PDA

View Full Version : Good active toys for open basement?

amom526
02-13-2013, 06:42 PM
We have a pretty large space in our finished basement that is mostly empty right now. Ds1 is newly 2, and newborn DS2. DS1 is just starting to enjoy playing downstairs - I want to get some toys that encourage him to be active, since we are stuck at home with the baby more often than before. So far we have a little tikes basketball hoop and a tent and tunnel which are filled with balls. He also has a riding toy, but I'm open to more of those.

Any other suggestions?

I'm considering those large cardboard building blocks, and an easel (not active, but no room for it upstairs), but looking for some more ideas. thanks!

MommyAllison
02-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Slide or plastic climber, mini trampoline (might need to wait a year), small soccer ball w/mini cones for goal (if nothing breakable around), bowling set, maybe water table to fill with rice, scoops, cups, etc if he won't try to eat it or throw it everywhere?

mommytoC
02-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Slide or plastic climber, mini trampoline (might need to wait a year), small soccer ball w/mini cones for goal (if nothing breakable around), bowling set, maybe water table to fill with rice, scoops, cups, etc if he won't try to eat it or throw it everywhere?

:yeahthat: Also hop balls...our DDs (still) love theirs!

AngelaS
02-14-2013, 02:04 AM
We have hop balls and plasma cars.

elbenn
02-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Plasma car or Wheely bug
Hoppity ball or Rody
If there's room, maybe a small bounce house.
Little wagon to haul around toys--like this: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-616150-Lil-Wagon/dp/B003PGRGGW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360850394&sr=8-2&keywords=toy+wagon

azzeps
03-01-2013, 01:15 AM
A wheely bug, for sure! My kids both love theirs, and they ride them round and round, through the kitchen, hall, living room and dining room. It's like a big race track. Wish we had a basement. I have fond memories of my cousins and I roller skating and riding tricycles in our unfinished basement.

roseyloxs
03-01-2013, 01:27 AM
Wheely bug and trampoline. My kids just got the trampoline for xmas and are :heartbeat: it. Some toddler board games are on the active side too like Speedy Diner.

amom526
03-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Im thinking of a wheely bug. Ds has some gross motor issues, and doesn't really get how to propel the riding toys, but maybe this will motivate him to practice.

gobadgers
03-01-2013, 09:08 AM
I second the trampoline and slide.

Our grocery cart and doll stroller both have a lot of miles on them.

Sit n Spin

If you have a long, narrow open space, a Little Tykes roller coaster is fun (might be better in a year or two).

My kids also find endless uses for my exercise ball.