PDA

View Full Version : Quick q: how much Vitamin C for kids? Adults?

ShanaMama
02-15-2013, 10:18 AM
We have a cold & cough going around, so i want to bulk them up with the most they can take. It says on the bottle of vitamins to give one a day- 60 mg each. I think I remember that the maximum dose is a lot higher than that. And I will freely admit that these gummies are good & I'm popping them too!
So, how much can I give my kids? And how much can I take?
Thanks.

ShanaMama
02-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Bump. Now we all have bad colds so I want to stuff us with vitamins. Anybody know?
Thanks!

123LuckyMom
02-18-2013, 06:42 AM
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that you can't really overdose on vitamin C. What your body can't absorb will come out in urine. For the kids, you could get any vitamin c supplement designed for kids and follow package directions. I use Emergen-C packets in water when I suspect a cold may be coming on. It works well at warding off impending doom. I've never given it to DS, but I don't think it would harm him. Unfortunately, once the cold has arrived, I don't think vitamin c loading will help shorten it. I really hope you all feel better soon!

daisymommy
02-18-2013, 09:31 AM
I give my kids 500mg a day when sick, and as adults 1000mg a day. But you are better off taking half at a time, because whatever your body doesn't use from that dose it will excrete. But yes, you really cant OD on it. Well, you could maybe if you took the whole bottle.

Sent from my iPad

maestramommy
02-18-2013, 11:11 AM
We (adults and kids) usually take 500 mg a day along with whatever's in the multi. When someone is sick they take 1000mg a day. They break in half so they take it half dose at a time.