PDA

View Full Version : updates in 25 & 30. juice fast starts tomorrow!

infomama
02-13-2013, 08:48 PM
DH and I just got over a nasty stomach flu during which we watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and Hungry for Change on Netflix which were both excellent.
So.....tomorrow starts our 10 day juice fast. I may go longer but I have DH for 10 days for sure.

I tried it out with my Vitamix today (made "mean green" juice and strained it through cheesecloth) but by the time it made it to the bowl it started to get warm (from all the blending) so were picking up a juicer tomorrow.

I've juiced in the past (probably a decade ago) and I'm excited to do it again.
I'll keep you guys updated if there is interest.

WatchingThemGrow
02-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Oh, there's interest!!! DH and I watched that movie in late Oct. (FS&ND) and he had me out looking for a juicer. He is so interested in doing it. He wants a vitamix though, and we were going to get one for his bday this weekend.I know the juicer does work better for straight juicing, but I don't want to buy both right now...

Let us know daily how you're doing!

Sweetum
02-14-2013, 01:42 AM
thoought I should let you know that in case you have a magic bullet, or are planning to buy one, it comes with a strainer attachmet. I make fresh orange juices with it - they're great.

essnce629
02-14-2013, 03:55 AM
Sounds exciting! Keep us updated! I watched Fat, Sick... last year and it's a great movie. There was a mom on here last year who watched it as well and then did a juice fast with her DH and started a blog about it. She didn't make it as far as she wanted, but I enjoyed reading her blog posts.

infomama
02-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Sounds exciting! Keep us updated! I watched Fat, Sick... last year and it's a great movie. There was a mom on here last year who watched it as well and then did a juice fast with her DH and started a blog about it. She didn't make it as far as she wanted, but I enjoyed reading her blog posts.
Oh I remember that! Wasn't it something like juice hold the Gin?

lhafer
02-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Oh I remember that! Wasn't it something like juice hold the Gin?

HA! That was me!! It was Juice - Where's the Gin? I had no idea anyone was even reading that!! I got bad about posting.

We did juice straight for a while. And we kept juicing almost daily for a long time. Then, as life goes, it went by the way side. I actually bought a Vitamix blender and we switched more to smoothies than juice. So the Breville Fountain Plus juicer I had sat unused and I eventually sold it.

About 6.5 months ago I had weight loss surgery, and have since lost 80lbs. DH did 6 months of P90X and lost about 50lbs. Just last week I started looking into Paleo ways of eating, and am trying to move my family in that direction.

DH wanted to start juicing...again, so I researched juicers...again. It came down to the Breville Juice Fountain Elite 800JEXL (http://canvasli.com/breville-juicer/breville-juicer-reviews/)($300) or the Omega 8006 masticating juicer (http://canvasli.com/masticating-juicers/omega-80038005-juicer-most-versatile-juicer/) ($300). At first I was leary about spending the money...after all we have a Vitamix!! But in the end I decided to try to Omega juicer out, and so far I love it. It does greens (spinach/kale) REALLY well. Centerfuge juicers (Breville), would leave quite a bit of wet pulp behind on the leafy stuff, but did fruits really well. But since I have a Vitamix, and really wanted to get the most out of leafy greens vs fruits - I chose the masticating juicer. The Omega does fruits and veggies with ease as well. But if I want berries, peaches, and othe soft fruits - I tend to prefer those in a smoothie from the Vitamix anyway. And the Omega has a pretty small footprint. I have the Omega and the Vitamix side by side on my counter. They live in harmony. :) BTW - I got my Omega at Bed Bath and Beyond and used my 20% off coupon.

Quick differences:
Breville (juicers in general) - centerfugal juicers, don't do leafy greens as well, better at fruits/veggies, very quick, loud, large footprint, screen can be a PITA to clean. Usually have about a 1yr warranty.
Omega (masticating juicers) - do leafy greens excellently, also can do fruits/veggies, slower than centerfugal, very quiet, smaller footprint, super easy to clean. My Omega has a 15 year warrantly.

I should really pick my blog back up. A lot has happened with our weight loss journey over the past year.

infomama
02-14-2013, 01:43 PM
I'll update tonight but so far:
I purchased the Breville Juice Fountain from BBB. My 20% off coupon worked even though it said Breville was excluded so score at just over $110.

Loaded up at whole foods with organic kale, parsley, beets, green and red apples, carrots, cabbage, limes, tomatoes, radishes, celery, cukes, baby spinach, oranges, lemons and ginger. My cart was impressive!

First juice was on the reboot plan...apple, carrot and ginger. It was DELICIOUS!

Next I'm going to make gazpacho juice (plum tomatoes, cucumber, celery, red bell pepper, sm red onion, parsley and lime.

Then I'll have a citrus afternoon snack which is kale, cucumber,, spinach (because I don't have Swiss chard), red apples and an orange.

I'll keep you posted!

lhafer
02-14-2013, 03:10 PM
I'll update tonight but so far:
I purchased the Breville Juice Fountain from BBB. My 20% off coupon worked even though it said Breville was excluded so score at just over $110.

Loaded up at whole foods with organic kale, parsley, beets, green and red apples, carrots, cabbage, limes, tomatoes, radishes, celery, cukes, baby spinach, oranges, lemons and ginger. My cart was impressive!

First juice was on the reboot plan...apple, carrot and ginger. It was DELICIOUS!

Next I'm going to make gazpacho juice (plum tomatoes, cucumber, celery, red bell pepper, sm red onion, parsley and lime.

Then I'll have a citrus afternoon snack which is kale, cucumber,, spinach (because I don't have Swiss chard), red apples and an orange.

I'll keep you posted!

:bighand::jammin:

THe gazpacho one sounds interesting...interested to know how that one tastes. I made a spinach/greek yogurt/apple/banana/orange smoothie this morning. It was great, but my picky daughter wouldn't drink it. I have to find a combo that works for her so she will eat more fruits/veggies!

infomama
02-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Ok..I didn't like the gazpacho. I drank it but next time I'm going to try this one instead http://www.eatinginbed.com/gazpacho-juice/

infomama
02-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Didn't like the citrus one so i made my own...carrot, spinach, celery, ginger, green apple, lemon. So good. I have to work on the right balance for the kale. I think peeling the lemon and limes are more palatable.

infomama
02-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Deleted....i forgot an ingredient....that's why it was bad.

lhafer
02-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Definitely don't do the peel on citrus fruits - it tastes awful and isn't good for you anyway.

Kale and ginger are both ones that have to have good ratios or can make a juice blend awful. Also a little beet goes a long way.

infomama
02-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Definitely don't do the peel on citrus fruits - it tastes awful and isn't good for you anyway.

Kale and ginger are both ones that have to have good ratios or can make a juice blend awful. Also a little beet goes a long way.

Thanks for the tips!

infomama
02-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Day two was good. I was so tired last night (end of day 1) and i slept for 10 hours but when my alarm went off this morning i was feeling great. I won't lie...i think about eating food alot. Leaving the salted caramels that were brought over for Valentines Day alone was really hard but i did. I find that I really do have to drink a big juice every couple of hours or I get pretty hungry.... makes sense though considering how efficiently the nutrients I'm consuming are being absorbed. I think it's awesome that someone put the calorie counts on MFP for lots of the juices from Joes reboot site.
Onward....

sandwish
02-15-2013, 11:03 PM
I am so excited for you. I wish you great success. I love juicing.

My journey, started January 2012, with green smoothies to raw foods lifestyle to green juices to paleo to whole30. It has been a wonderful journey. I juice daily but did do a seven day fast last year. After watching the movie, my DH did over 30 days and lost a lot of weight.

I personally love lemon. Lemon or ginger can make things taste better. But I personally like lemon because ginger can be a bit spicy for me. To be successful, don't try to do too many weird things. Make simple juices and enjoy them, enjoy the experience.

lhafer
02-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Keep on plugging info mama!! I agree with the pp...our juices tasted best when we only used about 3-4 ingredients. Good luck,a nd post the recipes that you end up loving!

infomama
02-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Little update.....
Returned the juicer for an omega 8006. I didn't like how the other was doing with leafy greens and it was so loud!
Watch Fork over Knife...its on Netflix. Awesome documentary about eating plant based diets. DH and i are super motivated to change our eating habits forever. We are not ready to go vegetarian just yet but we are making some major changes.
Finally...juice fast is on pause for one week due to unavoidable circumstances. I'm looking forward to next Saturday when i start juicing again because right now i feel awesome!

nrp
02-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Little update.....
Returned the juicer for an omega 8006. I didn't like how the other was doing with leafy greens and it was so loud!
Watch Fork over Knife...its on Netflix. Awesome documentary about eating plant based diets. DH and i are super motivated to change our eating habits forever. We are not ready to go vegetarian just yet but we are making some major changes.
Finally...juice fast is on pause for one week due to unavoidable circumstances. I'm looking forward to next Saturday when i start juicing again because right now i feel awesome!

I ordered the Omega 8006 the other day during the Macy's sale but its on backorder for awhile - post an update when you can!

infomama
02-17-2013, 07:52 PM
I ordered the Omega 8006 the other day during the Macy's sale but its on backorder for awhile - post an update when you can!

You are going to love this juicer. Its so quiet, juice does not separate, simple to clean, dry pulp. I can't wait to make pasta with it!
Just prepare to cut the veggies/fruit smaller and it does take a bit longer. So worth it. It's a beautiful machine, too. So glad we got the chrome.

sandwish
02-17-2013, 08:05 PM
I almost bought the 8006 but ended up with the Omega 350. If you want to learn more about the device and other juicing tips, visit YouTube.com/rawfoods. The guy sells juicers but his videos, all though lengthy, are full of information. I follow all three of his channels and appreciated his information so much I specifically bought from him. He highly rates the 8006 and 350. He even does a comparison to the breville. I love making banana ice cream and it should be easier with the 8006.

Enjoy!

lhafer
02-18-2013, 12:45 AM
You are going to love this juicer. Its so quiet, juice does not separate, simple to clean, dry pulp. I can't wait to make pasta with it!
Just prepare to cut the veggies/fruit smaller and it does take a bit longer. So worth it. It's a beautiful machine, too. So glad we got the chrome.

The first time I used the 8006, I tried to do spinach too fast and too much at a time, and I was sorely disappointed. Then I tried it again after watching several youtube videos, and my results were SOOO much better!!

The breville was decent enough, but I'm really starting to LOVE my Omega 8006!! I can't wait to get back to juicing again next week!!

pastrygirl
02-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Darn, this makes me wish we'd gone with the Omega! We got the Breville a year ago and ended up liking spinach in all our juices.

Mermanaid
02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
I don't have a juicer but reading this thread made me sit up and notice Target's deal of the day. Omega White Vert Juicing System for $238. Not sure if this is a great deal or not but thought I'd post here in case someone was looking for a juicer.

http://www.target.com/p/omega-white-vert-juicing-system/-/A-12737147?ddPage=daily%20deals

sandwish
02-18-2013, 09:33 PM
This looks like a good deal. What I can't tell is if it is the HD model or not which has a stronger screen. The 330hd and 350hd are the same but with a stronger screen. One good thing about the omega 330/350 is that it has a 10 year warranty. The 8006/8004 (same but different colors and newer screen) has a 15 year warranty. Compared to breville with a one year.

infomama
02-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Quick update...
I am not totally fasting right now but due to my three day fast I have made some major changes in the way I and my family eats. First off....I feel amazing. I feel clearer, more relaxed, happier. My body feels healthier. I have more energy. I've lost a few pounds and it takes less to fill me up. I don't crave sweets anymore (miracle) and i don't feel like i need a glass of wine to relax. We have decided to almost completely eliminate processed food. I cleaned out my pantry...the cans of soup, soup powder packets...all that stuff is gone. We have committed to eat meat less than once a week. No more lunch meat, American cheese, processed is out...fresh and whole is in. I have to admit I'm a little nervous because I feel like I need to learn how to cook again but I'm sure we'll figure it out. We decided to not go with faux meats and soy everything. They aren't healthy and I don't want to trade one processed thing for another.
The reason I am doing this is first because I can not deny they way I am feeling. It's truly like a high. I feel so dang good and there is no way I am going to keep pumping crap into me or my kids when I know this feeling comes from the foods I have been eating over the past week. Secondly...I have high cholesterol and I want to knock my numbers down.
If you are considering juicing or just starting to eat whole food plan based diets I highly encourage you to start now. Its not easy but after your initial detox is over... you will thank me. I crave juice now as does DH. My family is having a blast making juice and I can't help but smile from ear to ear watching them enjoy these amazing concoctions.

turtle12
02-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Wow this is awesome! Do you have a link to the plan you followed?

daisysmom
02-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Awesome update. That's how I feel with kind of a varied whole30 diet. I am nervous about switching my dd and dh but as good as I feel, I kind of think I have to make them switch too!

pastrygirl
02-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Great update! My husband and I need to rewatch Fat, sick.

I just got the macy's flyer for a sale on the 23rd (preview day Friday) and it says ALL juicers will be 40% off. I'll be keeping an eye out for an Omega.

lhafer
02-20-2013, 01:11 AM
Your update is awesome! I'm in the same boat. I want to switch my family over to a Paleo way of eating, and my DH is on board (after watching the sugar documentary!). We do smoothies and juice already. The problem is getting my kids switched over. I have 1 daughter who is addicted to cheese/dairy in general, mac n cheese, hot dogs, etc. It's almost impossible to get fruits and veggies in her. I'm trying to figure out if going cold turkey is the way to go, or to ease into with her. She will be 7 in March. She is the world's pickiest eater, and I know that she is not growing as much as she could due to her diet. SHe hangs around the 4th percentile for her age in weight! Last I checked she was about 43 pounds fully clothed. She has some sensory issues, even with food. And I've been trying to find the right combo of juice/smoothie that she will tolerate to get more fruits/veggies in her.

infomama
02-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Another update...
Still loving this. I am now drinking 1-2 juices juice a day. My favorite is kale, cuke, carrot, one green and one red apple and a peeled meyer lemon. Still feeling awesome, no meat/eggs or processed garbage. I have had a little cheese but not much at all.
Still loosing weight. All in all I'm down over 8 pounds and I haven't been to yoga in about a week (going today though!)
This weekend I am making some meat free test recipes mostly for dds to try. They love portobello mushroom caps (drizzled with a little balsamic, laid basil leaves down then stuffed them with fire roasted tomatoes and topped with a little smoked cheese) which is awesome. Making vegetarian chili again today and a quinoa dish as well. Making whole wheat pasta with my juicer this weekend as well. Hope it turns out!
For pp who asked about a plan to follow I suggest first watching the three movies (Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, Hungry For Change and Forks Over Knives) and see what grabs you. I think for this to be successful it has to work for you so pick and choose and do it!! It's the best thing I've done for myself in years.
I found another green smoothie site (www.incrediblesmoothies.com (http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com)) so looking forward to trying some of her recipes as well.

Almost forgot about DH....he's down about 10 lbs and isn't looking back. He never did a full fast but is drinking juice daily as well. For desert last night we had a couple of organic dates which is a far cry from our old habits and we didn't feel deprived in the least.

lhafer
02-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Great update! I am drinking a juice as I type this! I made DH a kale/celery/carrot/orange juice this morning. It was a bit "earthy" for me, but kale is quite earthy in flavor. I made myself an apple/lots of blueberry/spinach/a small handful of grapes juice. Very tasty.

Let me know how the pasta turns out!!

lhafer
02-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Not sure if you have any juice recipe books, but I have several. My favorite one is this one: http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Book-Juices-Vitality/dp/1844839737/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361638360&sr=8-1&keywords=juice+book Great for juices and smoothies. Love it can you quickly find recipes that have various fruit bases or veggie bases, depending on what kind of juice/smoothie you want to taste.

I also have this one, but don't use it nearly as much as the one above. http://www.amazon.com/Green-Smoothie-Bible-Delicious-Recipes/dp/156975974X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361638457&sr=1-1&keywords=green+smoothie+bible

nrp
03-15-2013, 04:50 PM
I received my Omega 8006 yesterday, and I love it! So easy to clean and makes nice dry pulp. DD1 is loving the juice - yesterday was apple/carrot/ginger and apple/kale/cucumber/lemon. Both really good! The kale one was a little too lemony, but I added it to our banana berry smoothies this morning and it was a good change from the coconut milk that I usually use. This afternoon was another apple and carrot, with a couple of strawberries, some cucumber, and a smidge of lemon. Delicious! DS is not as enthused so far, but I think I can win him over. I don't know if I'll use it every day, but definitely a few times a week.

ETA: I am looking for a good juice pulp muffin recipe. There are tons on the web, but hard to figure which are worth the effort. Any suggestions?

infomama
03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Ya! It is simple to clean, isn't it. We keep the little screen brush on the sink in a small mason jar. We use ours daily though.

I have not attempted any muffin recipes. My dogs get some of the carrot/apple pulp most days sprinkled over their dry food. They are carrot freaks.

Our favorite juice is now...kale, celery, peeled Meyer lemon, carrot, one green and one red apple and wheatgrass.

I tried a pulled pork dish a week or so ago and it kicked my ass. I felt like a had a brick in my stomach. Bloated as all get out and just felt awful. Meat and I don't get along anymore.

I'm down 10 lbs total and feel like a million bucks. I have about 7 more to go until I'm at my ultimate goal weight.