PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work with an online or small design service

niccig
02-17-2013, 05:50 PM
We need to do some work to our house - kitchen remodel (will gut as cabinets really bad) and with our bathrooms. For the bathrooms we need to work with some existing fixtures eg. blue tile in shower/bath, but we'll redo floor, vanity, mirror, lights.

We're thinking of getting someone to help us figure out how to tie existing with new and have updated rooms. Basically we want to make the rooms look like more money has been spent than we actually did. So need someone willing to work on small budget and get best bang for our buck.

Any advice on how to find someone?

AnnieW625
02-17-2013, 05:53 PM
I can PM you my friend's information. We have only used her so far for a color consult, but she has done some small work like a friend's kitchen.

niccig
02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
I can PM you my friend's information. We have only used her so far for a color consult, but she has done some small work like a friend's kitchen.

That would be great. We know we need to do some work on the house, but with DH talking of moving in 3 yrs when I'm done with school, we don't want to go overboard.

egoldber
02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
We've worked with kitchen designers at Home Depot several times. Not all are great, but they are free and some of them are very good. We have found one at our local Home Depot who helped us tweak the kitchen plan for our new house because the KD our builder uses was terrible.

We recently hired a decorator to come in and do a "paint consult". For a flat fee she went through the house and gave us an overall scheme and a detailed paint list for each room. For a per hour fee she will do other things for us as well: look for fixtures, accessories, furniture that go with what we have. We found her on Angie's List.

niccig
02-17-2013, 05:58 PM
We've worked with kitchen designers at Home Depot several times. Not all are great, but they are free and some of them are very good. We have found one at our local Home Depot who helped us tweak the kitchen plan for our new house because the KD our builder uses was terrible.

We recently hired a decorator to come in and do a "paint consult". For a flat fee she went through the house and gave us an overall scheme and a detailed paint list for each room. For a per hour fee she will do other things for us as well: look for fixtures, accessories, furniture that go with what we have. We found her on Angie's List.

Thanks Beth, I am on Angie's list so I'll look there too. Like the financial planner thread, we don't want someone that only works on big budget accounts.

egoldber
02-17-2013, 06:01 PM
If all you want is someone to tell you what to do to update the house for re-sale, you may want to consider a professional stager. In prep for selling our current house, we had a stager come through. She recommended paint schemes, things to update (paint, carpet, bath fixtures, flooring) and things not to bother with. That might be a better use of your time and money.

mackmama
02-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Check this place out - you basically send in pics of your space online and get an interior designer to help you. I've had it bookmarked to use for our next home when we move. http://www.mydesignguide.com/index.php