PDA

View Full Version : what does a 15 month old talk? and how much?

diamond
02-16-2013, 01:06 AM
what does a 15 month old talk? and how much? my 15 month old ds, does not talk much, but i remember my dd talking at that time. he does not call me mom either. but when he cries he clearly calls me mom and cries for me, he does not call me mom when he is happy or playing or running etc... is this normal? when should he speak? should i worry? he is constantly babbling away in abby language but not our language. he is very low on weight (another thread for weight gain in kid food section), does that affect talk? it may be a silly thought but just wondering? ty

Mommy_Mea
02-16-2013, 07:28 AM
It is a huge range, and 15 months is totally normal. DS1 didn't have his first word until 21 months, and had 50+ within a short while, stringing words by two years, and at 3.5 years, has a very advanced vocabulary. We did sign language with him, and he started using it around 10 months, and that really helped get us through with communication until he started speaking.

DS2 had words before 12 months, sentences shortly after that. So huge range, even with my two boys.

I think girls tend to speak earlier than boys too, which might explain the difference with your dd and ds.

With DS1, I could tell he was really soaking it in, and trying to communicate in other ways, so I tried not to worry too much. If he wasn't speaking at 2 years, I was going to have him evaluated...

mommylamb
02-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Agreed that there is a huge range of normal. DS1 only had a few words at his 15 month appointment and I was worried about it, but by the time he was 18 months, he had about 30-40 words and was speaking in sentences that anyone could understand well before he turned 2. It was amazing how fast he acquired language once he started. DS2 just turned 12 months, and already has a number of words

daniele_ut
02-16-2013, 10:03 AM
DS is 14 months old and says "mama", "dada", "no", "yes" and a few other words. I have zero recollection of how much my older two kids were speaking at this age!

kerridean
02-16-2013, 10:28 AM
http://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/chart.htm

PZMommy
02-16-2013, 11:09 AM
You could always call Early Intervention and have them come out and do an evaluation if you are concerned. My oldest didn't really start talking until he was 17 months old. He had frequent ear infections and got tubes around 17 months, and he hasn't stopped talking since. My youngest is now 17 months and will start getting speech through Early Intervention. He has low tone and low oral motor tone, so he also gets PT and OT through Early Intervention.