PDA

View Full Version : What age for first sleepover?

PAfirsttimemom
02-17-2013, 11:10 AM
DS1 turns 7 next month. The past two years we had parties at museums, so this year we are thinking of having one more low-key at home with a few of his friends (whose parents DH and I also know well and have fun hanging out with). To make the home party a little more special, I was thinking of inviting my son's friends to stay overnight. There has already been talk of sleepovers within his group of friends, and I thought it would be fun to have the first one be on DS's bday. Has anyone else done sleepovers at this age? Fun...or bad idea?

Clarity
02-17-2013, 11:25 AM
My dd's set of friends have begun having sleepovers. They're 6 turning 7. We've had 2 of her friends over on different occassion to sleepover and it went fine. I would choose a few boys that you know - and better if you know their parents - and invite those. I'd hesitate to allow dd to sleepover someplace where I didn't know the parents well.

georgiegirl
02-17-2013, 11:41 AM
I think it really depends on the kid. My DD is the exact same age, and there's no way she's really sleep over at someone's house. She might think she would want to. But she's a particular sleeper (likes white noise and goes to bed with specific music), and I know that she might be anxious knowing I wasn't there. But she's a high anxiety kid.

I've heard of people doing pseudo-sleep overs, where the kids come in PJs, watch a movie, do other sleep over stuff, but parents pick the kids up at 8 or 9.

pinkmomagain
02-17-2013, 01:22 PM
IMHO a little young. I'd be more comfortable with it in maybe 4th grade? But a late-over? That's perfect in my book. In fact my 7 yo was just invited to one (I think it ends at about 9:30).

anamika
02-17-2013, 02:24 PM
IMHO a little young. I'd be more comfortable with it in maybe 4th grade? But a late-over? That's perfect in my book. In fact my 7 yo was just invited to one (I think it ends at about 9:30).

DD just had a sleep-under (love the creative names) - kids came over after dinner, watched a movie with popcorn and hot chocolate and then went home at 9:30.
She hasn't had real sleepovers yet - she is in 2nd grade.

eta - My friend did a b'day party where the kids came over for b'fast in their jammies. It sounded like fun.

baileygirl
02-17-2013, 03:22 PM
My DS (6) would love this! I would have no problems sending him, assuming I knew the family well. I let DS sleepover at a friend's house this past summer (different culture so the mom was excited to have him try new foods, etc) and he did great. That said, the kids are still a little young so it might be extra work for you (the kids being nervous, not going to sleep, etc).

KrisM
02-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Not a party, but DD had a friend sleep over a couple times last summer. T hey were both 6.

happymomma
02-17-2013, 05:48 PM
We just had a bday party for DD who turned 7 years old. It was supposed to be just a faux sleepover but we ended up making it an actual sleepover. There were 10 girls that came to the party. I was surprised how many decided to sleepover. We had 8 that said yes to the sleepover but one girl ended up leaving because she changed her mind. So we had 7 girls plus DD in our living room. It actually turned out better than I thought. They all were asleep by 10:30. No one cried or wanted to go home. Then they all woke up at 7am. I also had DS (9) sleepover at a friend's house so that it would be just DD and her friends.

hillview
02-17-2013, 05:57 PM
For DS1 that would be young. He is 7 and would have NO interest. DS2 is only 5 and has asked to have one (we put it off til summer).

PAfirsttimemom
02-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the input!

I should clarify that the party will be for whole families, so all of the parents will be hanging out till pretty late anyway, I would think. So the kids would be left with us alone mostly just for the sleeping hours.

We are pretty close friends with two sets of parents we are planning to invite and are friends with the other three sets but don't know them as well as the other two. If we decide on the sleepover, I am wondering whether to invite all the boys to sleep over or to actually make an ending time to the party (but invite the folks we know the best to stay longer and have their kids stay over).

The moms we know best are already on board for the sleepover. Maybe I should just ask the others how they feel before sending any invites. They might right away say they wouldn't feel comfortable with the overnight.

Appreciate your feedback.