PDA

View Full Version : squatty potty

marge234
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
I came across links to a fancy ($70!) "squatty potty" while looking for a bench for DCs--something that lets them put weight on their feet--and it let me down an internet rabbit hole. Apparently this squatting to go has been a thing? And, then it was on Dr Oz last year, and is now a bigger thing.

BBB is my source for things worth paying attention to, and I found nothing on the squat via search. So, I'm not sure what to make of it. Anyone here have an opinion on this? If not the product itself, what do you think about the idea that squatting is healthier for colon than sitting?

from DR OZ:
Squat to Improve Bowel Movements
If you squat when going to the bathroom instead of sitting, you can release your bowels three times faster. This is actually the position that people around the world used for thousands of years before the invention of toilets. Squatting also reduces the development of hemorrhoids and strengthens your legs. You can purchase a squatting seat to fit on your toilet online.

There are a few different squat enabling devices. Here's a review of one of them.

http://td365.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/review-the-squatty-potty/

crayonblue
02-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Huh. Well, I use my bathroom breaks to catch up on gossip magazines or read a chapter in my current book. So, I kind of like sitting and just hanging out! No squatting for me.

s7714
02-16-2013, 06:47 PM
I came across those a few years ago when googling for people in various positions to use as reference for illustrations. I realized too late that googling the word squatting was a bad idea, LOL! I didn't venture too far down that rabbit hole ;) but it did seem like an interesting concept.

Sweetum
02-16-2013, 08:13 PM
I actually agree with that. A long time ago a physician told me about proper sitting on the pott - move your feet closer to the potty, raise your heels and slightly bend over - kinda like squatting! I might just get this :)
btw, that presentatio was awesome!

Melaine
02-16-2013, 08:51 PM
BBB is my source for things worth paying attention to

:rotflmao:Hilarious! I feel the same way. No clue about the potty though.

trentsmom
02-16-2013, 08:55 PM
I saw something like this awhile back in a catalog and decided I could try out the concept by using DS's stepstool that was already in the bathroom. It's much more comfortable than just sitting the regular way. I now prefer the new position, but I think I'm the only one in the house who does this.

Melaine
02-16-2013, 08:58 PM
I saw something like this awhile back in a catalog and decided I could try out the concept by using DS's stepstool that was already in the bathroom. It's much more comfortable than just sitting the regular way. I now prefer the new position, but I think I'm the only one in the house who does this.

I often use a stool also. I agree it is much more comfortable, especially if you have any related issues. I'm not sure how much better the product would work than a step stool.

marge234
02-17-2013, 03:33 AM
Thanks. Thread has me thinking that rather than looking for one booster for kids we can get a second one-step stool--one on each side of the toilet.

Melaine
02-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Thanks. Thread has me thinking that rather than looking for one booster for kids we can get a second one-step stool--one on each side of the toilet.

I'm thinking yeah...maybe the small ones from ikea or the dollar tree. Then if you think you want to keep it the Squatty Potty might look nicer.

wifecat
02-24-2013, 10:43 AM

We use a tall Ikea stepstool for this purpose. We read about it when dd was having some trouble going poo, and then I came across it in triathlon training (because going #2 is the 4th sport of tri). It's pretty amazing actually.