PDA

View Full Version : what could this be? (behavioral)

Globetrotter
02-14-2013, 05:04 PM
DD has a friend who struggles with behavior issues. I have posted about her in the past when it affected us. At one point, she was bullying the other girls in their group, but I talked to the mom (boy that was tough, but I have seen positive changes since then). Since KG, the teachers have pointed out her behavior, but she still has a variety of behaviors that don't seem appropriate for a teenager.

When she was little, on more than one occasion, STRANGERS have come up to the mom at parties and complained that her kid was bossing around others. I know because I was there so who knows what else went on.

She is a bright child and great with mechanical problems and building, but she doesn't do well in team situations. It's her way or the highway, and she will argue with others and mope if things don't go her way. her mom sort of encourages her "leadership" skills, thinking she has great leadership qualities. I think she probably would if she was kept in check, but her enthusiasm to run the show and unwillingness to listen make her a terrible leader, IMHO. unfortunately, the mom is in charge of many joint activities (GS). I have encouraged dd to speak up against her if needed, and she does, but i think they have just decided that's how she is. IN a way, I suppose it's good real world training ;)

She struggles with math, but I do realize that math doesn't come easily to everyone. I think she does work hard, and she does set goals and is driven when it's important to her, which is a great trait. I think academics doesn't come AS easily for her as her high-achieving peers, although she is bright.

She has a habit of coming into a house and touching things/breaking things, even after you tell her not to. I mean, it was okay when she was six, but 13?? really? DD told me the other day, "Next time she comes over I will have to put away my markers." why? she was writing on her dry erase board and made a mark on the wall. We had just painted it but had to touch up that area. She always plays with things even if dd or I say not to, so this is not a one time thing.

The other day we were in a classroom doing volunteer work and she would not stop writing on the board, even after several warnings that it was past time to leave. My friend was the chaperone that time and got very flustered with her. I think she is obsessed with markers and dry erase boards as she spends every possible minute using them. In this project, the girls take turns leading but this kid will do her own thing, give answers to her group, talk out of turn, try to take over.. it's a job to keep her in line, and my timid dd is not good at it.

The kid gets into school detention for not listening, talking in class, fidgeting.

*I* personally feel she has some issues and have said this before, but now that she is older and it's still going on, I have to wonder. could it be something like ADHD?? I know that is overdiagnosed so I hesitate to say that, but it does come to mind. It is hard because we have to deal with her a lot due to joint activities. I have curtailed it where possible, but we are in GS together and my dd just loves the troop and has no desire to move to another one (And honestly, another troop may be worse for other reasons - a bunch of girls together=drama). The other friend who supervised the classroom sent out a lengthy email saying that everyone has to learn how to LEAD when it's their turn and FOLLOW when it's not, both equally important skills. The mom did not get the hint and goes on about how everything is working out great.

Kid behaves much better when the mom is there, something I pointed out before but it had to be said. Perhaps she has forgotten.

The girls get along pretty well now (outside of these formal group activities) and this is NOT a bad kid, which is why I want to give her a chance. They stand up for each other and do care about each other. I feel like she is struggling with some impulse control issues and also just is a bossy person on top of that. I don't know if the teachers have pointed it out - it's quite possible that parents are in denial if that is the case. I feel sad for her because she has lost friends because of it - the only reason we stayed on is because we are in so many things together and the moms get along very well socially. I also know her dad is quite something, hard to live with, and i think mom has OCD issues. I'm wondering how I can direct the child when i am in charge.

egoldber
02-14-2013, 05:20 PM
You described my ILs to a certain extent. If there is something to touch, they MUST touch it. DH's whole family is like this and it drives me nuts. MIL once broke an expensive vase in a store because she couldn't resist touching it and picking it up. She was SIXTY! :rotflmao:

It could definitely be something like mild ADHD or anxiety. Both can manifest fidgeting behaviors. The controlling of the activities and the bossiness would make me lean more toward anxiety. Could be a combination though. But a lot of kids are not neurotypical but not really severe enough to be diagnosed with any specific thing.

crl
02-14-2013, 05:29 PM
It could definitely be something like mild ADHD or anxiety. Both can manifest fidgeting behaviors. The controlling of the activities and the bossiness would make me lean more toward anxiety. Could be a combination though. But a lot of kids are not neurotypical but not really severe enough to be diagnosed with any specific thing.

:yeahthat: Or she could be kind of on the autism spectrum, but not far enough to diagnose. Some of what you describe; the social skill issues, and the insistence on having things her way, and the perserveration on the chalk and markers; could be spectrum.

But mostly I agree with Beth that there are people who just aren't neurotypical. My ds is one of them, though he doesn't have any of the particular traits you are describing.

Catherine

sariana
02-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a textbook case of Asperger's to me, but I think maybe that is over diagnosed too.

Globetrotter
02-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks. I hadn't even considered she was on the spectrum! I suppose anything is possible. Anxiety is possible.

The mom has MAJOR control issues - omg, I have posted about this numerous times. Her dad is a character. DD is like an unrefined version of her mom and dad combined (well, dad is still unrefined) - I guess the mom does it in a more polite manner but she, too, cannot handle it when things don't go her way or the scrapbook page isn't laid out perfectly or sometime challenges her. She will just pretend she never heard you and do it her way. Which makes me wonder if it's also just a weird personality quirk, but I still tend to think there is something beyond it.

sariana
02-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Yes it does tend to run in families. Poor DS seems to have inherited the most challenging traits from DH and me. I sometimes look at him and think "That's his dad" and other times it's "He gets that from me."

DietCokeLover
02-15-2013, 06:09 PM
My first thought was a form/ degree of Aspberger's.

sariana
02-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Somehow I completely missed your last sentence before. How can you direct her? It may take some trial and error, but some things to try:

-plenty of warning that an activity is about to change: "In 5 minutes we will be putting away the markers. All markers away in 5 minutes." Then again at 2 minutes, a minute, etc. it is tedious, but if she is on the spectrum, she may have trouble with transitions (and time management/awareness).

-visual cues: Perhaps work out with her a hand signal to let her know when she needs to STOP or speak more respectfully or whatever you want to work on. At her age it can be very simple, but it needs to be consistent.

-tactile cues: Establish a system in which only the person holding a particular object "has the floor" i.e. the right to speak. This can help to designate leadership and also reinforces taking turns. You can combine it with a timer if there is a concern about someone refusing to relinquish the object.

-clear rules: If she is on he spectrum, she may be very rule-conscious. The problem is that Aspies tend to create their own rules and then expect others to adhere to them. Pre-empt that by codifying rules for the group, including what they are allowed to touch in other people's homes. Let the girls come up with them together, and write them down. Even in non-GS events, you can refer to those rules with this girl and it gives her a framework in which to work.

She may not be on the spectrum at all, but if she is, some of the above might help. Even if not, these things won't hurt anyone. So if they don't work, you simply can stop doing them.

Globetrotter
02-15-2013, 06:22 PM
When the kid (L) was younger, she was so mean that a mutual friend called her a sociopath, lacking empathy for others! Her very mellow, easy to get along with kid said she didn't want to spend time with L because she was so hurtful - she used to treat my dd the same way and take her for granted, but that has improved significantly as they've gotten older. I disagree about the sociopath thing, and she's only a kid and has improved, but I find she does MUCH better with animals than humans!

Globetrotter
02-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Somehow I completely missed your last sentence before. How can you direct her? It may take some trial and error, but some things to try:

Wow, Sariana, those were some GREAT suggestions for a team activity, even if she isn't anywhere on the spectrum! I'm passing them on to the other coleaders.

sariana
02-15-2013, 06:26 PM
The more info you provide, the more I think Asperger's. :) They make good engineers because they like details but don't understand people so well. I imagine they make good veterinarians too.

Globetrotter
02-15-2013, 06:38 PM
I looked up the symptoms of asp. vs adhd and I feel she has MANY of the adhd symptoms and a few of the asp (or maybe she's just inherited her dad's abrasiveness). I guess we will probably never know as I am sure as heck not going to bring it up with the mom, so all we can do is learn how to deal with her!

sophiesmom03
02-15-2013, 07:38 PM
She sounds like an interesting kid! Excels at building but struggles with math - applied math / engineering may be a great future for her!

I agree with others there may be a missed diagnosis somewhere. Not being licensed and not knowing her I could not say where. Do you know if she has an IEP or 504? Would you be comfortable approaching her mom?

IMO gs is a really good place for her as group decision making is so important. But that will depend greatly on the skill/expertise/instinct of the leaders to guide her toward that goal.

Globetrotter
02-15-2013, 08:01 PM
duplicate

Globetrotter
02-15-2013, 08:02 PM
I am fairly sure she doesn't have any IEP, but the teachers have to give her special attention to keep her on track and attentive. In sixth, she used to go and help out the little kids.
I do wonder if the teachers in our school recognize some issues and have tried to point it out to the mom, but that whole family operates in full on denial mode. OR perhaps the parents are trying to address it (not too well) but too ashamed to talk about it, which would be sad. I wouldn't feel comfortable talking about it unless she brought it up. Heck, over the years I have given a lot of hints and even directly told her stuff when it affected us.

I think it's a shame she struggles with math because she would be an amazing mechanical engineer. I didn't think it was possible to get into engineering without being a math whiz.

the problem is that all her activities except sports are led by her mom or a friend's mom, so it gets very awkward to give feedback. mom is GS leader. I think it will do her a WORLD of good to go to a different school from our girls and interact with other folks.

The mom talks a lot about how well behaved OUR kids are and aren't we lucky our kids aren't like that, as if she needs reassurance about something.