PDA

View Full Version : Update post 5: Is this safe

soontobe
02-13-2013, 12:03 PM
My ceramic (stoneware) dishes have cracks in them-along the edges. is it safe to eat on themÉ

soontobe
02-13-2013, 07:11 PM
anyoneÉ I have my grandmothers dishes that I love using, but someone just mentioned to me it might not be safe to eat on

sophiesmom03
02-13-2013, 09:02 PM
How old are they? Any idea what they are made of/and/or glazed or paint with?

We have some of my grandmothers original fiestaware and it had lead so is purely decorative...

queenmama
02-13-2013, 10:41 PM
We have some of my grandmothers original fiestaware and it had lead so is purely decorative...

We have eaten off of vintage Fiesta for more than a decade with no ill effects. We don't microwave it or drink hot tea or coffee from the mugs. I would not eat off of any that is cracked or chipped, though, because some of the glazes do contain lead.

Lara

soontobe
02-14-2013, 01:47 PM
so I just checked and on one of the plates I was about to see that they are pfatzgraff! it was so hard to tell-most of them the stamp seems to have worn out. how do I find out if there is lead in them. they are most likely about 40 yrs old

MamaMolly
02-14-2013, 01:52 PM
I think Home Depot sells an in-home lead test kit. It is a swab you rub on the item to test.

I googled 'lead in dishware' and this was a useful link that came up; http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/lead-stoneware-and-crystal-151-harmful
and according to this one, stoneware made before 1970 is bad, and if you scroll down there is a statement that Pfaltzgraff contains lead and two of the patterns have been recalled. :eek: