PDA

View Full Version : How to heal crack between toes?

arivecchi
02-14-2013, 10:39 PM
My 4 year old has cracked skin next to his little toe. It's a wide crack. How do I help it heal? He's not complaining but it looks gross and I don't want it to get infected.

alexsmommy
02-14-2013, 10:54 PM
I mixed Aquaphor and Neosporin and slathered it between DS's toes and then snuck in and put a sock on that foot at bedtime after he was asleep (he's his mama's kid, hates sleeping in socks in spite of cold feet). It healed pretty quickly.

rin
02-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Is it a cut, from something he stepped on, or is it just a random crack? Cracking feet in the wintertime (when he's presumably wearing socks & shoes so it's no dryness) can be a sign of fungal infection. There are a zillion athlete's foot products, although I don't know whether they're recommended for children.

speo
02-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Do you think it could be athlete's foot? I got it in middle school and I had itchy cracks between my little and fourth toes. If so, I would get an over the counter antifungal.

If it is not, I would probably put neosporin on it and then a bandaid. I would then add neosporin once or twice per day for a couple of days. I would make sure he wore socks.

Sillygirl
02-14-2013, 11:06 PM
My DS had thick dry skin on his heels this winter and got a heel crack. I slathered it in Lanisoh, it was the only lotion that worked. Spread it on thick and put a sock on over it.

pinkmomagain
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
It could be athlete's foot.

Make sure you dry between his toes well after baths/showers.

arivecchi
02-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Just talked to the nurse at the ped's office and she suggested triple antibiotic ointment and cotton socks for a couple of days. She also said he should not sleep in footed sleepers as they are notorious for causing this. I guess I'll take him in on Monday if it does not look better by then.

Thanks for the replies. I did the use the ointment last night with a cotton sock and have asked DH to keep it up today.

niccig
02-15-2013, 01:15 PM
It could be athlete's foot.

Make sure you dry between his toes well after baths/showers.

:yeahthat: This is me if I don't dry well.

DS has had athlete's foot with peeling skin between toes, but no cracks. I've used athlete's foot on Dr's. recommendation and it clears up quickly.