PDA

View Full Version : woman gives birth to 10 pounder after complaining of hernia

gcc2k
02-15-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm always amazed (and somewhat skeptical) when I hear of women who didn't know they were pregnant until they are literally giving birth. But this is a really sweet and miraculous story.

44-year-old gives birth to first baby after complaining of a hernia (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/02/15/woman-delivers-10-pound-baby-after-going-to-hospital-for-hernia/?test=latestnews)

georgiegirl
02-15-2013, 01:29 PM
I just don't understand how you couldn't know you were 9 months pregnant. But it sounds like the baby is quite a blessing for the couple.

Mommy2Abby
02-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Wow - that's crazy.

maestramommy
02-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Very sweet:heartbeat:

queenmama
02-15-2013, 02:18 PM
I hope people read the story before commenting... TBH, sometimes I don't bother, but this one is worth it! Married 24 years and thought they couldn't have kids... What a precious blessing. And she is healthy! That's the best part! Beautiful, too.

Lara

klwa
02-15-2013, 02:23 PM
I just don't understand how you couldn't know you were 9 months pregnant.

The wife of a man I work with was 8+ months pregnant before they knew. Early/mid-forties and was told years ago that she couldn't have children. All movement, etc., she put down as bad gas. Didn't start to show until a week after they found out. :) I believe she went in for her routine GYN appointment & mentioned the gas.

My mom was almost 4 1/2 months before they realized she was expecting my oldest brother, and under doctor's care. They couldn't find a heart beat & thought she had a tumor growing instead. The day before exploratory surgery, his heartbeat appeared.

KDsMommy
02-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Gave me chills! :heartbeat:

scrooks
02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
This story made me cry!

daisysmom
02-15-2013, 04:11 PM
What a wonderful story. I often wonder how people don't know too. But if your heart is closed (given up hope of ever having children), your mind can really play tricks on you I think. And I have several friends who only gained 15-20 lbs with their pregnancies (as opposed to my 65 lb gain) so I can see how they could not know too. And she had stomach tissue repair, etc. so who knows if there was scar tissue and other things that made her feel off in the mid region. What a wonderful surprise though!

rin
02-15-2013, 04:19 PM
That made me tear up! How amazing for them. What a wonderful blessing. I can't imagine how life-changing that would be . . . we were overwhelmed adapting to having our first, and we had had a full pregnancy to plan. I hope they have plenty of support.

I am just bewildered by stories of people who didn't know. Even if you don't gain much weight, there's a giant bump sticking out of you! And I can see mistaking early fetal movement for some kind of gastrointestinal thing, but end of the third trimester movements? It felt -- and looked -- like something was trying to claw its way out of my abdomen.

niccig
02-15-2013, 04:32 PM
I am just bewildered by stories of people who didn't know. Even if you don't gain much weight, there's a giant bump sticking out of you! And I can see mistaking early fetal movement for some kind of gastrointestinal thing, but end of the third trimester movements? It felt -- and looked -- like something was trying to claw its way out of my abdomen.

I have a friend that has several abdominal surgeries for cancer. She was pregnant, and was in 6 month at regular check-up when Dr. said she was having contractions. Full-on contractions and she couldn't feel it because of all the nerve damage during the surgeries. She was put in hospital for remainder of pregnancy to a) stop contractions and b) monitor if they started again as she couldn't feel them at all.

rin
02-15-2013, 04:59 PM
I have a friend that has several abdominal surgeries for cancer. She was pregnant, and was in 6 month at regular check-up when Dr. said she was having contractions. Full-on contractions and she couldn't feel it because of all the nerve damage during the surgeries. She was put in hospital for remainder of pregnancy to a) stop contractions and b) monitor if they started again as she couldn't feel them at all.

Wow, that must've been scary for her. I didn't realize nerve damage could prevent someone from feeling contractions, although that does actually make perfect sense. But the visible fetal movements? With both my pregnancies, by the end you could see them moving from across the room. Is this not universal?

tabegle
02-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Even if you don't gain much weight, there's a giant bump sticking out of you!

I was due 3 weeks ahead of a friend/coworker of mine. She was one that could have hidden her pregnancy the whole time. She's relatively trim, but has a really long torso. She never had a baby bump and felt jipped by people not only not wanting to rub her belly, but some people didn't believe she was pregnant.

JBaxter
02-15-2013, 05:11 PM
My mother delivered a baby in the ER from a very heavy woman who came in for a gall bladder attack. Her symptoms didn't add up. She asked if she could be pregnant she told her no she "went through the change" earlier in the year. About that time her water broke and mom delivered the baby before the doctor could get in the room.

Reading the story in the OP I can see how she wouldnt know with her surgeries and everything else she went through. Now I had a 10lber and no mistaking I was huge.

Multimama
02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I can see how she didn't know, but I think the hospital who gave her an abdominal CT scan without a pregnancy test should be facing some scrutiny. I've been to the ER for things much less likely to be caused by a pregnancy and been given pregnancy tests even though I swore up and down there was no way I could be pregnant (and I wasn't). They made a big mistake not doing one, especially before a procedure involving so much radiation.

citymama
02-15-2013, 05:32 PM
That brought tears to my eyes. Amazing story - and what a cutie!

My SIL was 5.5 months pregnant when she found out she was expecting. She too had been told she could never conceive so used no protection and did not read the signs. It can happen, but 9 months is pretty unusual!

niccig
02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
But the visible fetal movements? With both my pregnancies, by the end you could see them moving from across the room. Is this not universal?

I didn't have these. Friends have talked about how you could see feet and knuckles, I never did with DS. If you put your hand on my stomach you could feel him move, but it wasn't visible.

123LuckyMom
02-15-2013, 05:44 PM
What a heartwarming story!!! Thanks for posting!

Globetrotter
02-15-2013, 05:44 PM
What a blessing! I can see how it happened in this case since they gave up on having a child and she had previous abdominal surgeries.