PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have dc with wet pull-ups and then dry when switching to undies?

lmr1101
02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Just wondering if I'm crazy? dd1 will be turing 4 next month. She has been daytime trained since she was 25 months, but never dry overnight.
For the past year she has been telling us that when she turns 4 she wants to stop wearing pull-ups at night.
She is at the point she tells us it's ok to pee in pull ups. In the morning before she even gets us she has already taken off her (very wet) pull up and changes into underwear.

Am I crazy to go cold turkey and just switch her to underwear on her birthday? I think she might be ready and just using the pull up as a crutch.

Has anyone done this with a kid who every night still has wet pull ups? Or should I tell her the pull up has to be dry before we start switching?

TwoBees
02-13-2013, 12:55 PM
I don't know about night time (we're not there yet), but for a long time DD would pee in her Pull-up just because she could, but would be perfectly dry in undies. It was as though she knew she didn't have to try too hard to use the potty if she had a pull-up on. I'd ask her if she had to go, and she'd say "no, I just went [in the pull-up]."

rin
02-13-2013, 12:56 PM
My DD used to wake up with a dry diaper, pee in it, then take it off and change into her underpants. We switched her to wearing underpants at night and she's been fine ever since.

If you don't mind a bit of laundry, I'd invest in some waterproof mattress covers, make up the bed with a layer or two of cover-sheet-cover-sheet etc, and let your DD sleep in underpants. If she IS peeing in her sleep, a few times of waking up feeling wet might be enough to trigger her body's awareness and to wake her up enough to go to the bathroom (or to stop peeing). She also might just be peeing in the pullup when she gets up, since she knows it's for holding pee. Of course, she also might not be ready, but I suspect, given that she told you that it's ok to pee in a pullup, that you won't find out if she's ready until you take the pullups away.

crl
02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
My DD used to wake up with a dry diaper, pee in it, then take it off and change into her underpants. We switched her to wearing underpants at night and she's been fine ever since.

I am pretty sure this is what ds was doing for a while too. I think it's worth a try and if it doesn't work, then just go back to pull-ups at night. (definitely put a waterproof cover over her mattess first if you don't already have one.

Catherine

sweet_pea
02-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm in the same boat...DD is 3.5 and has been day-trained since 25 months, but still has a very wet diaper in the morning. I have a friend who was convinced her girls were peeing in their diapers only in the morning, so she switched them to underwear at night cold turkey and it seemed to work for them. However, I am still debating whether or not it's time to try this with my own DD. DH and/or I check on her every night before we go to bed, and oftentimes I can already detect a bit of the wet-diaper smell when I get close to her bed. I do think it's worth a try to put down your DD without the pull-up for a few nights and see what happens. I'm going to experiment with this for sure once DD turns 4, if she's still waking up wet.

lmr1101
02-14-2013, 12:26 AM
I know for sure she is not just peeing when she wakes up in the morning... sometimes she even tells me that she just went potty - right as she is falling asleep. :banghead:
I tell her to let me know and we'll go to the bathroom so her pull up stays dry.

I think I'm going to do it. We're going to Disneyland the day before her birthday - I think we'll tell her when we get back that she gets to sleep in underwear.
I've got quite a few mattress pads ready to go and I just got a free sample in the mail for one of those goodnights bed sheets!
Wish me (and her) luck!!!

daisyd
02-16-2013, 02:18 PM
OP we're in the same boat with 4 yr old DS1 and I came to post this same question. He's been dry during the day for at least a year now but seems to need his overnites. He wakes up with very wet diapers. I've hesitated to try undies because we have a new baby at home and I don't want to add to the stress of this big change.

I'll be watching this thread. Please keep us posted. Good luck!

Dr C
02-16-2013, 02:49 PM
We went cold turkey out of very wet pull-ups to undies at night with DS (who was almost 6 at the time). It worked well; he did have occasional accidents (still does but they get fewer as time goes on) but for the most part was dry after we switched him. We had tried a few times to do the same when he was younger and we knew within a few nights it was not going to work. Go for it, if you don't have much luck, go back to pull-ups and try again in a few months.

wellyes
02-16-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm sure she's capable, though you may have a wet morning or two. But after nearly a year I'd definitely stop using pull ups.

AJP
02-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Just wondering if I'm crazy? dd1 will be turing 4 next month. She has been daytime trained since she was 25 months, but never dry overnight.
For the past year she has been telling us that when she turns 4 she wants to stop wearing pull-ups at night.
She is at the point she tells us it's ok to pee in pull ups. In the morning before she even gets us she has already taken off her (very wet) pull up and changes into underwear.

Am I crazy to go cold turkey and just switch her to underwear on her birthday? I think she might be ready and just using the pull up as a crutch.

Has anyone done this with a kid who every night still has wet pull ups? Or should I tell her the pull up has to be dry before we start switching?

We did exactly this for one of my DD's...right down to changing into underpants in the morning. She would even tell me that she would wake up at night needing to go and would just go in the pull-up since that's what it was for! ;) I hid all the pull-ups but 3 and said you have 3 more nights with them and she they run out its underwear all night/every night. She transitioned just fine. I do think it matters if they are waking when they need to go. Obviously my DD was ready since she was waking up and knew she had to go. She was capable of going into the bathroom herself OR waking us. She was not sleeping right through and going in her pull-up because of a heavy sleep etc. She would stay dry a few times in the pull-up and tell me in the morning that she woke up and went in the potty. Yes, there were a few wet mornings, but after a few of those she was fine. Be ready to go back to pull-ups if it isn't working. Some kids sleep so heavily at times that they don't know they're going.