PDA

View Full Version : Anyone turn their wedding gown into a communion dress?

SASM
02-17-2013, 05:02 PM
DD1's First Communion is quickly approaching, as it is on May 4th. As I sit here, searching through First Communion dresses online, my thoughts have been drifting to my wedding dress. It is 14 years old, wasn't properly washed and stored, and most likely wouldn't be either DDs' style when it is their time. I am contemplating making a communion dress out of it for DD1 followed by DD2. Thankfully, DD2 has been smaller than DD1 so she will most likely be able to wear it as well. Both DDs also wore my grandmother's almost-90yo christening gown, as well, so it seems fitting. Just having second thoughts. It seems logical, especially since we are moving and are in mega-purge mode. It would be easier to move a small First Communion dress as opposed to a wedding dress, that I will probably donate somewhere along the way. YIKES...has anyone done this??

amm40
02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
I think it's a great idea and would do it if i had a girl! I'd get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing it used. But a bit of sadness/nostalgia to see it go too. I have the same story, love the dress but its not silk and not preservable.

KpbS
02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
What a beautiful idea! Could you unpack it and see what kind of condition it is in before making a decision?

sarahsthreads
02-17-2013, 05:41 PM
I wish I'd thought of it early enough to do it with DD1! Though maybe it's not too late - DD2 generally wears bigger sizes than DD1 at the same ages, so she probably won't fit into DD1's dress. I also have an almost 14-year-old wedding dress, sitting in my old closet at my parents' house. Unpreserved. It seems like by the time anyone would want to wear it, it will be a) too stained to bother and b) too fussy for anyone's style. (Full disclosure: I liked my dress well enough, but bowed a lot to family pressure and tradition (long lace sleeves because it's in a church, really?) and I never really loved it the way I think you're supposed to love your wedding gown.)

I've recently been helping my mom help my grandma clean out her house, and I do wonder what my grandma expects will happen someday to the mother-of-the-bride dresses she insisted on still keeping from her daughters' weddings, which were 40-ish years ago. I almost think it's better to let stuff like this go sooner rather than later, before it becomes such a permanent feature of your closet/life that you can't ever let it go. Now if I could only take my own advice...

Sarah :)

KpbS
02-17-2013, 05:46 PM
A couple of links I found

http://scrutinies.net/2012/05/first-communion-dress-a-k-a-i-finished-a-thing.html

http://morethanenough7.blogspot.com/2011/05/before-after-first-holy-communion-dress.html

pinay
02-17-2013, 06:53 PM
My aunt is a seamstress and used a portion of my wedding dress to make DD1's baptismal dress- DD2 will get to wear it as well. I think there's even enough left over to make a handkerchief or a ring pillow for the girls to have when they get married if they want to. I think it's a great idea to repurpose a wedding dress!

SASM
02-17-2013, 06:56 PM
What a beautiful idea! Could you unpack it and see what kind of condition it is in before making a decision?

I was trying to find it earlier...buried in my garage in a tote. Clearly, it doesn't have a proper home, further cementing my idea! ;) Now to find someone to design it!! I am soooo NOT a seamstress.

SASM
02-17-2013, 06:59 PM
I wish I'd thought of it early enough to do it with DD1! Though maybe it's not too late - DD2 generally wears bigger sizes than DD1 at the same ages, so she probably won't fit into DD1's dress. I also have an almost 14-year-old wedding dress, sitting in my old closet at my parents' house. Unpreserved. It seems like by the time anyone would want to wear it, it will be a) too stained to bother and b) too fussy for anyone's style. (Full disclosure: I liked my dress well enough, but bowed a lot to family pressure and tradition (long lace sleeves because it's in a church, really?) and I never really loved it the way I think you're supposed to love your wedding gown.)

I've recently been helping my mom help my grandma clean out her house, and I do wonder what my grandma expects will happen someday to the mother-of-the-bride dresses she insisted on still keeping from her daughters' weddings, which were 40-ish years ago. I almost think it's better to let stuff like this go sooner rather than later, before it becomes such a permanent feature of your closet/life that you can't ever let it go. Now if I could only take my own advice...

Sarah :)

Good luck with gma's house and belongings! I am thinking "awesome vintage"... :)

SASM
02-17-2013, 07:00 PM
A couple of links I found

http://scrutinies.net/2012/05/first-communion-dress-a-k-a-i-finished-a-thing.html

http://morethanenough7.blogspot.com/2011/05/before-after-first-holy-communion-dress.html

Thank you! Great ideas and beautifully finished dresses! :) Now, I just need to find someone since I definitely do NOT trust myself with this delicate "project"!

SASM
02-17-2013, 07:01 PM
My aunt is a seamstress and used a portion of my wedding dress to make DD1's baptismal dress- DD2 will get to wear it as well. I think there's even enough left over to make a handkerchief or a ring pillow for the girls to have when they get married if they want to. I think it's a great idea to repurpose a wedding dress!

What a beautiful idea! :)

scrooks
02-17-2013, 08:14 PM
I think it's a great idea...very similar to what a pp said...my aunt is also a very good seamstress. People at her church have actually been paying her to take their wedding dresses and make baptismal gowns. I think it's a fairly common practice and a great idea!

123LuckyMom
02-17-2013, 08:41 PM
I wanted to do this for DS, but my mother wouldn't let me. She said it would be bad luck to cut my dress. I disagree! I didn't do it out of respect for her, but I think it's a wonderful thing to do!!! I definitely think you should go for it!!!

Gena
02-17-2013, 09:08 PM
My MIL used my wedding dress to make a baptismal gown for DS. It turned out beautiful and I love it.

I say go for it!