy of HGTV magazine. It's not a serious magazine, but had a lot of nice ideas across the home design style spectrum. I don't think I'd pay for a subscription to it, but I would definitely buy an issue from the newsstand and/or read them at the library to see if I continued to like it or found it repetitive/not worth it.

erv917
02-13-2013, 06:00 PM
If you have an iPad or Android, you might want to consider a subscription to Next Issue.

http://www.nextissue.com/home-2/?utm_expid=45829366-8&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

It includes access many of the magazines suggested here, including back issues. At a minimum, you might want to try the 30 day free trial to allow you to see which magazines interest you most. Personally, I really liked it and I now pay for it. Tons of magazines without all the clutter--perfect for a magazine junkie like me!