PDA

View Full Version : Favorite tinted lip balm? UPDATE in Post #1

Green_Tea
02-17-2013, 12:50 PM
I am looking for something with a decent amount of pigment and no overwhelming fragrance. I've tried the Burt's Bees one in Red Dahlia (it imparts almost no color), the Sugar one is Rose (too much fragrance, not enough color). I have something from Laura Mercier that's a little too lipstick-y, and one of those Clinique Chubby Sticks that I find a little drying.

I'm a little picky. :rotflmao:

What are you using and loving in the tinted lip balm category?

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

UPDATE: OK, so I tried a few options and thought I'd share...

Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer in Fig: I had initially ruled this out because I thought I had already tried it. After looking at the colors at CVS, though, I decided to give Fig a shot and return it on the spot if I didn't like it. Fig is REALLY pretty, a warm berry wash of color with a little shimmer - not much. I think I had tried Raisin previously, and it was a garish pink on me. Fig is deeper and gives a pretty stain. And it was like $5. Success!

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Honey: I bought this based on the recommendations I saw in another thread. I was skeptical based on the color of the tube, but figured I'd give it a try. I can see why people like it, but it's just too bubble gum pink for my dark hair/fair skin coloring. It would look better on a blond, I think. $10. It's going back to CVS.

Laura Mercier Hydratint SPF 15 in Plum: This is billed as a tinted balm, but it's more lipstick-y in my opinion. The color is gorgeous and it feels really good - you just can't lay it on too thick. I like it, and will keep it, even though I suspect that the Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer will be my go-to. It was $20, so pretty pricey for tinted lip balm, but I am an eternal optimist and believe that the right lip color will change my life ;). ETA - just realized that I referenced this exact product in my OP - Plum is a new color that I hadn't tried previously, though. My assessment of the product remains the same, though!

Thanks for all the input! Keep sharing, as I can never get enough lippies!

BunnyBee
02-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Revlon Lip Butter is nice. There's a new Maybelline version, but I prefer the Revlon. My favorite cheap stuff is C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Tints (Bath & Body Works), but they are very minty.

Green_Tea
02-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Revlon Lip Butter is nice. There's a new Maybelline version, but I prefer the Revlon. My favorite cheap stuff is C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Tints (Bath & Body Works), but they are very minty.

I can actually deal with minty. I don't like fruity/floral. Are the B&BW ones glosses or balms?

crl
02-17-2013, 01:54 PM
If you can deal with minty, you might also look at Purple Prairie. They have a pink tinted lip balm that I like. The color is pretty subtle, the feel is nice and it is moisturizing. They also have a red tinted one that does not work for me--more color and it is a brown red that doesn't look good on me. Wish I could find a subtle plum/purpley-pink lip balm that feels good.

Catherine

BunnyBee
02-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I can actually deal with minty. I don't like fruity/floral. Are the B&BW ones glosses or balms?

They are tinted glosses but they're in a squeezy tube with an angled applicator top. No fuss application, which makes it more like a lip balm. I think of gloss = needing a mirror. That's for dress up around here. :loveeyes:

BunnyBee
02-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Oh, what about Clinique's almost lipstick? The Black Honey looks good on almost everyone. Revlon's Lip Butter in Fig Jam is supposed to be very similar.

crl
02-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Oh, what about Clinique's almost lipstick? The Black Honey looks good on almost everyone. Revlon's Lip Butter in Fig Jam is supposed to be very similar.

Love Clinique's almost lipstick in black honey! Perfect color, but I'd love to find that color in more of a lip balm and less of a lipstick. (More sheer so I didn't need a mirror as a PPer commented and more moisturizing). Sorry I am hijacking here.

Catherine

brittone2
02-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I have lips that have always been prone to chapping, etc. with the one million balms I've tried. It doesn't sound like you want a gloss, but I love this: http://www.josiemarancosmetics.com/shop/argan_color/argan-lip-gloss-compassion I keep one in my room to use before bed even, and one in my purse. It really, really helps my lips and I find it more moisturizing for my lips than any balms I've tried. But yeah, it is a gloss. I don't like the JM one that Sephora sells, which is a different formulation (natural plumping http://www.sephora.com/natural-volume-lip-gloss-P261004 ).

I don't like most lipsticks but do like the Revlon lip butters because they don't dry out my lips.

Green_Tea
02-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Love Clinique's almost lipstick in black honey! Perfect color, but I'd love to find that color in more of a lip balm and less of a lipstick. (More sheer so I didn't need a mirror as a PPer commented and more moisturizing). Sorry I am hijacking here.

Catherine

Hijack away! I am a little obsessed with lip products, so the more people who contribute to the thread, the better!

I have lips that have always been prone to chapping, etc. with the one million balms I've tried. It doesn't sound like you want a gloss, but I love this: http://www.josiemarancosmetics.com/shop/argan_color/argan-lip-gloss-compassion I keep one in my room to use before bed even, and one in my purse. It really, really helps my lips and I find it more moisturizing for my lips than any balms I've tried. But yeah, it is a gloss. I don't like the JM one that Sephora sells, which is a different formulation (natural plumping http://www.sephora.com/natural-volume-lip-gloss-P261004 ).

I don't like most lipsticks but do like the Revlon lip butters because they don't dry out my lips.

My issue with glosses (or anything you squeeze out of a tube) is that they fade faster, and my hair gets caught in it (which drives me crazy).

I have a few Revlon lip butters. They're OK, but I haven't found a color I love and they don't last long, on me anyway. I really like the texture of a balm. I just need a little color.

sophiesmom03
02-17-2013, 04:18 PM

I like the color/quality of these but they are minty and sticky.

calebsmama03
02-18-2013, 01:57 AM
The maybelline one (baby lips) is really nicely pigmented and feels great but definite strong flavor/fragrance (red is like cherry cough syrup) so don't bother with it. Loreal color riche balm is nice. The fragrance/flavor is there but vanilla-ish so not bad. Hard candy also makes one (world balmination) but it is not as heavily pigmented as even the fresh sugar one (which is my fave color wise but I refuse to pay $20 for lip balm that doesn't last long) so you probably won't like it. Those are all I've tried.

pastrygirl
02-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Catherine

Try Palladio tinted lip balm in Brownie! It's often compared to black honey.

ilfaith
02-18-2013, 09:53 AM
The Clinique Almost Lipsticks actually come in a variety of sheer colors. I like Spicy Honey.

http://m.sephora.com/almost-lipstick-P122751#

miki
02-18-2013, 03:45 PM
I like Loreal Color Riche Balm. It's a bit less pigmented than the Revlon Lip Butters but I like the Loreal texture better. The Revlon feels waxy on after a few hours while the Loreal continues to have the smooth, balmy feel. It's got a bit of a sweet scent that fades pretty quickly, sort of like vanilla but not quite.

zukeypur
02-18-2013, 04:30 PM
I have no positive advice, but stay away from Yes To Carrots. They make my lips more chapped.

Pinky
02-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Check out Kiehl's. Love the stuff!

mypa
02-18-2013, 05:13 PM
I like Loreal Color Riche Balm. It's a bit less pigmented than the Revlon Lip Butters but I like the Loreal texture better. The Revlon feels waxy on after a few hours while the Loreal continues to have the smooth, balmy feel. It's got a bit of a sweet scent that fades pretty quickly, sort of like vanilla but not quite.

Agree with everything you said. I like the Loreal Color Riche Balm, too and also prefer it over Revlon Lip Butter.

wendmatt
02-18-2013, 05:35 PM
I LOVE the Zoya stuff. They had a get some free a few years back and now it's all I will use. It is quite thick but it stays on for ages and you can get light colors or dark colors.
http://www.zoya.com/content/38/category/Zoya_Hot_Lips_Lip_Gloss.html

Green_Tea
02-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Bumping for an update in the OP!

stinkyfeet
02-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Glad you found some products you liked. I was just going to suggest trying to mix your favorite lipstick color with something like aquaphor (I personally like Burt's bees original lip balm). I used an old empty bees metal lip balm tin and mixed so me lipstick and lip balm. I usually apply with a lip brush, but you could probably use a finger too. It sounds like you are pretty picky, so maybe if you make it yourself, you can find your perfect formula! ;)

crl
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Sounds like I should try Burts Bees lip shimmer in fig. :D

Catherine

Green_Tea
02-20-2013, 03:09 PM

Catherine

You totally should!

arivecchi
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Late to this but I love acquaphor with loreal colour juice.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=433297&catid=183853&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler

http://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Paris-Colour-Watermelon-0-5-Fluid/dp/B004BJ71KI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361387487&sr=8-1&keywords=loreal+color+juice

jerseygirl07067
02-20-2013, 05:58 PM
I like burt's bees in peony. Very natural looking with a hint of color...though I am fair.

hellokitty
02-20-2013, 07:18 PM
I have bb in fig and yes, it is a nice color! I didn't recommend it though, since you had originally ruled out bb, lol. Glad you found something that works and is relatively cheap!

DrSally
02-20-2013, 10:57 PM

Catherine
:yeahthat: i think we have similar coloring, so I should try fig. I also had BB raisin at one point and found it too bright. Great idea from PP on mixing balm and tube lipstick. I almost never wear lipstick straight up.

Another thing I do is use a lipstain ( NYX has a good one called Spice), and put some Smith's Rosebud salve over it. Lasts long and no goopiness.

crl
02-20-2013, 11:40 PM
:yeahthat: i think we have similar coloring, so I should try fig. I also had BB raisin at one point and found it too bright. Great idea from PP on mixing balm and tube lipstick. I almost never wear lipstick straight up.

Another thing I do is use a lipstain ( NYX has a good one called Spice), and put some Smith's Rosebud salve over it. Lasts long and no goopiness.

Dh describes my coloring as pasty English girl--pale skin, pale blue eyes and very dark brown hair.

Catherine

kristenk
02-20-2013, 11:53 PM
I think I have a recommendation for you!

I don't like lipstick b/c I just don't like the feel of it on my lips and then the colors never look right on me. I tried a variety of tinted balms, but nothing really seemed to work well until I found Korres Lip Butter (http://www.sephora.com/lip-butter-P199109?skuId=1052687). It's fabulous! I purchased a set at Sephora that had 3 different colors and I actually use all of them even though they're drastically different colors (range from pale pink to vivid red). The amount of color changes/deepens based on how much you put on (and it doesn't take much). The best part of all is that it doesn't feel weird on my lips to me.

DrSally
02-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Dh describes my coloring as pasty English girl--pale skin, pale blue eyes and very dark brown hair.

Catherine

I know, oops, meant the OP and me have similar coloring.

crl
02-21-2013, 12:45 AM
I know, oops, meant the OP and me have similar coloring.

Ah.

Catherine

daisymommy
02-21-2013, 10:56 AM
I have the Burt's Bees in Fig in every purse, bag, car, bathroom, LOL, love it!

Sent from my iPad

Green_Tea
02-21-2013, 11:01 AM

Sent from my iPad

Oh good - that makes me feel a little less ridiculous for buying a second one when I ran into Whole Foods for eggs last night! I figure I need one for my desk at school, one for home, one for my purse...

zukeypur
02-21-2013, 11:32 AM
I wore Burt's Bees several years ago and loved it, but DH complained that it smelled like the air freshened that they use in porta-potties and he wouldn't kiss me.

pastrygirl
02-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Sent from my iPad

That's how I am with the Palladio lip balm in Brownie. I keep one everywhere!