PDA

View Full Version : Anthropologie quality?

crl
02-15-2013, 01:47 AM
I would like to buy a nicer knit shirt/t-shirt or two this Spring. But I'd really like for them to hold up fairly well if I'm going to spend more than usual on them. What's your experience with Anthropologie quality? Are their clothes different brands? So the quality varies?

Thanks!
Catherine

citymama
02-15-2013, 02:37 AM
Many different brands, so the quality varies. I've liked the pants/jeans I've gotten there almost across the board. But I've found almost every kind of sweater there to be itchy and somewhat cheap feeling, fabric wise - it has felt like the extra money you spent there was going towards the added style rather than quality. Some of their tops are cute and I there a couple I wish I had gotten at full price because they never went on sale and eventually sold out. But they were not priced at $100 because they were fantastically made cotton tees but because of the whimsical style - so could well have faded or worn as quickly as a much cheaper tee. I have a raw silk skirt from there I got a decade ago that is still really stylish and in perfect shape. One of those YMMV. I do generally wait till their stuff goes on sale, but as I said above, you never know if your particular items will be available then.

crl
02-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Many different brands, so the quality varies. I've liked the pants/jeans I've gotten there almost across the board. But I've found almost every kind of sweater there to be itchy and somewhat cheap feeling, fabric wise - it has felt like the extra money you spent there was going towards the added style rather than quality. Some of their tops are cute and I there a couple I wish I had gotten at full price because they never went on sale and eventually sold out. But they were not priced at $100 because they were fantastically made cotton tees but because of the whimsical style - so could well have faded or worn as quickly as a much cheaper tee. I have a raw silk skirt from there I got a decade ago that is still really stylish and in perfect shape. One of those YMMV. I do generally wait till their stuff goes on sale, but as I said above, you never know if your particular items will be available then.

Okay. Thanks! These are cute but not $65 cute if they are just going to the rag bin in a year. Maybe they will go on sale.

Catherine

westwoodmom04
02-15-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm a big Anthropologie fan, but since they carry a variety of brands, you really need to try things on and see them in person. When they have sales, they are pretty good. However, a lot of stuff sells out before going on sale, must have something to do with their inventory management. I have not had any issues with their quality but alot of the stuff is dry clean only or handwash. I have had pieces I bought there that are five or ten years old but still in the rotation because their style is IMO uniuqe. That said, I've never bought pieces for work there, mostly everyday stuff or going out stuff.

lovin2shop
02-15-2013, 02:11 PM
I really like Antro clothing, but I agree that quality is hit or miss. They have a lot of thin, gauzy styles that can easily snag and show their wear after awhile. They also carry a lot of raw edge styles that also can look worn quickly. But, they also carry thick, higher quality fabrics as well, depending on the brand. IMO, I think you can tell which pieces will hold up and which will be short lived. Therefore, I tend to shop in person there much more than other stores.

crl
02-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks all. In person shopping just doesn't work out very often for me. Appreciate the feedback.

Catherine

gatorsmom
02-15-2013, 11:48 PM
I have a lot of anthro stuff and quality varies even in the different labels. For example, I have a Weston wear shirt that I love and has held up beautifully but another that feels cheap. I have several Sparrow sweaters that are very substantial and luxurious feeling and one that has not held up well at all. I can say that every Leifdottir piece I have is very well tailored and of good quality but that line is one of the more expensive ones Anthro carries. The shoes are hit or miss too.

I live very far away from an Anthro store so I spend quite a bit on shipping things back and forth. It really is worth it to sign up for an Anthro card and get emails with notices of sales and free shipping periods. If you live close to a B&M store, it's worth trying stuff inshore since I really think there are extra colors and patterns that the stores carry that aren't available online.

AnnieW625
02-16-2013, 03:31 PM
I had yoga capris I bought from there in 2005 when I was newly pregnant with DD1. They lasted until last year. I bought two shirts last year for $15 and one needs to be seen because it has a small hole already!:shake:

goldenpig
02-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I agree, very hit or miss. I shopped there a ton in fall 2011 and found some great stuff, but I haven't been there in ages! I used to order online and return a lot...because they carry so many different brands, you really have to try it on to be sure because the fit is so varied. I'm not a big in-person shopper either...no time!

minnie-zb
02-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Check out everlane for t's. I just ordered a couple to try and I'm really pleased with the quality and fit. I got the v-neck t's.

https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-luxury-tees/products/womens-v-white