PDA

View Full Version : DH is right...I should let it go..

niccig
02-13-2013, 02:08 PM
DH and his middle sister don't get along. Never ever. She's a difficult personality and everyone in the family (parents, other sister, aunts, cousins) get along with her to varying degrees, but everyone says she's difficult.

I used to email to get present ideas for her kids for Christmas and their birthdays and she would respond. Last Christmas she didn't reply, it was a difficult time as her MIL was ill in hospital, so I understood and asked DH's mom, my MIL, for some ideas. MIL said the kids liked the presents.

It's DNeice's birthday so I email asking for ideas, normally I'm told giftcard to justice or itunes, but getting bored with that so wanted some other ideas. No response. DH again asks his mom and she gives us a great idea. I send off the present via amazon, email SIL to tell it's on the way. No response.

I ask DH if we did something to piss off SIL. We haven't seen her in 18 months. She lives close to MIL and didn't go last summer, but are going to visit this summer. He says "we exist and take my mom's attention from her and her kids, so yes, we've done something." He says to just let it go and to ask his mother from now on for present ideas. It just seems so odd to me to circumvent the parent to ask the grandparent, but I suppose I have no other choice.

queenmama
02-13-2013, 02:39 PM
He says to just let it go and to ask his mother from now on for present ideas. It just seems so odd to me to circumvent the parent to ask the grandparent, but I suppose I have no other choice.

It does seem strange but as she is doing nothing to foster the relationship (if anything, the opposite), this seems like the way to go. It's sweet that you're still trying to be involved with the kids, I'm sure they appreciate it!

Lara

newnana
02-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Ok, so it could be that.

Or could it be that her email address changed? ours did a little over a year ago, extremely close to our old one. Other school moms just thought I was being rude not responding to birthday party and school requests. Nope, never got them.

If you are sure that the email is getting there, let it go. You are being the awesome aunt reaching out and thinking of the kiddos. So sorry this is happening.

niccig
02-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Or could it be that her email address changed? ours did a little over a year ago, extremely close to our old one. Other school moms just thought I was being rude not responding to birthday party and school requests. Nope, never got them.

If you are sure that the email is getting there, let it go. You are being the awesome aunt reaching out and thinking of the kiddos. So sorry this is happening.

This could be it...I just checked an email MIL sent to everyone...and there is 1 letter different...off to email and MIL gave me an idea for birthday present...let's see if I get response now.