PDA

View Full Version : lets be honest, how often do you use your blender?

AnnieW625
02-17-2013, 06:31 PM
trying to see if buying a Vitamix would really be worth for us. We use our current Waring Bar Blender to make smoothies or soup about once a week.

poll coming

daniele_ut
02-17-2013, 06:46 PM
I chose the option for how often we use our blender but not what kind we have. We use our Ninja blender 2-3 times a day.

crl
02-17-2013, 06:53 PM
We have a crappy old blender with a plastic pitcher. We use it less than once a month, mostly because I hate cleaning it and partly because it has a small crack and that makes cleaning it even worse. But I can never decide if we would use a better one enough to make it worth buying.

Catherine

Melaine
02-17-2013, 06:54 PM
I would say realistically we use it 5 times a week. But in the summer it wasn't unusual to use it twice a day. There are weeks we haven't used it, but we use it at least a couple times most weeks. (we have a vitamix)

khm
02-17-2013, 06:58 PM
I chose once per day, $50-100 blender. I think it was closer to $100 because it had a food processing attachment, but I'm not sure. It was a wedding gift, 13 years ago. We've used the heck out of it, obviously. I make primarily smoothies with frozen fruit/veggies. It handles the frozen Costco strawberries just fine (they are BIG).

I don't make soups with it, I just never think about it. When I do make soup, the kinds I want aren't "blender" soups, I guess. :)

elliput
02-17-2013, 07:14 PM
We just bought a Ninja blender with the single serve cup option (but not the all-purpose model). It replaces both a Cuisinart single serve blender and an Oster blender which were on their last legs or already dead. The single serve cups get used everyday at least once. The regular carafe will see once or twice a week use when it is warmer.

KrisM
02-17-2013, 07:19 PM
I voted other because 1 or less was over stating the usage. We use it a couple times a year.

kaharris83
02-17-2013, 07:21 PM
A few times a month at most. We bought a Vitamix this summer and swore wed use it daily. We don't.

lhafer
02-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Had a crappy blender and never used it. Got a vitamix and use it at least once a day now. Totally worth it.

vludmilla
02-17-2013, 08:12 PM
We have a Blendtec and our use of it goes in spurts. There are weeks when I use it daily and weeks when I use it once or twice a week.

ellies mom
02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
We hardly ever use ours. It is a Kitchen Aid. We've had it for 13 years. I think it was $130-ish.

PunkyBoo
02-17-2013, 08:32 PM
We have a cheapo under $100 blender but we use if often. The nanny and I make smoothies for the kids fairly often because lately its hard to find fruit Punkin will eat much of and its hard to get Boo to eat much non-cheese protein. Our usual recipe includes bananas and frozen berries as well as a healthy portion of Greek yogurt and acai juice for extra vitamins (struggling with illnesses this month.)

I have a separate immersion hand blender that I used daily for baby food for Boo and now only use occasionally. I like chunky soups so I only use it when I need/want soup to be smooth.

o_mom
02-17-2013, 08:33 PM
The options seem so inadequate to describe our blender use.... I can't remember the last times we pulled it out. < 1/yr would be more like our frequency.

sarahsthreads
02-17-2013, 09:00 PM
The options seem so inadequate to describe our blender use.... I can't remember the last times we pulled it out. < 1/yr would be more like our frequency.

:yeahthat:

I think I made some strawberry blended thing with the kids last summer. Or maybe it was the summer before? Every time I lug it up from the basement I have to wash off the layers of dust before we use it. :bag

I don't buy smoothies either, I honestly don't quite get the appeal.

When I made baby food, I did use a tiny food processor, or (more often) just mashed up whatever food we were currently eating with a fork. We started on the later side with both girls and didn't need really smooth/thin purees.

(I also (gasp) don't own a stand mixer. Despite our ill-equipped kitchen, we muddle through.)

Sarah :)

ahisma
02-17-2013, 09:17 PM
I used my old blender rarely to never.

I use my Vitamix almost daily, sometimes several times a day. We've had it for a year. We've a veggie / vegan family and have always eaten a ton of produce though, so it wasn't a huge step for us.

rin
02-17-2013, 09:29 PM
We have two, one that we use all the time (probably at least once a day) and one that we never use, can't think of when we last did. The one we use all the time is a hand blender; I love using it for soups, baby food, salad dressing, etc. It doesn't really make good smoothies, though; they get all foamy and it can't handle things like spinach or hard frozen fruit. The other is a crappy pitcher blender with a zillion parts to take apart for cleaning, which we could just get rid of since I hate it. It doesn't really even work all that well, and there's always chunks left if I try to make smoothies.

I would love a Vitamix for smoothies, but I just can't justify the price. I think my DH would have a heart attack if I told him I wanted to get a blender that cost almost as much as a new dishwasher.

abh5e8
02-17-2013, 09:33 PM
not that often. but I used it enough to kill the motor, twice (on 2 different osters from walmart). i'm sure we would use a vitamix 3-4 days per week, as dc LOVE smoothies and I make "blender batter pancakes/waffles" at least twice per week. (now I make them in the food processor, but they are not as good as in the blender.)

ang79
02-17-2013, 09:37 PM
not that often. but I used it enough to kill the motor, twice (on 2 different osters from walmart). i'm sure we would use a vitamix 3-4 days per week, as dc LOVE smoothies and I make "blender batter pancakes/waffles" at least twice per week. (now I make them in the food processor, but they are not as good as in the blender.)

Care to share what these blender batter pancakes and waffles are? Recipe? I'm intrigued, as my girls LOVE pancakes and waffles!

AnnieW625
02-17-2013, 09:38 PM
I would love a Vitamix for smoothies, but I just can't justify the price. I think my DH would have a heart attack if I told him I wanted to get a blender that cost almost as much as a new dishwasher.

Yeah we might potentially need a new dishwasher in a few months, and yesterday we were talking about finally replacing our almost 10 yr. old tv for my birthday in June and we are looking at one that is between 45-50" and about $500 at Costco. I think I would have way more buyer's remorse buying the Vitamix than I would an iPad Mini or the TV because I know for sure I would use them more than the blender as well. (:bag goes over my head, and exits BBB forum in shame:()

teresah00
02-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Vitamix 2-3 times a day. Our old blender was a cuisinart and I used it a few times a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smilequeen
02-17-2013, 10:16 PM
I rarely used my standard Kitchen Aid blender. We have a Vitamix now and we use it at least once a day.

ZeeBaby
02-17-2013, 10:31 PM
We use our blender about 1-2 times per week. I use it to make my protein shake on the weekend.

maestramommy
02-17-2013, 10:40 PM
i use my blender to make smoothies and soups, but in the winter it goes way down as my kids don't get into smoothies. I tend to use my food processor a lot more.

wellyes
02-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Every day when I have fresh greens, I am wild about green smoothies (my best source of iron).

The Vitamix is better than any other blender I've ever had because it can make soups and ice cream as well as smoothies. My old Waring was adequate for smoothies, if there were no strawberries or flax seeds.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-17-2013, 10:58 PM
I've only had our Vitamix for barely 2 weeks, but we've been using it 2x a day, at least (smoothies in the morning then after getting home from school/work). I love it. At least for me, the price (and watching so many Youtube demos :)) encouraged me to actually use it, look up recipes and get our family to eat more fruits and veggies. We are definitely eating much more healthier and the kids (and DH & I) love the smoothies. I've made soup with it too and it was much better than when i used our old regular blender to make it...was much smoother and creamier.

With our old blender, we probably used it only once or twice a month. It was okay, but was a PITA to clean all the parts. the Vitamix ease of cleaning is another reason i love to use it..it's so quick and easy to clean so i don't ever dread using it. this is HUGE imo. i hate cleaning. i have a 3yo and almost 2yo..i dont' need to be spending more time on cleaning than i already do!

I think the Vitamix is really useful, relative to other kitchen appliances IMO. FWIW, I've had a KitchenAid Stand Mixer for over 5 years and i've NEVER used it. :bag. Luckily, it was a wedding gift off our registry, but still... I feel kinda bad it's a pricey appliance and i've havent' even used it once. The reality is I just don't bake that often (and actually i've gone gluten free now). With the Vitamix, it's something you can just whip up in seconds and is easy to clean.

LizLemon
02-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Had a crappy blender and never used it. Got a vitamix and use it at least once a day now. Totally worth it.

:yeahthat:
I was using an immersion blender or food processor because I found my old blender was so annoying. I stopped making smoothies because the blender didn't do a good job on ice, frozen fruit, etc. I use the Vitamix all the time. For me, the frequency of using my old blender (even when it was working well) didn't predict how often I would use the Vitamix. The Vitamix is just so much easier to operate and clean, and can do so much more.

jammytoast
02-18-2013, 12:13 AM
I've a cuisinart that gets pulled out about 4 times a year. We use a hand blender for protein shakes about 3x a week.

sweet_pea
02-18-2013, 12:19 AM
I have only a stick (immersion) blender (Cuisinart). It works really well for the blending I do most often – soups. I've also used it for drinks and pancake batter and it does an okay job if there's enough of the liquid in the bowl. I don't know how it compares to the blending job of high-end full-featured blenders, but it's adequate for my needs and I like that it's easy to clean and tucks away in the kitchen cabinet.

calebsmama03
02-18-2013, 01:48 AM
We got a blendtec in August and use it at least once a day. LOVE it. Mostly for green smoothies but I also make gluten free banana muffins 2-3 times a week in it, among other things.

ETA: I also have a stick (immersion) blender I use for soups.

okinawama
02-18-2013, 02:01 AM
I drink a shakeology shake daily and I use my 20 dollar immersion blender.

kijip
02-18-2013, 02:15 AM
We use our blender so often we freecycled it. I don't miss it. Ever. At all. I have a food processor.

KpbS
02-18-2013, 02:23 AM
I used mine every other day when making batches of formula and now we use it once a week or so for salad dressings or the occasional soup or salsa. And ours is a cheapie but has lasted a couple of years with lots of use.

LexyLou
02-18-2013, 02:37 AM
We both drink between 1-3 shakes per day. So our blender gets a lot of use, but we use a smaller personal sized blender.

Our large blender gets used MAYBE twice a year.

This is the smaller blender we have now and I love it! It blends ice in seconds, whereas the magic bullet NEVER got all the ice blended.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YLEXBO/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

joonbug
02-18-2013, 08:20 AM
I voted 1-3 times a day but really should hve voted 'Other' We have a regular blender that gets use maybe couple times a year (to make frozen drinks ;) but we also have a Magic Buller that I use to blend food for DD (almost 4, but feeding issues and we've been blending food since she was 1...), I use it at least once a day. So not a typical situation... DH will use it maybe once a week or so to make a smoothie for himself. I love that thing, it's built to last and we've really put ours through the wringer (the first one broke down after 1.5 year or so of daily use, this one has been goig strong so far...).

brittone2
02-18-2013, 08:49 AM
2-4x a week. In the summer, we do more smoothies (and I make frozen/blended coffee for myself sometimes), so it would be closer to 4-5x a week I'd say. Regular no frills blender, 50-100 bucks. We also have an immersion blender and a food processor. I use them all pretty often. We debate the vitamix but I'm happy with what we have for 90% of applications. No doubt the Vitamix could probably fill a gap for us, but what we have definitely works most of the time for our family.

123LuckyMom
02-18-2013, 09:02 AM
I haven't used mine in years!!! It just gathers dust on the counter. I have an immersion blender for soup, and we don't do smoothies.

westwoodmom04
02-18-2013, 11:02 AM
We use it in spurts, probably averages out to once a month. I probably use the food processor more. But that's why we will never own a Vitamix.