PDA

View Full Version : does anyone go to movies by themselves?

AnnieW625
02-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Well it is 5 pm and I am sitting here in a large comfy stadium chair with my feet up on the chair in front of me in the middle seat in the second to last row of the theater.......by myself! I have my own home popped popcorn and a bottle of water. Getting ready to enjoy my time alone. I was going to email some mom friends from DD1's class, but was just relaxing at home doing nothing (house cleaner came this AM), and we had a really late lunch at 2 pm so I figured dinner would be easy for DH so here I am :) I hope I enjoy my movie. :popc1:
-------------
The last time I went to a movie by myself without a group of friends or my DH or DD1 I was in college. I went and saw For the Love of the Game. DH doesn't like Kevin Costner movies and I was in San Diego and he wasn't there (he was DBF then) and despite being almost old enough to be my dad (heck I think I am about the same age as his wife!) I have always kind of liked Kevin Costner so a perfect reason to see a movie on my own.

I really want to see Safe Haven with Josh Duhamel (:heartbeat::popc1::loveeyes:) and Julianne Hough. I am about a 3rd of he way through the book and I could have it done by Sunday or Monday, heck tomorrow if I really tried.

I would feel like such a dope if I posted on Facebook that I want someone to go with me. All of my really close girlfriends don't live close to me so I was thinking I should just go alone. My mommy group has gotten kind of cliquey as well (a lot of the parents now send their kids to all of the same schools so they have gotten closer) so again I might feel like a dope if I posted I wanted someone to go and see the movie with me.

brittone2
02-15-2013, 12:33 PM
I have, mostly because I had an afternoon to myself and decided to go kind of impromptu. It was fun. I hadn't been to a movie in a theatre in years, sadly! I'm an introvert, so it doesn't really bother me, although if I had known in advance I might have asked a friend.

sunshine873
02-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Most definitely! It's the perfect activity to do by yourself...it's not like you're missing out on conversation or anything! Plus, you don't have to share your popcorn. ;)

egoldber
02-15-2013, 12:58 PM
I have before when I had a day off and the kids were in school. I went and saw Jane Eyre (DH hates the historical chick flicks ;) ) and it was lovely. :)

ged
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Since moving here, I've gone 2 or 3 times by myself. I enjoy it!

PZMommy
02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
I have. I also want to see Safe Haven, and my DH has no desire to go. So I will go by myself.

mommylamb
02-15-2013, 01:16 PM
I haven't in a long time, but I would if there was something I wanted to see and no one else around wanted to or could, and of course if I had the time, which is the big if. I rarely get a chance to go to the movies.

But, I think you should post it on FB. If someone on my FB feed posted something like that, it wouldn't seem desperate to me. It would seem confident.

maestramommy
02-15-2013, 01:19 PM
I did it a few times in college, when they showed movies on campus for a buck. It was great! Saw Last Tango in Paris, Arachniphobia, couple of others I never got around to seeing when they were regular theaters.

SnuggleBuggles
02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
I haven't in a long time, but I would if there was something I wanted to see and no one else around wanted to or could, and of course if I had the time, which is the big if. I rarely get a chance to go to the movies.

But, I think you should post it on FB. If someone on my FB feed posted something like that, it wouldn't seem desperate to me. It would seem confident.

:yeahthat:

vonfirmath
02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
I went to see Hobbit the second time for myself. I REALLY wanted to see it and my husband was willing to watch the kids so I could.

TwinFoxes
02-15-2013, 01:50 PM
I've gone by myself tons! Through all stages of my life. I love it. I also love going with people, but if the situation arises it doesn't cross my mind to not go alone. I get to see what I want, hog the arm rest, and eat all of the popcorn. :)

ETA: I think you should post on FB. My friends post things like that all of the time.

AustenFan
02-15-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm going to a movie by myself tonight! DH is out of town on a business trip this weekend, and I've been wanting to see Les Mis, and he has no interest, so I called up our sitter and asked her to come over. I also thought about asking around on facebook if anyone wants to come with me, but honestly, I don't really have friends out here who I just go do things with. I have other mom friends who'll meet up for play dates with our kids, but no one I'd go see a movie with. So I'm just going to buy myself popcorn and act cool.:)

queenmama
02-15-2013, 02:11 PM
I have gone by myself since I could drive myself! And I am very much a crowd-loving people person!

I never saw it as a big deal. Like a PP said, it's not like there's much time for visiting with a friend at a movie, so why not go and enjoy yourself? As a mom, especially, it's nice to take these moments as they come!

I do see friends posting on FB asking for movie or lunch or gym buddies. I doubt any of your friends would think anything of it, and you might find someone to go with you, if you'd prefer that!

Either way, go and soak up the Duhamel!

Lara

pb&j
02-15-2013, 02:18 PM
I love seeing movies by myself!!

I would def. post on FB though if you really want someone to go with you. Last time I posted something like that on FB, I ended up going out with 4 friends on the spur of the moment and we had a blast. It seemed like everyone was just waiting for an excuse to get out of the house!

lizzywednesday
02-15-2013, 02:29 PM
The last movie I went to alone was 'Finding Nemo' when it was originally released ... DH (then DBF) is not an animation person and I wasn't going to borrow someone's child.

I haven't made the time to go to the movies by myself since then!

My BFF goes to movies alone all the time, though. Nothing wrong with having a little "alone time" for yourself!

wellyes
02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Love solo movies - I usually go at a Sunday afternoon matinee while DS is napping, and DH hangs out with DD. I come home feeling relaxed and refreshed.

DietCokeLover
02-15-2013, 02:35 PM
I have never done it, but it's on my list of things to do. I was just talking with one of my clients about it and she went out that weekend and did it. Guess I need to get on the ball and give it a try.

MelissaTC
02-15-2013, 02:37 PM
The first time I did it, I was the only person in the theater. Some creepy people came in and out and it freaked me out. The last time was one of the Twilight movies so the theater was busy. It was fun. I think I might see Safe Haven this weekend alone.

lmh2402
02-15-2013, 03:04 PM
haven't done it in years, but only b/c of lack of time/opportunity

i used to LOVE going to the movies alone.

perhaps i'm strange, but i truly loved it.

boolady
02-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Going to the movies by myself is such an appealing thought right now. I've never done it, but it sounds wonderful.

BayGirl2
02-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Yep. Its often the only way I will get to see any movies at all.

almostmom
02-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Yup - love it! I mean, I might prefer going with a friend or DH, but it's a fun experience. DH and I sometimes switch off nights and see the same movie - I see it one night, he sees it the next, instead of getting a babysitter. It's nice to feel independent in that way, out on the town by oneself!

kaharris83
02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
I went to a Twilight movie alone. DH would have gone but we didn't have a sitter. I was a little self conscious but in the end it was great to go turn my mind off and enjoy all the popcorn alone. Go enjoy yourself!!

My grandma was Josh's first grade teacher. She's so insanely proud of him and always asking if we've seen his latest shows/movies. I don't think I've ever seen any of his work.

pastrygirl
02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
I used to go alone ALL THE TIME. I loved it! I can't stand when people talk to me during or right after a movie (still in the moment), so going alone was perfect for me. Now I'm used to constant distraction (hello, kids!) so I don't mind talking anymore, but I would relish being able to do ANYTHING alone, especially for two whole hours!

MamaMolly
02-15-2013, 03:56 PM
I used to think it was odd but since having kids it is such a luxury! I'd love to go more than I do.

citymama
02-15-2013, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't think twice to go to the movies by myself. I haven't in a while, but I would if I had any time to myself!

Globetrotter
02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
I haven't - I need someone with me LOL

I would send out an email to your friends - that's what I do if I want to see a movie!

KLD313
02-15-2013, 05:52 PM
I've gone many times by myself and I was never the only one alone in the theater. Go if you really want to see it, you don't need someone to go with you.

123LuckyMom
02-15-2013, 06:08 PM
I used to go alone sometimes when I was single, and I always felt a little self-conscious. Now I would JUMP at the chance!!! It would be great to get to see a movie now and then just by myself! I should get a sitter and do it!

Kindra178
02-15-2013, 06:47 PM
My dh does it whenever he has a day off (which is, sadly, almost never). He loves to go to the movie theater. I like movies but at home I tend to fall asleep and movies at the theater these days are a logistical nightmare.

Globetrotter
02-15-2013, 07:13 PM
BTW, if you're okay with it, you should do it!! No biggie. I admire my friends who are able to go on solo vacations (me? never!!) or to the movies alone, but I need people around me.

AnnieW625
02-18-2013, 09:06 PM
updated the OP:)

KLD313
02-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Good for you! I hope you like the movie.

Myira
02-19-2013, 12:25 AM
AnnieW, glad to see your update. And thanks to your post, I got inspired and went for a movie by myself this Sunday while DH babysat the kids. I saw a movie in a theater after ages really! I got to see my kind of movie since DH does not care for a romantic movie anyways!

123LuckyMom
02-19-2013, 08:26 AM
I hope you had a great time!!!

gatorsmom
02-19-2013, 09:35 AM
It sounds like you had a really nice time.

I've never gone alone. Mostly because I never think to do it. When I have some free time and need to gett out of the house, I usually to the library or shopping. :)

lmwbasye
02-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Glad you went! I have no issues going alone at all. In fact, I'm going to see the same movie on Saturday while the boys are at a gymnastics party This will be the first chance to be without them in months since I homeschool and DH is gone and I'm not passing up the opportunity to do exactly what I want with my time. :)

Pear
02-19-2013, 11:49 AM
It is the most common way I see movies. Occasionally I just tell Dh that I need a break and go see whatever movie is starting next. I'm an introvert and that time being still, entertained, and not having anyone interrupt me is a serious recharge for me