PDA

View Full Version : Ever try "regrets only"? (update #8)

wellyes
02-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Wondering if it is a better method than RSVP?
Better meaning gets faster answers or more accurate headcount.

mik8
02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
I seem to be getting more accurate head counts with "regrets only" than RSVP. When I did RSVP on DD's b-days, I noticed I end up doing more f/ups.

alexsmommy
02-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Yep, I used to all of the time. For me, it seems to work better. The yes's seem to do what I do, put it on my calendar, but forget to rsvp. The no's seem to be more aware of letting the host know asap.
Now with Evite I haven't needed it as much since it sends those nice reminders.

KLD313
02-14-2013, 11:44 AM
I only ever do regrets only so don't have a bunch of people calling me. It works well.

gamma
02-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Getting a response seems to get harder and harder! I think since everyone leads such busy lives with multiple invites, they wait to choose which to attend and then forget to respond to the others. Of course my very realistic son says "they are waiting to see if they get a better offer!" I am hosting a 70th birthday party this Sunday and was having so much trouble getting a definite commitment from a number of guests. I kept hearing, "I don't know yet". Here is my new strategy and it worked! I called each person, when they responded with "I don't know yet", I said oh ok, I am ordering the foood tomorrow, so I won't count on you for dinner, please feel free to stop by for cake and coffee and to wish the birthday girl, Happy Birthday. Amazingly, each person called me that night and said they would be there!

MamaInMarch
02-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Getting a response seems to get harder and harder! I think since everyone leads such busy lives with multiple invites, they wait to choose which to attend and then forget to respond to the others. Of course my very realistic son says "they are waiting to see if they get a better offer!" I am hosting a 70th birthday party this Sunday and was having so much trouble getting a definite commitment from a number of guests. I kept hearing, "I don't know yet". Here is my new strategy and it worked! I called each person, when they responded with "I don't know yet", I said oh ok, I am ordering the foood tomorrow, so I won't count on you for dinner, please feel free to stop by for cake and coffee and to wish the birthday girl, Happy Birthday. Amazingly, each person called me that night and said they would be there!

Nice way to handle it!

wellyes
02-14-2013, 07:00 PM
I think I will try it. The thing is, my party is at a place with very limited space, so I really do want to have time to invite someone else. I will put a date on it, I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback.

wellyes
04-07-2013, 08:22 AM
UPDATE: Tried it and it worked great. I got NO regrets, but, 13 of the 14 kids showed up, and the one who didn't texted that day about being sick. Two parents with questions about the party emailed me beforehand. It worked out great.

I was nervous people would forget without having to go through RSVPing ( I sent invites a month early, and my party was 35 minutes out of town) but no one did.

I will do "regrets only" again, it saved parents some hassle and saved me from keeping track of the guest list.

Melaine
04-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Glad you had a good turnout! I like the idea of regrets only....