PDA

View Full Version : Peanut allergy moms - shelf stable treats?

jgenie
02-15-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm looking for ideas of what to buy for DS2 to have at school for parties and such. What do you keep on hand at school for your DC? TIA

crl
02-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Ds's allergy was milk so I do not have any personal suggestions. A mom with a peanut allergic son told me the packaged rice krispie treats were peanut safe. Obviously you should check, but I thought it might be a possibility.

Catherine

KpbS
02-15-2013, 01:45 AM
We've done shelf stable jello (you could do pudding too if not milk allergic) for years. DS1 enjoys his treat and the teachers let me know when they are running low. I hated the idea of him not being able to have something for all of the unannounced special snack/treat days that happen.

azzeps
02-15-2013, 01:50 AM
My daughter is allergic to eggs and also peanuts. I left a box of the packaged rice krispie treats at school for her. I think they have milk, but no eggs or nuts. Also, what about Annie's fruit snacks? I guess it depends on what your child views as a "treat" but we put those in a bag last year for her to choose from when people brought things with eggs. What about chocolate chip granola bars? I am not sure how sensitive your child is - if it has to be only things that are processed in nut free places? Hope that helps with some ideas!

MSWR0319
02-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Rice krispie treats, fruit snacks (not Welch's or Brachs), most oreos are safe but you need to check, jello, pudding,

if you allow her to eat products produced in a facility that contains nuts as pp asked, your options are pretty endless. the ones I listed are not made in facilities with nuts.

daisymommy
02-15-2013, 09:24 AM
I have seen several treats at Costco, one of them in the bakery section in little boxes, that are clearly labeled as being peanut free and from a peanut free factory. I remember making a mental note in case I needed to bring in school snacks.

Sent from my iPad

newmomto1
02-15-2013, 10:58 PM
DD is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts.
Oreos are my go to treat for her.
I always make sure she has a stash in her classroom and at camp.

ahisma
02-15-2013, 11:29 PM
These look cute: http://www.dickandjanebakingco.com

It looks like a newish company, but you can order them. One of the founders has a nut allergy.

mc13duke
02-17-2013, 12:41 AM
How about Enjoy Life Foods cookies or Dr. Lucy's cookies? They are allergy-friendly brands. I wrote about them here:

http://www.plateitsafe.com/blog/allergy-friendly-cookies/

Also, Cybele Pascal is coming out with a new line of cookies that are delicious. They are also free of the top 8 allergens (including peanuts) and made in a dedicated allergy-friendly facility.

Hope this helps!

ShanaMama
02-17-2013, 03:06 AM
Candy!
Because that was too short to post I'll add this: DDs teacher was recently confirming for me that DD doesn't feel at all deprived because of her allergies. As the teacher said, if dd can't have a wafer so she gets a Laffy Taffy I stead, therest of the class is wishing they were allergic too!

Kindra178
02-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Enjoy Life Brand.