PDA

View Full Version : What to wear for skiing in the warmer weather?

kozachka
02-16-2013, 03:25 PM
DS and I took our first skiing lessons at Alpine Meadows in Tahoe two weeks ago, and both loved it. He picked up skiing better than I but we both were cleared to try blue slopes so that's all that matters. I am in the process of arranging another skiing trip for next week-end, and wondering if I can be more comfortable on the slopes.

I was wearing an insulated Coco jacket by Obermyer (scored on RueLaLa for >$100) and was hot even after unzipping vents and removing a hoodie that I had underneath. The only other thing besides the jacket is midweight Capilenne top.

What should I get for spring skiing? A soft shell jacke like North Face Appex Bionic? A waterproof jacket that is not insulated? Have L. L. Bean one from 3-in-1 combo that I can probably use. Or a lighter base layer? Specific suggestions and deals (for size S or 6) would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Globetrotter
02-16-2013, 05:49 PM
For CA skiing, you have to layer! My kids sometimes end up in their short sleeves with ski pants!

I would wear a long sleeve layer, then a fleece zip up, followed by a waterproof jacket. Remove as needed.

I would also take thermals just in case. The other day there was a cold wind and even my dd, who gets overheated easily during skiing, was wearing all her layers.

nupe
02-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Yes, layers. And a backpack to store them in. I ski with the backpack.

Typical spring break morning:
top: base layer LS tee
fleece
outer waterproof layer
Bottom:
base layer tights (i wear athleta winter running type tights)
waterproof outer layer

Typical spring break by lunchtime, if it's sunny:
top: base layer LS tee
bottom: same

In the cold I add a down vest to the above

Mom Magic
02-16-2013, 09:09 PM
What should I get for spring skiing? A soft shell jacke like North Face Appex Bionic? A waterproof jacket that is not insulated? Have L. L. Bean one from 3-in-1 combo that I can probably use. Or a lighter base layer? Specific suggestions and deals (for size S or 6) would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

You had specifically mentioned the North Face Apex Bionic jacket. I just got it yesterday for my husband for spring skiing and he really likes it. Zappos has selected colors on sale for $99 instead of $149

http://www.zappos.com/the-north-face-womens-apex-bionic-jacket-bolt-blue

kozachka
02-17-2013, 02:57 AM
For CA skiing, you have to layer! My kids sometimes end up in their short sleeves with ski pants!

I would wear a long sleeve layer, then a fleece zip up, followed by a waterproof jacket. Remove as needed.

I would also take thermals just in case. The other day there was a cold wind and even my dd, who gets overheated easily during skiing, was wearing all her layers.

Thank you for all the suggestions, ladies. Sounds like I have everything that I need already as long as I am willing to wear the boxy waterproof piece from the 3-in-1 LL Bean jacket. I just hate the non-femenine fit. And think it's too big for me.

I had to look up what a thermal is and how it differs from a soft shell, and this (http://www.thewalkerpost.com/which-north-face-is-right-for-you/) is the best explanation that I could find. Hope it helps someone else.

kozachka
02-17-2013, 03:04 AM
You had specifically mentioned the North Face Apex Bionic jacket. I just got it yesterday for my husband for spring skiing and he really likes it. Zappos has selected colors on sale for $99 instead of $149

http://www.zappos.com/the-north-face-womens-apex-bionic-jacket-bolt-blue

Thank you for sharing. That's a good price from what I can tell after a quick search but am reluctant to pull the trigger on it as it was the Deal of the Day at REI-Outlet yesterday at ~$70, but they were out of my size by the time I read about t (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=453735)his deal on the Bargains Board. The lighter jacket does not have to be from TNF, I am open to buying jackets by other brands as long as they are good quality and are a nice bright color, ideally some shade of blue (to match my helmet).

kozachka
02-17-2013, 03:14 AM
Anybody knows if Patagonia Slopestyle Hooodies would be good for skiing in warmer / spring weather. I like that its price at $65.60. And I should be able to try it in store:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/womens-slopestyle-hoody-for-skiing-snowboarding?p=29843-1-574

or am I better off buying a TNF Chromium thermal jacket for $78:

http://www.rei.com/product/854168/the-north-face-chromium-thermal-jacket-womens-2012-closeout

Globetrotter
02-17-2013, 02:19 PM
I had to look up what a thermal is and how it differs from a soft shell, and this is the best explanation that I could find. Hope it helps someone else.

sorry, I meant thermal underwear! you can get it at REI, Lands End, etc..

elektra
02-17-2013, 03:38 PM
I think you just need to make sure you have the waterproof ski pants, gloves and goggles. Oh and sunscreen!
And then whatever you want to do with the top portion is up to you. I have a friend who has gone in a bikini top.
But I personally like to have at least a light layer underneath a waterproof shell of some sort. Or if it is really hot, then I will just wear my thermal and then make sure to have a change of clothes for afterward if I get too wet from snow or sweat.
FWIW, I am not a fashionista on the slopes. I sort of just make do with what I have, which isn't much.

kozachka
02-17-2013, 07:45 PM
I ended up stopping by a Patagonia store this afternoon and after trying on a few jackets ordering a Slopestyle Hoody in Sky Blue color. It is now $55.60 plus tax so ~$60, and matches my other skiing gear / clothes, which are either blue or black. I like that it has water- and wind-resistant face and micro fleece lining, and thumb loops. It even has a hood. And since the store did not have my size in stock, they waved shipping and I should have it this Wednesday. I

I don't think I'd be able to find another jacket with all these features for the same price by the coming weekend. :bowdown: so much for helping me decide on a light skiing jacket. I own only one fleece jacket (from 3-in-1 LL Bean jacket that I got in 2005) so feel justified in getting something cuter / better fitted for my now slimmer body and new sport. I should be able to get good use out of it from around town as well.

nupe
03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
How is the slopestyle?? It looks cozy but not too warm. I just (just being relative, bought on sale over summer so not worn skiing yet) bought another MH ski jacket so I'm not going to buy another one now. But I might have to try this one on!

kozachka
03-05-2013, 01:42 AM
I don't have a lot of skiing experience or much to compare this Patagonia hoodie to, but I liked it. Much better than my old fleece LL Bean jacket. Definitely not too warm and not too bulky. Has nice hand / feel to it, too.

It was cold on top of Squaw when we went skiing last time, so I wore this as an extra layer under my jacket and it was perfect. I just wish it were more fitted, I am size 2-6 on top, depending on the fit/cut/brand and XS was too tight and S is a bit loose, but I like things really fitted. The color is great, and looks particularly striking with matching non-insulated Snowbelle pants in maraschino red, which I also bought from this sale :loveeyes:. They ended up ~$75 with tax, I needed / wanted another pair of pants anyway as the Oakley ones that I got from RueLaLa for $50 last summer gap a lot in the waist and snow goes down my back every time I fall :(.

http://www.altrec.com/patagonia/womens-snowbelle-pants/