PDA

View Full Version : Kindle as gift

gamma
02-14-2013, 02:22 PM
I need a gift for a 70 year old. She is not tech savy at all. The paperwhite has wifi, so would I be able to download books using a kindle gift card directly to her kindle without hooking up to a computer? Also, she has macular degeneration so the main appeal of the kindle would be to enlarge the font so she would be able to see it easily. Do you think that the large font will work for her?

Aishe
02-14-2013, 02:41 PM
My mother is 68 and has macular degeneration. I got her the basic Kindle for Christmas and she LOVES it. She says it's the best gift I've ever given her. Does the recipient have wifi in her home? If not, I think you probably want the Paperwhite 3G, which doesn't require a wireless connection.

gamma
02-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Good to hear! Yes, she does have wifi. Anything else that I should know about? I think if I order it, it is set up linked to my account? Will I be able to change that easily? Also, how do I set up an account for her with a Kindle gift card that she can spend down the balance by purchasing books? Money is a huge issue for her.

sophiesmom03
02-14-2013, 03:38 PM
You would have to set up an account for her. Then give the Kindle as a gift. Also send the gift cards/ebooks as gifts.

She will need an email address, if she does not have one.

Great gift!