PDA

View Full Version : Major buyer's remorse- thousands of dollars wasted.

gatorsmom
02-15-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm just sick. In the process of building this house, there have been so many decisions to make that some of them I've left to DH and the designer, who is well-known and reputable. When it came to the kitchen countertops choice, DH said we are going with Cambria because its indestructible. We've had granite and travertine countertops for the last 13 years and loved them for their durability and beauty. I didn't see the point of going with something different but DH and the designer said their really were the best choice so I picked a color and went with it. Today the installer who put in our cambria kitchen countertops was there putting the countertop in our master bathroom. He commented that our kitchen countertops were not heat proof. He showed me the brochure that shows sure-enough not heat proof. He said you have to use a trivet wherever you put a hot pot. This is not what I wanted. I am a terrible cook and need very functional kitchen features. Also, we have a very busy family of active kids and I guarantee that at some point someone is going to set a hot pot on that countertop. If I wanted something so fussy, I would have gone with laminate and saved myself a bunch of money! And the stupid rep was going on and on about how much better cambria is than granite. He said, you can't put raw chicken on a granite countertop because it's porous. But who actually puts raw chicken on a countertop? You put it on the surface you are going to cut on. And he argued that you can't put granite in a restaurant kitchen. Well, the last time I looked , I wasn't installing a restaurant kitchen!

In 13 years, we never had a case of salmonella poisoning or any serious food poisoning that made me regret the granite countertops. In 13 years I sealed it once and then never again. I loved the fact that it could take a beating and always look new. I loved the fact that it actually helped my medieval cooking abilities by allowing me to put a hot pot down in a hurry to save another dish from burning. I guess I better get my act together now. No more relaxing in the kitchen! I better have trivets positioned all over the place!

I know I'm being dramatic but it's been a really difficult day and I was really hoping the countertops would be one of the things I could really be in love with. It seems there are so many little flaws in that house that I have to live with. Most of those are just sconces that are positioned too high, towel rings installed too low (so that the towel hangs on the countertop), ceiling light fixtures that aren't centered perfectly, etc. I'm just bummed that I'm settling on this too. Oh well.

lhafer
02-15-2013, 11:52 PM
I'm just sick. In the process of building this house, there have been so many decisions to make that some of them I've left to DH and the designer, who is well-known and reputable. When it came to the kitchen countertops choice, DH said we are going with Cambria because its indestructible. We've had granite and travertine countertops for the last 13 years and loved them for their durability and beauty. I didn't see the point of going with something different but DH and the designer said their really were the best choice so I picked a color and went with it. Today the installer who put in our cambria kitchen countertops was there putting the countertop in our master bathroom. He commented that our kitchen countertops were not heat proof. He showed me the brochure that shows sure-enough not heat proof. He said you have to use a trivet wherever you put a hot pot. This is not what I wanted. I am a terrible cook and need very functional kitchen features. Also, we have a very busy family of active kids and I guarantee that at some point someone is going to set a hot pot on that countertop. If I wanted something so fussy, I would have gone with laminate and saved myself a bunch of money! And the stupid rep was going on and on about how much better cambria is than granite. He said, you can't put raw chicken on a granite countertop because it's porous. But who actually puts raw chicken on a countertop? You put it on the surface you are going to cut on. And he argued that you can't put granite in a restaurant kitchen. Well, the last time I looked , I wasn't installing a restaurant kitchen!

In 13 years, we never had a case of salmonella poisoning or any serious food poisoning that made me regret the granite countertops. In 13 years I sealed it once and then never again. I loved the fact that it could take a beating and always look new. I loved the fact that it actually helped my medieval cooking abilities by allowing me to put a hot pot down in a hurry to save another dish from burning. I guess I better get my act together now. No more relaxing in the kitchen! I better have trivets positioned all over the place!

I know I'm being dramatic but it's been a really difficult day and I was really hoping the countertops would be one of the things I could really be in love with. It seems there are so many little flaws in that house that I have to live with. Most of those are just sconces that are positioned too high, towel rings installed too low (so that the towel hangs on the countertop), ceiling light fixtures that aren't centered perfectly, etc. I'm just bummed that I'm settling on this too. Oh well.

Ah, that sucks!

I have built 2 homes. I know this is the BP, but I have to ask...why are you settling for ANYTHING? Make them fix those little things! They don't have to live with it...you do. Make the builder redo it. And frankly I would go back to the counter people, and at least demand some sort of discount because if they said it was so durable, and it's really not...that's lying about their product.

When we built our current house, we used a "track home" builder, but were able to make some changes. We had them redo several things that they got wrong the first time.

I hope you get it worked out so you don't feel like you are settling. :hug:

ShayleighCarsensMom
02-16-2013, 12:38 AM
How stressful. Fwiw, we have silestone (another brand of quartz) and I set hot pots on it all the time. I won't set hot dishes from the oven on it, but pots yes and we've never had a problem.
I think the problem with the heat is that if there is an air bubble in the counter it could crack, which I believe granite is also the same way, no?
I'm sorry your stressed, I couldn't imagine having to get all these details straight while chasing the kiddos too!

Valerie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crl
02-16-2013, 12:59 AM
:hug: I agree for fixtures that are installed at the wrong height and such, they should fix them. I remember when my parents built their house my mom told me the electrician centered the kitchen light on the room instead of on where the table would be. She said, "only a man would do that!". And she made them fix it.

On the countertops, granite can crack under heat. It's not super common, but it does happen (I have seen the posts on the kitchen forum on Gardenweb). I think the quartz countertops are similar. Mostly they hold up to heat, but they can be damaged.

I am so sorry this is so stressful. I can't imagine making the bazillion decisions for a totally custom house.

Catherine

ahisma
02-16-2013, 01:27 AM
Did you specifically tell them where to install the towel bars, scones, etc? If not, definitely have them redo it! FIL was a project manager - I promise you that contractors have to fix that stuff all of the time.

I know nothing about countertops, but I get your frustration. I'm sorry:(

BabyBearsMom
02-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Sorry :(. I keep glass cutting boards that are heat treated right next to my stove for just this reason (we have laminate)

cmo
02-16-2013, 09:49 AM
FWIW, we've had Cambria in our kitchen for almost 10 years. I had no idea it wasn't heat proof and put pots, cookie sheets, and the like on it all the time, and no damage.

dogmom
02-16-2013, 11:18 AM
That sucks. I really think it's things like this that make me love my house flaws and all. It is so stressful making all these decisions in a new house, not know which one will be the thing that drives you crazy for 20 years.

As far as the bacteria/counter top thing. I think it is more of a selling point for sales people. Bacteria can live in anything. There are bacteria living from Antarctica to pools of water where spent nuclear reactor fuel rods were kept. So anyone that tells you their surface can't harbor bacteria is lying. And like you said, whose going to put raw chicken on a counter and not clean it?

khalloc
02-19-2013, 02:18 PM
I had Cambria in my old house. We knew it wasnt suggested to put hot pots on it. But I was also told that you should not do that to granite either since it could crack under heat. The only stone I can think of that I know its OK to do this on is soapstone.

But still, that sucks! Sorry!

janine
02-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Count me in with the others as one who did not know Cambria was not "heatproof". I would ask for more specifics on this - are they saying no hot pots occassinally, or are they just saying this as a precaution for liability. Like you said I can't imagine why it would be so successfully sold as a kitchen countertop if it can't withstand some heat and real life!

It does sound beautiful, but if you hate it, change it now!

gatorsmom
02-19-2013, 04:22 PM
It does sound beautiful, but if you hate it, change it now!

Too late! It is installed now. I didn't find out about the non-heat-resistant fact until a week after it was in. It is beautiful. But I'm really bummed that I have to be so careful with it. :(

janine
02-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Too late! It is installed now. I didn't find out about the non-heat-resistant fact until a week after it was in. It is beautiful. But I'm really bummed that I have to be so careful with it. :(

Maybe you can go tell the designer (or supplier, not sure who is the sales contact) this and they can do something for you. It does seem like a key piece of information to share if it is truly that unforgiving! I still think it's probably ok and can handle the odd hot item. And hey at least it's beautiful!! :).

ETA: When we renovated our home, I wanted marble for the kitchen counter but had to neg it since it just wasn't pratical. We did put a marble floor in the bathroom despite being told it was not durable, couldn't handle water (in a bathroom?). In the end we've had no problems and I haven't been nearly as diligent as I said I wold be when we decided on it!

YouAreTheFocus
02-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Ugh! I am annoyed for you. That would really tick me off as well. I would want something heat proof (and would somewhat assume that all new/modern solid surfaces would be).

I am one of those rare few that had my granite countertop crack. DH set a hot pot down on it and then we heard a huge POP sound. The counter split front to back, from the edging to the wall. Still makes me mad!

LizLemon
02-20-2013, 12:41 AM

It sounds like you are definitely having buyer's remorse. Hopefully with time, though, you will be able to appreciate your purchase! Having lived in houses with standard, not-so-nice countertops during college, med school, etc. I've never really had a "heat proof" countertop on which to put a pot. It's really not a big deal, though. The whole stove is potential real estate on which to put down a pot. And if you real are the "terrible cook" you are always claiming to be, I can't imagine you are using all 4 burners at once all that often. :p

You may with time appreciate the non-porous nature of the quartz with time. Our kitchen now has black walnut - extremely porous. I of course use a cutting board every single time, but I have never noticed how unruly chicken juices can be, even when you are using a big cutting board, until I had these ultra-porous countertops that are hard to clean! Every drip that falls off the cutting board or off the chicken as it's being moved here and there - such a production!

sste
02-20-2013, 10:20 AM
I also think you can put hot stuff on it - - maybe not out of a 450-500 oven but otherwise I think OK. I think the cambria folks are covering their butts to avoid problems by saying not to put hot pots/pans on it.

The hooks can be fixed. Have the builder/contractor fix it or if you are too stressed just have a handyman come out for a couple of hundred dollars.

I think you just have to mentally say to yourself there will be a certain, unavoidable, expected amount of things that won't be exactly as I envisioned. . . that is the nature of building.

wellyes
02-20-2013, 10:23 AM
It sounds like you are definitely having buyer's remorse. Hopefully with time, though, you will be able to appreciate your purchase! Having lived in houses with standard, not-so-nice countertops during college, med school, etc. I've never really had a "heat proof" countertop on which to put a pot. It's really not a big deal, though. The whole stove is potential real estate on which to put down a pot. And if you real are the "terrible cook" you are always claiming to be, I can't imagine you are using all 4 burners at once all that often. :p

I have to be honest, until I read this thread I had no idea that there were countertops you could put a hot from the stove pot on!

kaharris83
02-20-2013, 10:30 AM
:yeahthat: I didn't know that either.

mikala
02-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Yeah that.

Ditto PP, I've never had a counter I felt comfortable putting hot pans on. I just use empty burners or a wood trivet I keep in a cabinet next to the stove.

arivecchi
02-20-2013, 11:02 AM
I have to be honest, until I read this thread I had no idea that there were countertops you could put a hot from the stove pot on!
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

almostmom
02-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Oh, I hate buyers remorse on anything! It can totally eat away at you and just ruin all good feelings for awhile. But eventually, the weight of remorse will start to lift, and you will feel better. It sounds like it is actually more durable than you think, so do a little more research with people who actually have it. But until then, know you will feel better eventually, and it's probably a really nice countertop.

But so sorry you're feeling so bad. I've been there...