PDA

View Full Version : Do I pay? How?

baymom
02-13-2013, 06:18 PM
The Mom of DS's close friend invited him for a full day playdate to a semi local museum. Since its the whole day, it would also include at least one meal. I'd like to pay for his ticket, at least. Do I send him with money and instructions to offer to pay? Do I offer it to the Mom when I drop him off to her house? What's the protocol? When *we* take a playdate somewhere with us, I absolutely expect to pay for our guest, but I'm not sure how it works with others.

maestramommy
02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
You could offer, but if *you* usually expect to pay for a guest, quite possible the other mom does as well. I would always offer as a matter of course, but graciously accept if they want to pay. I mean, unless it's a $$$.

baymom
02-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks Melinda. It's probably $10 for the museum ticket, plus lunch. In the past (just 2 times), when I've sent DS with money, he forgets to offer when the time comes...or feels uncomfortable doing it--not sure.

kellij
02-13-2013, 06:37 PM
I think the protocol will depend on how old your child is. If older, you could give them money, but it seems like too much if he or she is 5, or something.

new_mommy25
02-13-2013, 06:39 PM
In these situations I usually hand the money to the parent and explain that it's for admission/lunch and I don't want DS to lose it. Almost always the parent gives it back to me at the end.

baymom
02-13-2013, 06:56 PM
DS is 8 and in third grade. I think I'll just offer money to the Mom. Does $20 sound reasonable? They'll be watching the IMAX show, too, the Mom mentioned. I'd prefer to just offer an easy round dollar amount, I think. $25?

nfowife
02-13-2013, 06:56 PM
If I invite I plan to pay for the most part. Also we have memberships to the local museums so we don't have to pay for additional kids and then just lunch is a small cost. I'd hand money to the parent as pp suggested.

rlu
02-13-2013, 06:59 PM
DS is 8 and in third grade. I think I'll just offer money to the Mom. Does $20 sound reasonable? They'll be watching the IMAX show, too, the Mom mentioned. I'd prefer to just offer an easy round dollar amount, I think. $25?

$10 for museum, $7ish for IMAX and ? for lunch is how I would figure it so $25 sounds about right. I would give it to the mom and tell her to use the $20 for his souvenier if she tries to give it back.

anamika
02-13-2013, 07:08 PM
My friend offered me money for both the kids to get souvenirs. I thought that was a nice way to handle it.
Usually though I just reciprocate next time we are going somewhere.

mytwosons
02-13-2013, 07:13 PM
I just tell the parent DS has money for everything in his pocket.

GaPeach_in_Ca
02-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Our friends took my 3rd grader down to Monterey for a day. I gave the mom $20 for lunch (and my son's pass and 2 guest passes to the aquarium). I think she appreciated it.

infomama
02-13-2013, 07:45 PM
When we invite kids to come with us to places that charge admission we pay. I may send $10 along if they go into the gift shop or want to get a snack.