PDA

View Full Version : Another update & PSA in #29: Mattress quick fix

BayGirl2
02-14-2013, 04:55 PM
I've posted about getting a new laytex mattress and king sized bed but I still can't pull the trigger. Our current 3 yo bed has such bad indentations we are both miserable. We decided to try to do a warranty claim on it because a replacement would at least postpone our investment by a couple years, maybe.

From what I hear the warranty standards are so tight no one ever has a successful claim. We have a 20 year warranty with Aireloom but need to have like a 1 3/4 inch difference in depth. Crazy! The mattress inspector guy is coming next week so I've stopped sleeping on the high part in the middle and focused on pushing my butt deeper into the indentation on my side.

Has anyone ever gotten a mattress replaced by the manufacturer? Or are the warranties just set up to be all marketing?

Hemlock
02-14-2013, 05:10 PM
One of my co-workers did. But she "cheated" by putting bricks in the indentation for a few nights before the Inspector came to measure.

AnnieW625
02-14-2013, 05:21 PM
If you are truly unhappy with the mattress then yes I would file a claim. Aireloom is not a cheap mattress from what I recall, probably on par with a latex mattress from one of the latex mattress companies IIRC. I think if the mattress is truly defective they should replace it.

Good luck.

WatchingThemGrow
02-14-2013, 05:40 PM
I have had one replaced by warranty. The next one sagged immediately but didn't measure deep enough. DH was so uncomfortable we gave away the $2k mattress on CL and bought one from SAMs. It's going back as soon as we can manage it.

BayGirl2
02-14-2013, 06:01 PM
If you are truly unhappy with the mattress then yes I would file a claim. Aireloom is not a cheap mattress from what I recall, probably on par with a latex mattress from one of the latex mattress companies IIRC. I think if the mattress is truly defective they should replace it.

Good luck.

I've already filed a claim. It was about a $1700 mattress, so not as much as a Latex will be. Its some kind of natural hybrid, IIRC, which I no longer recommend!

Maybe I'll try the brick idea while I'm away next week.

khm
02-14-2013, 06:43 PM
A friend had a latex that got body impressions after two years. HER friend, whom she recommended latex to earlier, also got body impressions after two-ish years. Neither measured deep enough to qualify. It was some crazy amount, like three inches I want to say. Super ridiculous. She was just sick about her own bed (it was $$$$), and that she recommended it to her friend who suffered the same fate.

BayGirl2
02-15-2013, 12:54 AM
A friend had a latex that got body impressions after two years. HER friend, whom she recommended latex to earlier, also got body impressions after two-ish years. Neither measured deep enough to qualify. It was some crazy amount, like three inches I want to say. Super ridiculous. She was just sick about her own bed (it was $$$$), and that she recommended it to her friend who suffered the same fate.

Ahhhh! Now I'm scared of getting a latex mattress too. I thought that was a safer bet. On the one site I found that seemed to have decent user review data latex had fewer complaints.

Why is it so hard to get a decent mattress these days?

crl
02-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Ahhhh! Now I'm scared of getting a latex mattress too. I thought that was a safer bet. On the one site I found that seemed to have decent user review data latex had fewer complaints.

Our IKEA latex mattress is still super comfortable 5 years later. No dents. Dh weighs over 200 pounds. And it was cheap to start with! I suggest taking at look.

Catherine

Tondi G
02-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Our IKEA latex mattress is still super comfortable 5 years later. No dents. Dh weighs over 200 pounds. And it was cheap to start with! I suggest taking at look.

Catherine

which latex mattress was it?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30188468/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80139970/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00206906/

crl
02-15-2013, 01:14 AM
which latex mattress was it?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30188468/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80139970/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00206906/

I honestly don't know and the line up may have changed. What I remember is that we got the cheaper one because it was thin enough to come rolled up so we could fit it in our SUV and take it home with us. Sorry.

Catherine

khm
02-15-2013, 01:29 AM

I know! I researched it briefly, and it did NOT seem to be a common complaint, if that makes you feel better. :( The couple I know, they are both very tall, but slender. They have the california king. I don't know the brand. Stick with a company with good reviews, I guess. Sorry, I didn't mean to throw a wrench into your plans. Mattress shopping does suck. I did see some brands that were layered in such a way that you could easily replace just the top layer. Have you seen any like that? I didn't bookmark anything....

We are sort of in the market, the problem is I don't like memory foam, latex or anything like it, but my husband wants to try due to his bad back. But, they feel so claustrophobic to me (one review said "it feels like it is sucking my soul" and that is exactly what I feel like!). I just can't get on board. I'm not sure what we'll end up doing! Ugh.

There's a commercial on now about how you NEED to replace your mattress at 8 years. And, ours is definitely older than 8 years!

calebsmama03
02-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Nope. Wasn't deep enough. It's kind of like carpet warranties - they give you a "warranty" but the standards are so tight that even a clearly defective product stands little chance of being replaced.

Mali
02-15-2013, 01:51 AM
Not sure where you're at in the Bay Area, but you might want to check out European Sleepworks in Berkeley if your warranty claim gets rejected.

My BIL and SIL bought a mattress from them and recommended them to us. We had our queen from ES for 6 years with no problems and actually just moved it to our guest room because we bought a king from them for our room. My MIL and FIL also bought a mattress from them and still love it several years later. They aren't cheap, but I they have been well worth it to us.

BayGirl2
02-15-2013, 10:41 AM
I know! I researched it briefly, and it did NOT seem to be a common complaint, if that makes you feel better. :( The couple I know, they are both very tall, but slender. They have the california king. I don't know the brand. Stick with a company with good reviews, I guess. Sorry, I didn't mean to throw a wrench into your plans. Mattress shopping does suck. I did see some brands that were layered in such a way that you could easily replace just the top layer. Have you seen any like that? I didn't bookmark anything....

We are sort of in the market, the problem is I don't like memory foam, latex or anything like it, but my husband wants to try due to his bad back. But, they feel so claustrophobic to me (one review said "it feels like it is sucking my soul" and that is exactly what I feel like!). I just can't get on board. I'm not sure what we'll end up doing! Ugh.

There's a commercial on now about how you NEED to replace your mattress at 8 years. And, ours is definitely older than 8 years!

That's ok. This whole process (and sleeping in general) has me frustrated. And exhausted.

We're considering a SavvyRest. They are real latex and you can layer them. You can also get different firmness on either side, so you could have a totally different feel from your DH. We tried them out in a local store and know what we want. They are expensive, but only like $1000 more than this stupid Natural Hybrid that failed after 3 years so it seems worth it.

BayGirl2
03-05-2013, 12:26 AM
The mattress inspection guy was here today for our warranty calim. He spent a few minutes measuring, taking pictures, flipping things around. Then we talked mattresses for about an hour. He's been in the biz 14 years and had a lot to say. Thought I'd share it here since many seem to have body impression issues.

Turns out standard for warranty is for the bed frame to have 5 slats and a center leg for Queen or larger. Ours only has 4 and no leg. I bought this bed from Crate and Barrel 15 years ago and it was not cheap, solid maple, nice. So according to him from the day we brought the mattress home we were only getting maybe 75% efficiency from it, and now probably 65%. A quick fix would be adding a 2x2 slat with a leg that is long enough to sink into the carpet. I've never heard the thing about the center leg, this was news and maybe (?) could have saved my last 2 mattresses.

Our drop was about 1” on the mattress and ½” on the box spring, the leg would eliminate the box spring drop. I believe the warranty threshold is 1 ½” so we probably won’t qualify. It feels like a big hole to me, but apparently its within the range of normal.

He also said all newer mattresses are supposed to conform to the body over time and therefore will show body impressions. That’s why the threshold is so high. Memory foam is slightly less but it will still have impressions, Latex has the same threshold as our current (hybrid) mattress does. Apparently its now impossible to find a mattress that doesn't look different over time, they all conform within the first 30 days. About 15 years ago they added the "innovation" of additional cushioning on top to conform to the body. I asked about all different types, and the situation of a person changing their sleep style frequently (ex. being pregnant, sleeping styles change many times within a few years.) Doesn't seem to be any way around this. Good support in the frame and box spring I guess will keep the impression consistent after the first 30 days.

Anyway, now I trust all mattresses even less. But some things to keep in mind when shopping for a new bed. We will probably add some center legs this weekend and see if that helps at all. I don't think we'll get the warranty claim approved. I really want the Savvy Rest Latex now but I think I upgraded my Disney vacation so if I want to keep that and pay off my B-school loans, I'll be sleeping uncomfortably for the rest of the year.

twowhat?
03-05-2013, 12:59 AM
Wow, and ugh.

Makes me think maybe the best option is to sleep on a Cord-a-Roy beanbag mattress. At least I know I can shake up the shredded foam inside to evenly redistribute it every few days. Sheesh.

California
03-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Hmmm... during our last move we first brought the mattress over and slept with it on the floor. OMG- what a difference. It felt like new! We couldn't believe it. We got such a better night's sleep. Crossing my fingers for you that extra support revives your mattress, too!

kozachka
03-05-2013, 01:14 AM
The mattress inspection guy was here today for our warranty calim. He spent a few minutes measuring, taking pictures, flipping things around. Then we talked mattresses for about an hour. He's been in the biz 14 years and had a lot to say. Thought I'd share it here since many seem to have body impression issues.

Turns out standard for warranty is for the bed frame to have 5 slats and a center leg for Queen or larger. Ours only has 4 and no leg. I bought this bed from Crate and Barrel 15 years ago and it was not cheap, solid maple, nice. So according to him from the day we brought the mattress home we were only getting maybe 75% efficiency from it, and now probably 65%. A quick fix would be adding a 2x2 slat with a leg that is long enough to sink into the carpet. I've never heard the thing about the center leg, this was news and maybe (?) could have saved my last 2 mattresses.

I've read this recommendation online, too. We got slats from Ikea after our new foam mattress developed indentations, and it made things better but nowhere as good as our old mattress circa '95. We were so happy when we got it out of storage! I guess I just don't like foam mattresses. I am going to probably buy a W mattress next time I am in the market for one, at least I know how they feel.

bisous
03-05-2013, 01:30 AM
Why on earth would new mattresses conform? That overwhelmingly sounds like the problem so many posters have with their mattresses?

After reading through the multiple uncomfortable mattress stories on here I am more and more grateful for my now TWELVE year old super cheap mattress that is still comfortable. I feel like on some level I should get rid of it but as it is still comfortable I'm so afraid!

I hope adding slats and legs revives your mattress so you can sleep comfortably. I'm sorry that they may not honor their warranty. It really does seem like those warranties are worthless.

LizLemon
03-05-2013, 03:00 AM
Thanks for posting the updates. We have a mattress that we really like, and a bed frame that is on its last legs. We have really felt the quality of the mattress worsen as the frame gets more wobbly - particularly with the center leg going out, which is the particular problem we are having in our bed. However, when we can rig up a solution so the center leg is temporarily supported, the mattress feels as good as new again. It does seem like that center leg is important, particularly with a larger bed. We have a new bed frame coming and I don't know if it has a center leg or not. I just assumed since it was overall higher quality and sturdier construction that it wouldn't need it -- So thank you for this important info! :)

KrisM
03-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Interesting information. I knew that there was a requirement on slats, but not a center foot. Does that mean right in the middle of the bed? Like supporting the middle slat?

minnie-zb
03-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Interesting information. I knew that there was a requirement on slats, but not a center foot. Does that mean right in the middle of the bed? Like supporting the middle slat?

Ours is in the middle of the bed under the center slat. I learned something new today -- I thought all queen beds came with this support. Good thing to know when looking at bed frames.

wendibird22
03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Great info. We have a queen bed frame so now I'll have to look at the set up.

When my now 15yo mattress started feeling uncomfortable a few years ago I bought a memory foam mattress topper from Walmart. Best $180 I've ever spent on my bed. DH and I both love it and my mom has slept in our bed while house/child sitting and she commented on how wonderful it is. I figure this will give us at least 5 or more years more life out of our mattress (we've had it 2yr now I think). The 4lb density is key. That's very supportive. I believe that tempurpedic is 5lb, which is the highest and egg crate type foam is only 1lb. The higher the density the more supportive and less sinking you get.

We have this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Aerus-Natural-Memory-Foam-Topper-w-300TC-Sateen-Cover/11030693

I'm serious when I say that at least once a week as I crawl into bed I think about how comfortable this topper is.

TwoBees
03-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Wow. Interesting. Thanks for posting that info. I guess there is something to be said for using a futon mattress on the floor, huh?

I need to go home and check my bed now. I know we have a center leg, but I don't know how many slats we have.

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2013, 09:48 AM
When our mattress was sagging, I thoroughly read our warranty and saw that we were supposed to have changed box spring/foundation every 3 years. I don't imagine that most people do that in reality. Rotating the foundation actually super improved the mattress, fwiw.

ShanaMama
03-05-2013, 09:54 AM
I missed this tread the first time around but I actually had a mattress successfully replaced under warranty. Did he tell you that you don't qualify for the 1" indentation? I'm trying to remember exactly what ours was. I don't recall how deep but I'm pretty sure the 'adjuster' or whatever they're called was able to tell me that I was likely to qualify.
My mattress had been purchased at Macy's and the manufacturer was no longer in business. Macy's took care of the entire thing & honored the warranty, allowing me to choose another mattress (& box spring) for the equivalent amount of $. I was completely floored by their superior customer service. I'm pretty sure I posted about it here.

almostmom
03-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Oh my gosh, we love our european sleepworks mattress. We moved with it from San Fran, and have had it for maybe 13 years? Still the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on. And we got a floor model. Guess we got lucky.

BayGirl2
03-05-2013, 01:38 PM
I missed this tread the first time around but I actually had a mattress successfully replaced under warranty. Did he tell you that you don't qualify for the 1" indentation? I'm trying to remember exactly what ours was. I don't recall how deep but I'm pretty sure the 'adjuster' or whatever they're called was able to tell me that I was likely to qualify.
My mattress had been purchased at Macy's and the manufacturer was no longer in business. Macy's took care of the entire thing & honored the warranty, allowing me to choose another mattress (& box spring) for the equivalent amount of $. I was completely floored by their superior customer service. I'm pretty sure I posted about it here.

The inspector couldn't tell us anything about whether we would qualify or not. He could offer general feedback but say nothing about the warranty or mattress. We bought from Mancini's which is a chain around here.

Oh my gosh, we love our european sleepworks mattress. We moved with it from San Fran, and have had it for maybe 13 years? Still the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on. And we got a floor model. Guess we got lucky.
I hear a lot of good things about that store.

As I tossed and turned for 4 hours last night this really started to piss me off even more. I've been mattress shopping 3 times in the last 10 years and no one ever mentioned anything about bed frame requirements. I recall reading the care info to make sure I rotated enough, etc. If there is a requirement that will cause an item to fail in 1/4 the time, I expect it to communicated really clearly up front. Instead now I have a 10 year warranty mattress that's failing after 2.5 years, and could maybe have been prevented with a $5 fix. I am pissed! And I won't be buying from the local mattress chains again, I'm just done with it.

DH is going to add some feet this weekend. Ikea has adjustable feet in the kitchen department, we'll probably just add one under each slat. I may try a gel mattress topper from Costco too.

BayGirl2
03-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Another update: DH spent $10 on a few pieces 2x2's and added 2 new slats with feet over the weekend. It made an AMAZING difference in the feel of the mattress. There's support again because the box spring is better supported. I still feel small body impressions on my side but its nothing like before. We both comment every night how much better it is now.

It really pisses me off because I've been through 3 mattress sets in 15 years and maybe could have kept the last one longer. Never mind the number of miserable nights I've had during that time. This was not a cheap bed, again it was from Crate and Barrel back when they had high quality. I feel like this center leg thing should be advertised as a PSA to all bed and mattress buyers! It may be my new evangelical mission, along with ERF for carseats and safe baby wearing. :cheerleader1:

So for all of you with mattress issues please check for that center leg and add one if needed!

twowhat?
03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Another update: DH spent $10 on a few pieces 2x2's and added 2 new slats with feet over the weekend. It made an AMAZING difference in the feel of the mattress. There's support again because the box spring is better supported. I still feel small body impressions on my side but its nothing like before. We both comment every night how much better it is now.

It really pisses me off because I've been through 3 mattress sets in 15 years and maybe could have kept the last one longer. Never mind the number of miserable nights I've had during that time. This was not a cheap bed, again it was from Crate and Barrel back when they had high quality. I feel like this center leg thing should be advertised as a PSA to all bed and mattress buyers! It may be my new evangelical mission, along with ERF for carseats and safe baby wearing. :cheerleader1:

So for all of you with mattress issues please check for that center leg and add one if needed!

Wow. Definitely will check. Our king mattress is on a regular no-frills metal frame with wheels (we don't have a real bed)...I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't enough support in the middle...thanks for updating...

joonbug
03-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Wow, interesting.. We have a king size bed, almost 7 years old with a thin firm mattress, pretty comfortable. But the platform frame has plenty of slats, probably between 10-15 or so and three leg supports right in the middle (head of bed, middle and foot).

div_0305
03-13-2013, 06:21 PM
have not read all the replies, but posting to say we LOVE:heartbeat: our latex mattresses!!! I can't begin to tell you what difference it has made in my life. Even the kids have latex mattresses. If I had the time to type everything i :heartbeat: about mine, I'd sound like some crazy infomercial. Seriously! We bought 100% natural talalay latex mattresses--top of the line, organic cotton and wool covers. PM if you need suggestions.

indigo99
03-14-2013, 11:26 AM
My king-sized iron bed from claudiorayes (http://www.claudiorayes.com/) has the most ridiculous frame you've ever seen. That thing is so heavy-duty, and it touches the floor in 13 places. My old queen bed rails were bent by the weight of the mattress, but I think this thing could really be around longer than me. I do think it makes a big difference in the overall stability too.