PDA

View Full Version : Can't ferberize sick baby right???

Melaine
02-15-2013, 04:41 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

So...DS=horrible sleeper. Really bad. With all his issues, didn't feel I should do anything until now. But the girls are right next door to his room and DH suggested sending them out of town to stay with my parents while we do this. I am desperate! Girls are at grandparents. DS felt warm so I took his temp...99.6 under arm (so 100.6, yes?) Cannot believe this!!!!! We have been nothing but sick for 2 months straight.

It's out of the question to proceed, right? My parents can't keep them again for at least 3 weeks.

mommylamb
02-15-2013, 04:44 PM
I think that temp isn't too high. I say, give it a shot and see how it goes while you have the chance.

Good luck. Sleep training sucks.

mikala
02-15-2013, 04:46 PM
I'd wait. I'd feel horrible making a baby cry only to find out he has a painful ear infection or some other exceptional need for extra comfort.

Could you work on sleep routine and drowsy but awake while they are gone? If he falls asleep with a boob in his mouth work to separate that association, rub his back I the crib instead of rocking him to sleep, etc.

Hugs, hope he feels better soon and you all get some rest!

Melaine
02-15-2013, 04:55 PM
I'd wait. I'd feel horrible making a baby cry only to find out he has a painful ear infection or some other exceptional need for extra comfort.

Could you work on sleep routine and drowsy but awake while they are gone? If he falls asleep with a boob in his mouth work to separate that association, rub his back I the crib instead of rocking him to sleep, etc.

Hugs, hope he feels better soon and you all get some rest!

maybe so...have to make some kind of progress!

mikala
02-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Forgot to mention that I'd also gauge what to do based on how he's acting. If he's a ball of energy and is still eating well I would proceed. Low grade fevers are tricky stuff.

Philly Mom
02-15-2013, 04:58 PM
That doesn't seem really sick to me. I can run a temp like that after having a long day and I know DD can too. I would take a temp at the end of the day and reassess. I would also go more on how he is acting and less on what a number may say. At 101, I would not do it.

Melaine
02-15-2013, 05:05 PM
He is playing and actually very happy right now. We'll see how it goes. As if I wasn't already dreading this anyway....

123LuckyMom
02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
I'd give him a dose of ibuprofen before bedtime and go for it (if he's not acting sick, of course).

Seitvonzu
02-15-2013, 07:56 PM
i'd go for it. sleep is so important- it could help with the frequent sickness, right? hugs! it's hard, i'll be thinking of you.

edurnemk
02-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Any other symptoms? DD has been sick on and off since late December, and that's what's kept me from doing more formal sleep training, but she is congested at night, which wakes her up.

georgiegirl
02-15-2013, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't. Sometimes fevers can strike at night, and with a low grade temp, he might be crying because he doesn't feel well.

TxCat
02-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Nope, wait until well.

Multimama
02-15-2013, 08:28 PM
A baby's normal body temperature can be up to 100.3 so that barely sounds like a fever to me. Info from the trusty ;) Baby Center.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_fever_84.bc

kerridean
02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Go forward with the plan. The baby will be fine.

Green_Tea
02-15-2013, 09:13 PM
If he is acting happy and normal, I'd proceed as planned. 100.6 isn't a real temp in the absence of other symptoms, IMO.

Good luck! :hug:

okinawama
02-16-2013, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't. The entire time I'd be wondering if he was crying in pain or discomfort.

Seitvonzu
02-16-2013, 12:32 AM
what did you decide? how is it going? (i'm really hoping you are having a great night and getting some bonus time with DH :) :) :) )

Momit
02-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Soooo.... How's it going, OP?

Melaine
02-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys!!! Well....he definitely still has a fever although still low-grade. I've kept him on tylenol and once that kicks in he is in great spirits. But he is very stuffed up. It's only been 10 days since he was diagnosed with bronchialitis and I'm still using the nebulizer for him so I just didn't like the idea of crying it out. So I thought I would just try to get him in his crib all night. I was sooooo sleepy though from the night before that I went to bed when he did at 8. He woke up like 6 times between 8-11 and everytime I got up and went in there, and had to pick him up, sort of soothe him to sleep and then put him back in. He kept waking and I gave in at 11, and both of us got into the guest bed. So yeah, I gave in. I guess we will have to try again once he is better even if the girls are in the house. Then again, it could be weeks until he well at this rate. One the upside, it's really nice having some time with DH and we are relaxing a lot, the girls are having a great time at the grandparents and I have actually had a chance to do a few things that I wanted to do around the house. I am planning to clean out my closet this afternoon which would make me very happy!

Melaine
02-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Soooo.... How's it going, OP?

Was updating as you posted! :wink2:

Momit
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Was updating as you posted! :wink2:

Glad you are making the best of it, even if it hasn't turned out exactly like you planned. :)